Advice Please - Andy (CWS)

djl

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:12 pm
You're a gentleman and a scholar (?), Justalurker. Of all the writers, Andy seems most knowledgeable, you seem the most unbiased and judicious, and Kevin, aside from his EcoWater leanings, the most entertaining!

Thanks all. Keep the posts coming (as you can afford the time)...

Encouraged a bit,
DJL
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:13 pm
djl wrote:
Steam distiller? So the RO unit won't knock out nitrates?

The RO will reduce Nitrates, but a distiller will eliminate them.
We had a huge problem with Nitrates in Frederick, MD. and
distillers were the best solution to the problem.

I prefer the large 7000 series from WaterWise Cool
0 Replies

djl

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:14 pm
And here I was hoping it could take out the "H" so I could have a pure oxygen dispenser and make millions :wink:

DJL
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:19 pm
djl wrote:
Dear Gary,

Thanks for taking the time to write a lengthy reply to this thread. Of course, after all you've written, my obvious question is, what do you recommend? I'm not exactly a DIY'r but would be willing to consider alternatives to what I'm considering if I could get someone local to install them. Try to be really specific about your recommendation - brand, model numbers, estimated costs, etc. - whatever might be helpful.

I'm looking at a softener for a family of five and a good RO unit for under our kitchen sink. The local chlorine is about 1 or 1.1. I'm not sure about the hardness, but it's certainly hard. My TDS meter is still packed in a box somewhere.

Thanks,
DJL

I suggest a correctly sized softener using a Clack WS-1 control valve and IF you have a need for an RO, I have many to choose from but, for chlorine, a dual drinking water filter with an RO long reach faucet is a much better choice. You can tee that to a 'fridge etc. too.

The size of the softener depends on your the size of the family (5), the number of bathrooms and type of fixtures which dictates your peak demand flow rate gpm. If that gpm exceeds the SFR (service flow rating stated in gpm) of the volume of resin in the softener, the softener can not remove all the hardness in your water.

Note Andy has said the Kinetico has an 11 gpm, max 15 gpm. That 11 gpm is the constant SFR and the 15 gpm is the peak gpm of the 2040. BTW, the 15 gpm is measured @ 15 psi pressure loss across the softener.

That all means that whenever your peak demand gpm is over 11 gpm the softener will not remove all the 7 gpg of hardness in your water and, the 15 gpm is after your pressure is reduced by 15 psi through the softener. IOWs, the softener will allow 15 gpm flow through it @ 15 psi pressure loss.

There is no way a homeowner can measure their peak demand flow rate unless they buy an expensive logging water meter and use it for a month or 3. Well there are 4 of the 5 US national plumbing codes that have a SFR code for sizing softeners but, they basically come up with figures based on all the fixtures in the house being used at the same time. So I do not use those codes' worksheets. I draw from my experience in sizing water treatment equipment and the fact that the Clack WS-1 records the highest gpm ever run through it. So all my customers can tell if I have told them the wrong size softener.

So far I have not been told I've gotten the SFR wrong in over 1100 sales of the Clack WS-1. That includes justalurker, he is talking about me in his previous rantings (if you didn't know). He bought a 1.5 ft3 softener from me in July 2004 with a Clack WS-1 on it. So far he has never said it didn't work right but he doesn't say what our real problem was in August 2005 that upset him with me so much.

As to installation, it is very simple water line plumbing that anyone can learn how to do with 30 minutes of practice to learn how to solder if they don't know how. I teach my customer how to solder if they want me to but you may be able to install without any soldering. Or you can easily find many plumbers that will do an installation. IIRC justalurker had never soldered before so he used corrugated Falcon flexible SS tubing. Pictures are on my forum. My record DIYers are two 4' 11" 72 year old twin spinster sisters in Fl that lived together. They installed their softener out along the side of their house. Even did some digging.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:23 pm
djl wrote:
And here I was hoping it could take out the "H" so I could have a pure oxygen dispenser and make millions :wink:

DJL

That would be sweet !! Cool
0 Replies

djl

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:23 pm
Sorry H2O man, the distiller is a bit much for our budget and need. We've been drinking RO water for upwards of 20 years in three different states (soon to be four) and have made out well - readings around 20 or less on the TDS meter I bought. If a little bit of whatever squeezes through, I'll take the consequences. Besides, though it was a very different unit from what you suggested, we used a distilled water unit years ago. I found the distilled water a bit too reactive with whatever vessel it is put into. I like keeping water in the fridge.

Thanks anyhow.
DJL
0 Replies

djl

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 03:41 pm
Dear Gary,

Thanks for your last post.

I'm afraid I'm just not able to follow what you're saying about the "gpm" and "sfr" and I'm not interested in doing the plumbing. In one of my posts, I gave the family size, the number of bathrooms, etc., etc. and can't do much better than that, I'm afraid.

In all fairness, I would rather establish a relationship with a dealer (preferably somewhat local) who can service the units when needed. If one of your units needs service, I would need to call someone not associated with it and who might want nothing to do with the warranty that comes with it. And I don't plan on trying to fix them myself even though you say that's relatively easy.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who appreciate the DIY route but I'm not one of them, sorry. As a pastor, I've got a lot of other things keeping me busy. I'd prefer that Water softeners and RO units not be one of them.

Thanks,
DJL
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 04:20 pm
djl,

Thanks for the nice comments. Most of here are hoping to help you without personal profit or badmouthing others. Although justalurker, H20man and I have varying (and like) opinions, and experiences, I feel comfortable sharing this and other forums with them as we respect each others views and preferences. I have learned a lot from their input, knowledge, experience and humor.

It's important to know how leave one's ego at the door. And when there are differences, it serves no one to bash and bludgeon another's character in what is certainly considered unprofessional; neither is it allowed to solicit posters to one's own personal profit, both of which may cause the moderators to delete posts--as I have noticed a few times recently--or eventually ban the member totally. Simple rules and codes of conduct to follow.

As for wishing to deal with matters locally, I support that notion fully. I am problem solver and it serves my customers well for me to actually be there and handle issues in person. Sometimes shortcuts in price can make the road to recovery very long and costly.

I really don't have much more to offer at this point but feel free to pose more inquiries and concerns. Those who wish to help you will earnestly do so with sincerity, humility, and respect.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
0 Replies

djl

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:27 pm
Thanks, Andy.

I guess one last question. Knowing as much as you do about my situation, if you were in my shoes, what would be your choice?

I won't trouble you with more questions unless something decidedly new pops up. Thanks ever so much for your patience, professionalism, and humility.

Grateful,
DJL
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 05:58 pm
djl wrote:
Thanks, Andy.

I guess one last question. Knowing as much as you do about my situation, if you were in my shoes, what would be your choice?

I won't trouble you with more questions unless something decidedly new pops up. Thanks ever so much for your patience, professionalism, and humility.

Grateful,
DJL

You had been asking about the 2040 model, but actually, I have selected the 4040 model for my family. That is the four-tank system with separate carbon tanks. Or, the 2060 OD which uses their paraflow technology. That allows for even higher flow rates.

If you were to go with the 2040, a dechlorination device would be a help to prolong the useful life of the resins and other benefits.

Yesterday, I sold a 2175 (up to 175 grains) to remove 118 grains and 0.5 iron. They will use a lot of salt but it will work. They had 6ppm sulfur but that is a different animal.

The EcoWater unit will also do you well. What's really important is that you feel confident with the people you work with. Ones that won't pass off their problems by finger pointing and disparaging remarks towards others in an attempt to elevate themselves. Moreover, if and when there is a problem, they can respond in a proper manner and deal with issues. These are machines and we are people--nothing is perfect. Get a professional who treats you with respect and courtesy

Let us know how you manage it.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 09:58 pm
DJL, I am turning the other check, and I promise to not disrespect you although for the benefit of other members reading this now and in the future, I won't be granting your wish to stop replying.

djl wrote:
Gentlemen,

First, I would ask that Gary stop posting to my thread. First of all, you never answered my question - I asked for your recommendation. Instead you couldn't resist (as usual) form carping on everyone else who's trying to help me out. I haven't been in the water business a single day in my life, but even I could answer some of the comments you made in your last post.

I'm sorry you see it that way, and that you would want me to stop replying in this or any other thread, here or anywhere else on the internet. I have donated time and effort to give you accurate information and I was waiting for your analysis data before replying as to what I would propose.

What you call "carping" I call debate and I do that to correct info you or others are given by others here or anywhere else I post. I'm not sure that you understand the others' agendas but they do have them. My agenda is to help others help themselves and yes, I make many sales because of my posts (about 17,000) over the last twelve years.

Anyway, below I am going to reply to some things you are making incorrect assumptions about.

djl wrote:
The point Andy was making is that even if the Kinetico takes additional regenerations over the traditional type (it likely will since it's a smaller unit), the point is its capacity to supply unlimited soft water cannot be rivaled due to the twin-tank design.

Andy never answers the question of how many regenerations per week but you are correct that there will be many of them using the lbs of salt and gallons of water he stated. Please let me know if you get any Kinetico salesman to tell you how many regenerations their softener will be doing per week. Until then you can not compare their softener to other softeners.

djl wrote:
We've had many an occurrence in our family, especially when all 8 of our children lived at home (a year ago) where the soft water from our Eco system "ran out."

Then your experience is normal, I hear of that about every other day.. I speak with many people with the same story. That tells us that your old softener was undersized, too small, and if you look at the largest Ecowater softener, they can not produce a larger size than the cabinet can hold; usually no larger than a 1.2 ft3 softener.

djl wrote:
So no matter what system you're selling, Gary (Clack valves notwithstanding), there's going to be down times and the 2-5 am window doesn't account for the whole of those down times. If the unit doesn't regenerate till then and the usage was unusually high before, you're out however many hours before the regeneration takes place. So you're not paying lots of money for just three hours.

What I sell comes standard with both metered/demand initiated immediate and delayed regenerations. It also has variable reserve based on previous water usage in gallons day by day over the last 21 days. Neither Ecowater or Kinetico, or many other softeners have both immediate and delayed regenerations.

Or I can go with a twin tank softener with a Clack alternating motor control and two softeners using the Clack WS-1 control valve. That system has many advantages that Kinetico twins do not and it gives you 24/7 softened water. And they can be counter current regenerated, with fine mesh or SST-60 resin. I also sell regular twin tank softeners using Fleck control valves. MOST families don't need a twin tank type softener. So I certainly can and do compete with Kinetico twin tank softeners.

djl wrote:
Furthermore, with the Kinetico unit, you have less parts to go bad since your factoring out all the electronics. Here in NW Arkansas there are a number of outages which makes this an issue for us, the Kinetico system having no electronics to "go out" with the power outages.

Fewer parts, really? Then you have no idea of how many tiny gears they have or that the control valve has three modules with a number of valves and springs and gaskets etc., and their latest valve possibly has more parts. The Clack WS-1 has all of 5 replaceable or wearable parts.

djl wrote:
Additionally, Gary, I don't know if you have a relationship with the Lord Jesus, but if you don't you should and if you do, it needs some repairing. You seem just achin to pick a fight with whoever writes, no matter how well-intentioned they are. I don't mind an honest disagreement, but your manner of communicating on this and other websites tends to always return to the abrasive. As I said before, I don't know a lot about softeners, but as a pastor I know a fair deal about the human heart. Please get the help you need from the only One Who can give it. And that help is free. And the warranty on that is better than lifetime.

Though I understand and respect your right to write on any open forum, I would appreciate you not contributing further to this one.

Yeah I'm not all that PC but I voluntarily spent more than a couple years defending your and my right to freedom of speech and freedom of religion pastor and I'll kindly and respectfully assert my right to reply to what I choose to and how I choose. Notice I have not said anything about you personally, very unlike what has been said about me.

djl wrote:
I tried to get better numbers today. A local WaterCare man came ... The hardness appeared to be between 5-6 grains. There's 2 ppm nitrates and 0.3 ppm nitrites. The chlorine reading seemed rather negligible. He was talking about installing either a CareSoft EM unit or CareClear softener and a RO-18 RO unit for approximately $1,390. ... The only attractive thing about the whole deal is that there in town and the price, though I learned long ago, "You get what you pay for.".... On the upside, regarding labor, he said they charge a flat fee of $60 for each service call plus whatever parts might be needed. The warranty was singularly unimpressive. The RO membrane, for example, was only a one-year.

A number of years ago I was a dealer for WaterCare. They have good equipment although it is proprietary, yet the control valves are made by Clack and Fleck.

You can top dress a softener for the removal of Nitrates, or use a Nitrate filter that regenerates with softener salt, or use a drinking water filter with a special Nitrate cartridge or an RO or distiller.

djl wrote:
So do I buy two of these (over time) to compensate for the price of the Eco unit or close to two and a half of them for the price of the Kinetico?

Getting weary of the whole business...
DJL

I say buy online and spend a lot less than for any of them, including the WaterCare and hire a plumber or church member? to install it. You'll get nonproprietary industry standard equipment that any person 14 or older, including any local dealer can repair if they want to.
Gary Slusser

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2008 10:43 pm
djl wrote:
Dear Gary,

Thanks for your last post.

I'm afraid I'm just not able to follow what you're saying about the "gpm" and "sfr"
DJL

GPM is gallons per minute. SFR is service flow rating, all softeners have SFRs; constant and peak gpm @ 15 psi pressure loss across the softener.

The SFR depends on the cubic foot volume of resin in the softener.

Every time the constant SFR gpm of the softener is exceeded, the resin is unable to remove all the hardness in the water.

Andy gave you the SFRs of the 2040, now I see he is suggesting a different softener "That allows for even higher flow rates" but hasn't said what they are.

The constant service flow rating is only one part of the two parts that are required to correctly size a softener but it is critical. You may want to read more about that on my web site before you buy anything.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 06:18 am
Gary Slusser wrote:
DJL, I am turning the other check

Looks a Freudian slip, but I'm not so sure :wink:
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 07:43 am
H2O_MAN wrote:
Gary Slusser wrote:
DJL, I am turning the other check

Looks a Freudian slip, but I'm not so sure :wink:

That is a salesman[/i]ian slip... a discipline of the pursuit of $elf-improvement focused more on helping oneself than on helping others.
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 07:13 pm
What was that old Dale Carnegie book called?
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 01:11 pm
I don't know from Freudian or other slips (it could be a typo 'returning the other check') Carnegie books Andy?, I gave them up 25 years ago, and I think you should too. But guys, due to your help DJL ordered his new softener and RO yesterday afternoon and they should ship today.

So guys, I just wanted to say thank you for all your help, I really do appreciate it. And I'm sure that at least some future members, or for what all I know, maybe many future members will appreciate your help too.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 01:19 pm
I hope you didn't charge him those rip off prices that you keep posting here on A2K.
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 01:56 pm
SPAMMING IS NOT ALLOWED
Gary

I find it interesting that you are using these forums to generate personal profit by quoting prices, suggesting specific equipment that you personally sell, offering deals on shipping, sending prospects to go directly to your business web site and then requiring prospects to contact you in person via telephone. That wouldn't be spamming, would it?

H20man,
The moderators have been him watching apparently due to the number of posts that have been deleted recently (even in this thread). Next he will blame others when tougher sanctions take place just as he has blamed you (and others) for not being able to post pictures. What goes around, comes around.

djl,
I hope you have what you need and it solves your problems. I hope you haven't unwittingly become a victim of a forum member's breach of rules, sense of decency and mutual respect. If you wish to contact me please feel free.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
[email protected]
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 04:52 am
@Gary Slusser,
Gary Slusser wrote:

Andy never answers the question of how many regenerations per week but you are correct that there will be many of them using the lbs of salt and gallons of water he stated. Please let me know if you get any Kinetico salesman to tell you how many regenerations their softener will be doing per week. Until then you can not compare their softener to other softeners.

Maybe you can share some of knowledge with us.
4 people (x 60 = 240/day)
19 grains per gallon
0.5 ppm iron
normal water use

If this were consistent for a year, how much salt would your Clack use in one year?
Gary Slusser

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2009 12:11 pm
@Andy CWS,
I'd be glad to, right after you do the same and tell us what Kinetico model you use and how frequently it will regenerate.