Alcohol, driving and accidents in the USA

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 12:35 am
**It has occurred to me recently because I've been noticing some things about various US state's laws regarding the matter of driving under the influence of alcohol over the years and how completely out of control the entire situation has become. Don't get me wrong, I hate to see an accident where people are hurt or killed because of ANY reason at all. What I guess I am honestly wondering is how much alcohol and persons driving while drinking contributes to the actual total of all the auto
accidents and deaths related to them. I believe there may be equally as many accidents on the road caused by very tired drivers who fall asleep at the wheel, or simply common accidents that "just happen' without any involvement of alcohol or drugs at all. I myself have had a long struggle with sleep apnea that in spite of using a continuous positive pressure airway device (intended to keep the blood fully oxygenated & stop the cessation of breathing that occurs) which has never fully helped me at all. At this point, my body has gotten so starved for REAL sleep that I have to take a stimulant medication as if I were a narcolepsy patient in order to be sure I'm alert enough to be driving.
**I used to drink many, many years ago & drove as well. I never had
any accidents thank the Lord, but from my experience - the people who don't think twice about driving when intoxicated are probably, like myself, alcoholics and no matter how many tickets, fines, license revocations, an alcoholic seldom ever stops drinking and driving unless some other event intervenes & the alcoholic is changed enough to give up alcohol altogether. They then are are either helped to become sober, safer human beings or eventually wind up with end stage cirrhosis of the liver, etc
To be sure, my quick action and judgment was certainly much less than desirable, but that did not necessarily mean that I was going to be certain to be involved in an auto accident either. Fortunately for me, and all others concerned, that never happened. I stopped drinking 23 years ago; so it has never been the problem/issue for me that it has been for the many, many members of my extended family who are also what I'd call "dangerous drinkers" who, no doubt have unfortunately inherited the "family disease" of alcoholism just like I did.
**It does seem to me NOW, that IF an accident occurs and IF it is found that alcohol or any other kind of drugs were in any way the cause, that THIS would be a felony. On the other hand, someone who drives home after having too much to drink BUT causes no accident nor any property damage whatsoever, IS IT right to charge this person with an equal felony just based on the suspicion that they've been drinking & driving?? Just as if they'd caused an accident? That is my question. If drinking is SO very, extremely dangerous as to make it a constant, ongoing and continuous mainstream issue of our entire criminal judicial system - - then WHY allow it to be legal to buy, sell and use alcohol at all? It is an insane idea to make it a felony whether you've done any harm or not, charging you with a felony equally as if you had caused an accident which claimed the life of another person while driving under the influence.
**From much of what I see happening out in the world around me people who have had their license revoked very often continue on driving anyway
foolish as it may be, and they often will get caught again for driving with no license. While I do remember from history was that the experiment with Prohibition did NOT work well at all - nevertheless it still seems to me that if something is so very, very dangerous in the hands of so very many people, that it then should be completely restricted from public use at all
completely... instead of letting everyone drink to their heart's content and then squawking and skweaking and screaming bloody murder when something bad is the direct result of the use of alcohol resulting from the
easy availability of alcohol. Down here where I live they have one of the most idiotic, bizarre things that I have EVER seen in all my life. They have
"drive thru liquor stores"!! I mean, come on, can you picture this? You can (honestly, this is true) literally pull on up to the drive thru window, as if you were at Wendy's or MacDonalds BUT instead you can ask for a rum & coke or a bottle of vodka, or a 6 pack of beer. Whatever it is that your little heart desires, you can buy it 'DRIVE THRU". It is completely nuts.
A person is driving their car when they can pull up to the drive thru
window to buy alcohol while sitting in their car, knowing that they will
momentarily be drinking it and driving as they leave the place, but it is still here. I've lived here over 20 years and that place stunned me when I saw it the first time, and it still is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. I'm not really so against the prosecution of drunk drivers as
I am against the prosecution of drunk drivers EQUALLY whether or not their condition causes any kind of accident whatsoever. It's crazy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,216 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 03:48 am
It's very hard to read your piece, what with the weird dull red italic font, crazy paragraphing, and what looks like a botched copy-and-paste job with many broken lines. Did you write it yourself?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 04:28 am
The law is quite specific in PA and the rule against DUI is a rule against IMPAIRMENT. Being drunk is easily detected by a chemical vapor "sniffers" and is usually only gotten as a result of
1. Random road blocks and alcohol screening and testing

2. A driver who is noticeably driving erratically.

The rule is one of impairment and anywone who is at a legal level of drunk, is also driving impaired. The number of fatalities in which alcohol is involved is a very high percentage of all fatalities each year. SO the rule is good and its fair. Idiots who break the law by driving while drunk are a danger to themselves and others.

Remember driving isnt a right protected by any Constitutional Provision.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:36 am
3 bottles of patron, seriously HOW THE EFF DID I GET HOME? whos car is that yo?

oh well.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:03 am
Personally I view it as a misapplication of perceived risk. The problem is that any energy has hazards, consequently when energy is encountered it should be accompanied with systems and actions to minimize that hazard. Mow most energy hazards are almost minimized by reaction--you don't touch hot objects more than once or play with fire without protective equipment, electric energy is minimized by automatic systems (circuit breakers) and barriers (insulation), the energy of firearms (explosions and projectiles) are easily recognized and mitigated by emotionalism, training, and respect. But automobiles are so mundane and usual, most people have a casual disregard to the energy contained in a high speed mass of metal.

Mow to relate energy--a 44 magnum fired from a handgun is an respected hazardous energy source. Physics also recognizeds and quantifies that energy (in the form of momentum). Physics can also do the quantification to a 2000 pound moving mass. So here's am easy relation between the two, a automobile moving at about 3 mph has as much knockdown power as a 250 grain 44 magnum bullet fired from a revolver. Consider that as you're walking around the Mall parking lot----each of those moms with a car full of kids and talking on a cell phone is effectively armed with a large bore handgun shooting at random. But you routinely accept that hazard and assume that they aren't shooting your way.

Now as for risks of automobiles--I'm a great believer in performance testing before operation. A mental dexterity test along with a coordination test should be required before and during operation---say something like that required for locomotive drivers, a little blue light that appears at random and requires a response within a reasonable period of time for continued operation, or a blast of air and earshatter.

Now don't get me wrong, the personal vehicle is a great piece of convenience that has made the western lifestyle the envy of the world---but it also is a hazard that requires risk recognition and mitigation in all situations.

Rap
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:05 am
i hate cars they destroyed america, henry ford is satan.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:21 am
The recitivism for DUI is almost infinite. Impaired folks feel that, since thye made it safely last time, theyll be able to do it again. We just had a babe in Lancaster Pa get 25 to life for vehicular homicide. She had been driving at a DUI of 3 X the legal limit and shed lost her license two years ago and had been ROR for several DUI's subsequent to losing her license. SHe killed a family of four and then continued driving . She was aware of what she did because she hid her vehicle in a large garage.
She was in her 20's and had no remorse. She should rot in jail for what she did to that family of AMish.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:45 pm
**I agree totally with the utter disgust regarding that remorseless woman who killed a family. I once met someone exactly like that and it sickened me because she actually had the audacity to say; "If the kid's parents made those kids wear their seat belts, they'd still be alive today." She
had killed the 2 grandparents and 2 children actually. It's very hard to stomach that MUCH denial of personal responsibility for a blatant case of vehicular homicide. But STILL, our entire system of what can be done, what is being done, what is not being done regarding drinking & driving seems to fall apart and fail & no matter WHAT our state & local police, governments, etc. try to do to contain it, to stop it, and to make people stop drinking & driving, to make the roads safer for non drinkers, it never seems to correct the basic bottomline problem. Even if EVERY car in the entire country had a breathalyzer inside of it - who would be there to stop a drunk from getting somebody else to blow into the one in their car??
If ever there was a "catch 22" situation, this certainly seems to be one of the biggest. A former boss of mine had one son, his wife is a very sick woman and they were fortunate to have one child. On one day his son was outside playing in their very large front yard when a drunk driver ran up into their yard and resulted in killing their son.
I could not even begin to comprehend the depth of loss he & his wife must have endured. It was so horrible.
**PS To the person who complained about the way my paragraphs and print turned out - Hey buddy, if you can't read it, don't waste your time trying!!
0 Replies