Bath tub refinishing

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:44 am
The bathtubs at my house are HUGE cast iron monsters. Not the pretty claw foot cast iron mosters but these gigantic box things. The house was obviously built around the tubs as there is no possible way to get them in or out of the rooms. To remove them they would have to be cut into several pieces.

Recently I saw an ad about bathtub resurfacing and I'm thinking this might be a better option.

Has anyone actually tried this or does anyone do this?

Is one system better than the other?

Any advice?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,032 • Replies: 10
No top replies

mismi

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 11:20 am
A friend of mine did it and she loves it. They actually did the tile in the same material and it covered the grout. She said her bathroom has never been so easy to clean as it is now. I do not know which one she used but I will ask. She has a really old house and it was cheaper to refinish the tubs than to buy new and have them all installed. This was about 7 years ago so the price might have changed since then. I will ask though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 11:27 am
Thanks! That would be great!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 02:47 pm
I had it done as well - in the previous condo I owned. It didn't cost very much and it look really nice afterwards. Most offer guarantees so make sure the company you work with gives a guarantee.

I moved shortly afterwards - did the upgrade to sell the place as it was a lonely avocado green along with the entire bathroom so I cannot vouch for the longevity. I left the guarantee with the new owner.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:23 pm
Bathfitters. We had it done, man, I dunno. I think 2002. It still looks great. I've forgotten how much it cost. It requires very little maintenance but you can only use certain things to clean it (e. g. nothing with bleach in it). But baking soda and white vinegar are fine.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:30 pm
Theres a coupla ways to do it.

1.Im not familiar with the epoxy coatings

2. we got really great results from having atub cleaned and receramicked. It was actually glazed low fire ceramic. It takes no exceptionally hard scouring(pumice soaps or cleansers) because the hardness is slightly less than quartz

3.The other way (other than the epoxy or which I said I know nothing) is to have em powder coated. This is also a low fire baked on enamel. Ive seen outdoor furniture powder coated and it looked great
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:41 pm
Is Bathfitters the name of the company, jespah?

Do you remember who you used, Linkat?

Option 2 and 3 sound like it would require removing the tub, farmerman, is that so?

These tubs can't be moved without sawing them apart. They are about 5x2x1.5, tiled into place and, according to a plumber that was here doing some other work, weigh about 400 pounds each. I'm sure they had to have been installed before the walls went up on the house.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 05:59 pm
We moved such a tub, only a six footer, from one side of our bathroom to another in a complicated maneuver to close off two doors (surprise!!) and have only one, right where the existing tub was. Two guys...

but, obviously smarter in your situation to recoat it. I wouldn't replace it, it obviously fits with the house. May have really good piping too.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:03 pm
Yes, they're called Bathfitters.

http://www.bathfitter.com/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:07 pm
didnt read the "cant move em" part. So I guess you are gonna settle for the epoxy coating. Thats what they do in motels when they repaint . The look can be very nice but as jes said, they are scratch prone.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 11:24 am
boomerang wrote:
Is Bathfitters the name of the company, jespah?

Do you remember who you used, Linkat?

Option 2 and 3 sound like it would require removing the tub, farmerman, is that so?

These tubs can't be moved without sawing them apart. They are about 5x2x1.5, tiled into place and, according to a plumber that was here doing some other work, weigh about 400 pounds each. I'm sure they had to have been installed before the walls went up on the house.

It was some local company. They had an advertisement - I called several to get some general information - it was about 10 years ago so I don't recall much other than it stunk to high heaven while they were doing it. But I was moving and wasn't looking long term.
0 Replies