Freezing Corn-on-the-cob

Swimpy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:50 am
I just brought home two dozen ears of the last sweet corn for the season. I want to freeze it but I am getting conflicting advice on how to do that properly. The corn vendor says you have to blanch it and cut the kernels off the ear. I want to freeze it on the cob, though. Cooking.com says all you have to do is shuck it and freeze it, adding no water. Other sites, like the National Center for Food Preservation say you have to blanch it first.

Have you ever tried freezing corn? What method worked best for you. I have to do it today, btw.

Thanks for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,214 • Replies: 12
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:55 am
I just had some frozen corn on the cob that was yucky. All mushy and tasteless. What has worked best for me is to cut the corn off the cob, spread it out on a pan, put some saran wrap over it, and freeze it that way. Once frozen, you can put it in a bag and it stays seperated.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 10:01 am
I've had bad frozen corn on the cob, too. Do you know how it was prepared? The bad stuff, I mean. If I must, I'll cut it off the cob, but my son is coming home next weekend and he really wants corn on the cob.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 10:11 am
Aw. I don't know how this particular bad stuff was prepared. I have just frozen an ear and had the same effect -- mushy, doesn't taste right.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 10:57 am
How did you freeze it? Did you blanch it or not?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:10 am
No blanching.

Maybe try one with blanching, see how that goes? (I bet Cav or JerryR or ehBeth or Osso or someone will know more, though. I'm answering more becuase "Ooh, it's a Swimpy question!" than actually having a clue. Razz)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:56 am
Oh shoot. I was hoping you were going to say you blanched. Cause in my heart I want to believe I can just put the stuff in the freezer without doing any real work Wink Thanks for your input, Soz. It really was helpful. In all my days of eating sweet corn, I've never tried to freeze any. I doubt that it will taste anywhere close to fresh, but whatever Ian wants, Ian gets Smile

I'm going to wait until late afternoon and if nobody else weighs in, I'm going to try it both ways. I bought enough to feed an army anyway.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:41 pm
Well, I came up with a compromise. I blanched them but only for 3 minutes, not the ten that that Nat'l. Ctr for Food Preservation said. Then I plunged them into icewater. let them dry and put them straight on the freezer racks. When they were mostly frozen I put them in ziplock bags. I am pessimistic about how they will be once cooked. The cooking.com site said to put the frozen ears into boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. I guess that's what I'll do.

I saved about 8 ears and will keep them in the fridge as a back up incase these aren't edible. Course after 5 or 6 days they won't be tasting very good either Sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 05:48 pm
Good luck! Let us know what happens.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 06:31 pm
let's cross our fingers that some mysterious source of later late sweet corn will be found.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 08:21 pm
There may yet be a source, Beth. The main, main corn growers in these parts picked their last today. There are still a couple of other smaller growers. I need to check with them and see if they have any left.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:33 pm
how's the corn?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 05:16 pm
Well, it's like this...I saved some of teh corn in the fridge and we ate that on Thursday. Not too bad. I haven't tried the stuff I froze. I think I'll wait until some dreary day in January to test it out.
0 Replies