Do you need a sales record to be considered an artist?

shepaints

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 03:27 pm
I like your "round file" description LW, thanks for the laugh....

The downside of not being attached to a gallery
means that I am unlikely to achieve fame and fortune. The upside is that I don't have to produce a certain quota for a gallery. I may instead paint the same painting ten times if I so choose....till I am satisfied.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 07:12 am
she paints - what is your website address? I'd love to see some of your work
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 07:18 am
OK guys I sold another piece of my art in OKC, OK - does that validate it, I think not. But it sure is good feeling.

Not bragging or anything but just loving the warm feeling that comes when another person says I like that and I want to buy it.

Because of such high gallery fees have any of you ever tried selling your own art. There are many venues in which you can do that. It is a lot of work of course but cutting out the middle man makes all the profit your own, sorry Osso.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 07:44 am
Well done! yes it is a great feeling and it does validate your work in a sense - someone admires it so much that they are prepared to pay out a reasonable amount of money for it and want to live with it, seeing and enjoying it daily - that is quite a validation surely? Very Happy

I show at commercial galleries and shows that various groups i belong to organise.

Commercial galleries are by far the easiest as they hang the work, do the publicity, have a great mailing list of art buyers - ok they take a lot of commission but they have the customers. I am working on getting my work into more of these but i have a group of galleries that i show regularly with.

Locally, i belong to a small group of a dozen friends, they are graduate and postgraduate painters and we meet montly to talk about work in progress and have visiting speakers, We also have 2 or 3 exhibtions a year which we put on - this year we went a bit mad and had about 6 - which was tooooo much!

We put on exhibitions in various venues - the local hospitals have exhibitions in the corridors and we've just had one of these., These aren't generally a good selling venue as you can't have a preview and you are reliant on visitors passing by just happening to like your work. Some banks/furniture stores etc will let you do this.

Another venue is an exhibtion space on 2 very large floor with wonderful big windows above a city pub/restaurant that they let out to artists quite cheaply. It has a wonderful spacious loft apartment feel to it and has masses of space. We show there once a year for a fortnight and it only costs us £70 a week ($35 ish) - so divide that between 12 and add a few bottles of wine and nibbles for the preview and you can see it isn't dear. I sold 3 in the show that just finished, 2 of them were bought by a couple of collectors who buy and sell artwork and do art fairs in London - so that gives me a chance to spread my 'name' a bit further afield. We have to hang the work ourselves and patch the walls afterwards, man the gallery, do our own advertising and publicity, send out invitations to the preview etc This is all a lot of work.

Church Halls and empty shops are other venues for putting on shows - if you offer the church commission on sales they may let you show for free.

If you put on a show with friends it eases the workload and makes it fun.

Then there are art society shows - I belong to 'the' local art society who have a big show at the local museum/gallery soon for a couple of months and a smaller friendly society who have a smaller scale show for just a weekend at the school where we meet, then there is the Print Workshop - a brilliant artists cooperative sort of workshop with print making facilities (etching. lithography etc) who also arrange shows at the local gallery and further afield - they have a very professional attitude and some very talented members and their shows are great.

Do you belong to any societies/groups? they do give you a chance to take part in group exhibitions - sometimes offers from commercial galleries arise from these.

good luck, and again - well done!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 07:51 am
No, just the group here at A2k, the people who have nurtured me, and mentored me, and answered lots of questions for me. I am still way to shy for a juried exhibition. But I might try it I have several painting now I could submit.

Slowly but surely I am working my way into the art circlle here in Dallas but the art scene here is wanting.

Soon I hop to be moving and have located a couple of cities in Texas that are art friendly.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 08:26 am
When you move it would be a good idea to sign on for a class and find a group to join - it will help you break the ice and make new friends and show your work more.

society/group shows aren't usually juried except at high levels so you needn't worry. The smaller society i belong to has members from very amateur and not very talented through to professionals and it is totally non judgemental and everyones work is included in shows. They have a waiting list for membership as people think highly of it because of this.

The monthly meetings have speakers one month and a 'crit' night the next. On crit nights it is totally optional to take a painting in but a visiting expert does a kindly and helpful criticism of all the work taken. It is very useful as the comments on other peoples work brings up points to consider in your own. The crit is never unkind, always has some positive point to find in the worst work but is truthful and points out what could have made it better, what is really interesting or good etc It gives a fresh eye on your work and can shed light on ideas and issues you knew instinctively were there but hadn't consciously inlcluded.

The art scene here is reasonably lively but we are starved of commercial galleries - it isn't a cultured city at that level.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 12:41 pm
You'd unlikely find "commercial" galleries in any European suburb or rural area. That's a phenomena of the U.S. and Japan because their art laws are so lax, facilitating the sales of reproductions which are basically manufactured. So don't worry about not being a cultured city (incidentally, what city?) Americans are starved for mediocrity. And the more they pay for it, the more they believe it has value. They are bilked on a daily basis.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 12:42 pm
Another example is restaurants -- in Orange County to go to a nice sit down restaurant with a reasonably nice atmosphere, one has blown $50.00 without any drinks for a basically mediocre meal.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 03:13 pm
art
Congratulations, Joanne. I've sold a few things, and it was a positive event--aside from the money. I've also given works to friends who expressed appreciation for them. That was equally rewarding. But I've never sold anything to people who did not already know me, so I don't know how to evaluate the event. Was it my art or our relationship that had been validated? One event that would unambiguously validate one's art would be its theft. Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 04:05 pm
You're right -- JL. Artists who have been showing at the outdoor booths during the Laguna Beach Art Festival who haven't had something stolen are likely pissed. Then there's the definition that is used in the sentence, "I was duped by a con artist."
Wonder who that might cover? An artist is anyone who can create imagery that is exciting and/or beautiful to the eye -- maybe not everyone's eye but at least a respectable crowd of those who won't be prejudice like Mom. To sell it and make a living defines a professional artist. Nothing wrong with having an avocation as a painter or sculptor -- that has its own inherant rewards. I always took credence to something one of my art teachers told me -- don't give away your art unless it's someone you are in love with. Even friends should offer an pay something. I have given my artwork to my parents. Of course, they always joke about the fact that I will eventually get it back! I don't know -- my Dad passed away but my Mom is liable to outlive me!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 05:04 pm
Yikes I have given lots of my art away because I didn't think it had value.

It is strange LW I have some very valuable 20th Century Wood Blocks, etchings, and silk screens that I purchased in the 70s. It seems I cannot even sell them below market value since people seem to prefer the fakes made on the streets of Kyoto, go figure.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 05:21 pm
I've discussed the pitfalls of even considering art as an investment but now is certainly not the time to get the best price for anything. It's a buyer's market right now.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 05:38 pm
So true but I have a couple that do well with the Japanese. Now all I have to do is find some, Japanese with money that is.

Actually I think I will unload them trough a dealer in NYC. I hate to pay his cut but need the money.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 10:43 am
Lightwizard wrote:
You'd unlikely find "commercial" galleries in any European suburb or rural area. That's a phenomena of the U.S. and Japan because their art laws are so lax, facilitating the sales of reproductions which are basically manufactured. So don't worry about not being a cultured city (incidentally, what city?) Americans are starved for mediocrity. And the more they pay for it, the more they believe it has value. They are bilked on a daily basis.

when I say commercial galleries I don't mean it in quite the sense you understood (I wasn't clear so i can see why you read it that way)

When i say commercial gallery i mean a gallery that sells original work not reproductions (we've got a couple of the ones that sell repros ok) - we have a gallery at the museum, which shows major collections and has a few small contemporary shows and an annual show by the local Art Society high standard - hard to get into the society) and the City Gallery, which shows travelling major exhibitions and has a small gallery to show local artists work for sale. That's it. Similar sized cities have several 'proper' selling galleries but we don't have any. It means that to show in galleries we have to travel further afield.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 05:07 pm
LW....one of my friends gave away art work to
someone she was in love with....Their relationship
lasted about a month! I insisted that she recover
the work.....She managed to get it back and the art work never looked better!

Perhaps the moral of my story is to make sure that it's true love
before giving away your art!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 05:36 pm
Viven -- sounds like you'd have to be shipping a lot of work out of your area. What I meant was we have a proliferation of commercial galleries because there is more out there to retail. I was hard-pressed to find many good artists when I went to all local original art in Newport Beach which is a large city but not like San Francisco, Chicago or New York! I was still having to sell at least some of the better reproduced art.

shepaints -- that is a chance one takes! Very Happy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:22 pm
art
Good advice, SP. And if it's the right kind of "true love" they can marry and then co-own the work as community property.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 05:17 pm
Then figure out who gets it in the divorce proceedings. (Just ribbing).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 05:18 pm
In other words, just don't give away your art (unless they're willing to trade something -- if they are an attorney, maybe some legal help equivalent to the value of the painting?) Yuch, yuch, that'll never happen! Laughing
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 10:48 pm
0 Replies