some inspirations

EileenM

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 02:26 am
Okay, here we go...
The point of this topic is to give us all some inspiration through a couple of words or a phrase.
This way we have something to work on if we have a block...
Ok? So I'll start:

"A purpose for living"

thats it... now add something too. anything that comes to mind and let the art work flow!! :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,079 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 11:43 pm
"Nature's nooks and crannies."
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 08:07 am
Have a "block"? Start. Prepare the surface, lay out the paint and media. Put a mark on the surface somewhere, and go from there.

Type a word onto the page, any word will do. Follow it with your heart, editing to follow.

Most creative work by serious artists isn't the result of inspiration. Master your skills to the point where they are second nature to you, and then it's just one step at a time. The results can sometimes be surprising.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 01:51 pm
art
Yes, and even starting a "bad" painting is infinitely better (like the difference between zero and one) than not starting because of the paralysis of perfectionism.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 02:53 am
think of a mood - excitement, sorrow, happiness, calm, pensive ....

now hold that mood in your mind and either paint an abstract using colours and marks that express it or make your figure drawing, still life, landscape or whatever express it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 04:47 pm
Asherman wrote what I would have... which is just put down a mark, and then respond to it.

We all create our art in different ways. Many are comfortable with virtually preplanning a piece of writing, music, drawing, and some "paint out of their head" on to a substrate such as canvas, or responding to some visual imagery such as a photo, work/play towards a new image about that. Some may draw a line (type a word, play a note) and see where their hand takes it.

I work in something of a mix of these modes. I have a trigger image in mind or in front of me, often a piece of a photo, and my first paint strokes on the canvas will have something to do with that. Chances are the painting that develops will not have anything to do with that first trigger image for anyone else but me. Then again, it might.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:07 am
Slap stuff on paper. Any stuff. Sooner or later some of the stuff will start to remind you of other stuff. Slap that stuff on paper...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:30 am
Walk between the raindrops
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 04:43 pm
inspiration
I find sometimes if I do not have a lot of time, then I dont want to start at all. So, to shake that attitude off, or if just stymied and disatisfied with the current status of my work, I go see some unknown person showing in a coffee shop or go to Barnes and Nobleand read the art mags or pick up an art book I have. In not very long, the mood is back.
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 10:09 pm
"Art is a constructive act...The artist is the person who puts the world together after everyone else has let it go to pieces.."
"..civilization lives by speech/// expressive arts (finite and variable forms) and dies by silence."
Modern art has yet to answer 'What can we know for certain?" (first asked by Cezanne over 100 years ago.
Cook well. Eat well. See much art from the past and present. Then get into your studio and try and break a few conventions. That ought to keep you busy for a while.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:19 am
truth
Colorific, it's GREAT to see you back!
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:44 pm
Hi JL; it is great to have a peek and see that you are here and that there are still some vibrant artistic discussions going on. (I recognized that black cat w/green eyes right away!)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:10 pm
Expose your soul and what do you get more soul. They say when you see or hear an object of art that turns on the neurons in the brain then you are communicating with the soul of the artist.
0 Replies

Rayvatrap

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 11:50 am
Anger and frustration!
That's when I really go into a painting frenzy that most of the time gives me good pieces.

At the moment I'm going thrugh a big BLOCK, I have to exhibitions coming up and still with nothing at all. I started a few but keep chucking them aside, don't like the results. I have try everything that comes to mind but I don't know what else to do! Sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

kayla

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 06:59 am
Hey Color,
Glad you're back. I don't know if it's a block or just plain laziness with me. I need more than inspiration. I need a swift kick!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:49 pm
Kayla, take this! (gentle kick).
0 Replies