whats the average words per minute people read at?

Chai

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:45 pm
did I mention 100% comprehension?
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:46 pm
LOL! damn u show off!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:47 pm
Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 29 Jul, 2008 07:51 pm
not hate, jealousy Razz
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:16 am
not to be picky but, the test measured recall as much as comprehension. normally, when you're tested for comprehension, eg. in the SAT or GRE, you're allowed to go back & reread the passage. of course, nothing prevented you from using the back button to reread the passage, i think. :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 05:31 am
yitwail wrote:
not to be picky but, the test measured recall as much as comprehension. normally, when you're tested for comprehension, eg. in the SAT or GRE, you're allowed to go back & reread the passage. of course, nothing prevented you from using the back button to reread the passage, i think. :wink:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I just went back to the site, clicked start, waited a few seconds without reading a word, clicked stop, and retook the test.

Still got 100%

To be honest, I thought the test was stupid, as it was a bunch of promotion, and I actually couldn't tell you in a narrative anything about the subject matter except that you should use their software.

But it certainly wasn't hard to pick out the correct answers. I think most people would have gotten most of the questions correct without even reading the passage.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 07:23 am
Ah! I got it now! Idea
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 01:17 pm
Chai wrote:

But it certainly wasn't hard to pick out the correct answers. I think most people would have gotten most of the questions correct without even reading the passage.

then just about everyone who's posted their score here, except you, must be exceptions that prove the rule, since you've posted the only 100% comprehension score (but then again, my recall may be faulty (or maybe, as Francis implied, i would have had a better result if i hadn't read the passage first)). Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 01:35 pm
I said most of the questions right.

no one posted under 50%, except you, which I'm sure was a joke.

or maybe, because you didn't notice I said most of the questions when you actually went back and quoted me, which means you must have read what I wrote at least twice, your comprehension really does suck.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 01:39 pm
0% because I never took the test Laughing
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 01:40 pm
actually, i had 91%. it was neologist who got 9%. (i used the Back button to double check. :wink: )
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 01:43 pm
hmmm....

maybe this is why I can say in a post something like "I'm not talking about every, or even a large number of mothers in the world, or even anyone on this site, but there are women who give birth that are addicted to crack.", and I get all these people accusing me of saying they all have crack babies.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 01:48 pm
well, i did say i was being picky...and btw, since it hasn't been established that everyone who took the test was given the same passage or questions, it might be premature to draw general conclusions about the results. :wink: (incidentally, i don't think i've accused you of saying anything, but on account of that faulty recall i can't be certain Confused ) (oh, and just so i don't get suspected of anything, when i wrote something like "when you're given a test...nothing keeps you from using the back buttion," i was referring not to you, Chai, but what i meant was, "when one is given a test...nothing keeps one from using" etc., but i used the pronoun you instead of one in order to sound less pedantic :wink: )
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 02:14 pm
so you're saying i'm a liar?

are you threatening me?

the great cornholio will not be threatened.

oh, sorry, I was channeling beavis and butthead.

http://kcinvestmentproperty.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/cornholio.jpg
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 02:42 pm
i'm saying whatever i was saying when i wrote it, but it certainly wasn't an accusation of lying. you also haven't burst any of my bubbles that i'm aware of, but i could be mistaken. Confused
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 03:05 pm
Cornolio is appeased.

The lion sleeps tonight.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 03:31 pm
412 wpm

87% comprehension
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 09:09 pm
287 wpm (I'm very tired, probably do better in the morning)
100% comprehension

Then, as suggested, I took the test again and of course I scored better. What's that prove? Besides the fact that if you read exactly the same text within 5 minutes you will skim.

Oh well, a harmless bit of fluff.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 10:15 pm
Do I have to take this thing?

Mumbles.

No.

But, on the other hand..

I'll consider it.

Wanders off.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2008 09:22 pm
yitwail wrote:
actually, i had 91%. it was neologist who got 9%. (i used the Back button to double check. :wink: )

Actually, I read at 377 with 82% the first time and 417 with 82% the second time. Curiously, I got different answers wrong the second time around.

DOH

I wonder if the reading assignment did not over ride my preconceived notions about reading comprehension. I answered my gut feeling. So probably my comprehension of what the article actually said was even less.

No wonder I argue irrelevant points. . .

Oh, and I lied about the 1000 words with 9%.
I'm from New Jersey.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.
0 Replies