Diane

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 01:28 pm
Ok this is my problem
I have comcast cable ISP thru a linksys modem and a netgear router.
1. a few weeks ago I started getting messages "LAN cable unplugged" followed immediatedly by "LAN cable plugged in"
yesterday while Lady Diane was downloading/installing Fyrefox I lost my internet connection "LAN cable unplugged" and a few moments later Lady Diane got the same message,
2. when I cable lady Diane's puter directly to the modem everything internet works fine but when I cable thru the router I get noting.
3. I replaced the router
4. no change
5. I replaced the modem/router cable
6. no change
7, I uninstalled fyrefox
8. no change
bty this is Dys not Lady Diane.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,321 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 01:32 pm
I thought I saw a trace of beard under the habit...

You need someone smarter than me.

Shocked
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 01:48 pm
Ah, that explains it. I was wondering why it was so quiet around here lately.

Ditto what RH said.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 06:14 pm
Hmm, just reread your description after typing my suggestion below. I need some clarification on your network layout.

You have your cable modem which is connected to a router which is connected to two PCs, right?

If you bypass the router and separately connect BOTH PCs directly to the modem, they both work, right? (If this is the case then it is not the NIC card or cable that connects your PCs to the router. If one of them works but one does not, then yes, you have to troubleshoot the NIC card and cable between that PC and the router.)

If you connect them to the router, they both do not work, right?

Sounds like the ethernet card aka NIC aka Network Interface Card in the PC may have died. It could also be the cable from the router to the NIC card. You'll have to do a process of elimination.

First, change the cable. Use the cable from Diane's connection to see if it works. If it still doesn't work, go to step 2.

If you are up to it, take the NIC card from Diane's puter and put it in yours.

Those two tests will tell you if it is the cable or the NIC card. Both can be replaced for under $20.

If you need some help getting the box open to deal with the NIC card, let me know and we can arrange for me to talk you through it over the phone.

Some of the folks with more expertise than I may have some other suggestions too. This is the kind of troubleshooting stuff I used to do as a network admin but that was 10 years ago so things have probably changed a great deal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 06:26 pm
I'll just add a VEY.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 06:43 pm
Dys,

I made a quick diagram of what I think you described as your network layout. I labeled each cable and PC so we can use those labels in our descriptions to eliminate any confusion.

http://butrfly.net/Albums/MiscellaneousGoodies/images/dysnetwork.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 11:56 am
Butrflynet wrote:
Dys,

I made a quick diagram of what I think you described as your network layout. I labeled each cable and PC so we can use those labels in our descriptions to eliminate any confusion.

http://butrfly.net/Albums/MiscellaneousGoodies/images/dysnetwork.jpg
yes, very accurate, now the problem continues to be that when puter a is cabbled directly to modem it works fine but when modem is cabled to router the ethernet activity light goes out and there is zero connectivity. I have replaced the router and the cables.The power light does come on on the router but zero connectivity is shown.
Possibly the modem has gone south but why would it continue to function when directly cabbled to puter a?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 12:02 pm
Replacing router and cables should've done the trick...

Are you using exactly the same cables when you connect to the modem vs. connecting to the router?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 01:35 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Replacing router and cables should've done the trick...

Are you using exactly the same cables when you connect to the modem vs. connecting to the router?
yes
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2008 01:41 pm
Some add'l troubleshooting steps:

1. Place the computer in close physical proximity to the router, and use a short (6' or so) network cable. Does the problem continue?
2. Does the problem continue if you physically hold the cable in at the router?
3. Does the problem continue if you physically hold the cable in at the computer?
4. Is the hood of the cable blocking the spring-clip on one or both ends?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 06:35 am
bump
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:13 pm
Well, both computers of Dys and Diane are kaput, and they are dealing with comcast...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:12 pm
That's a good idea. Let the young tech guy crawl around switching cables and doing all that troubleshooting. That's what they pay their subscription for.

Sounds like there is either a flaky cable somewhere or one of the ports in the router is flaky. I'd like to see the cables moved to different ports and see if the problem continues. Something tells me it is the cables though, since the router has already been replaced once.

With so many critters in that house, it's possible one of the cables has been gnawed through or tugged slightly out of alignment in the ports.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:14 pm
I heard from a wolfette that your phone has been mysterious...

Is your 'puter run thru the telegraph line??

RH
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:24 pm
Interesting, it might be their phone?

Glad you heard from Wolf.

I talked with Diane earlier this evening, which is how I know both computers are out, so it isn't obvious phone.. but whad'a I know.
She said Dys spent much of the day on it. He's at least moderately computer smart. I'm not sure he ever saw Drew Dad's last post.

Comcast, according to Diane, has him going to try (such and such) and then they'll talk.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 11:54 pm
its probablly something retardly stupid, or an inside glithc (like fried connection, short)

dont miss the obvious especially when networking.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 11:21 am
OGIONIK wrote:
its probablly something retardly stupid, or an inside glithc (like fried connection, short)

I just got Diane back on line, she had installed a new firewall on top on several other firewalls that was blocking our interenet connection, HOWEVER I still have no LAN link so my puter is still down.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 11:27 am
Rockhead wrote:
I thought I saw a trace of beard under the habit...

You need someone smarter than me.

Shocked

a trace of beard under the habit sounds borderline inappropriate...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 11:29 am
Dys
dyslexia wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:

I just got Diane back on line, she had installed a new firewall on top on several other firewalls that was blocking our interenet connection, HOWEVER I still have no LAN link so my puter is still down.

Dys, you should know by now that you can't let Diane monkey around her computer without your supervision. I'm sure she does it just to piss you off and keep you awake all night.

BBB :wink: :wink: :wink:

BTW, I ordered a book to be sent to you: The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder By Vincent Bugliosi. Kucinich will be happy.

BBB
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 11:45 am
dyslexia wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:

Dys, what happens if you connect YOUR pc directly to the modem? Does it work or is there still a failure?

If it works, have you replaced the cable that runs from your PC to the router? Have you relocated the cable to a different USB port on the router? How about on your PC? Maybe one of your USB ports on the PC has bit the dust.
0 Replies