<snick, snick, snick, snick, snick> : Reel mowers

Tai Chi

Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:05 pm
boomerang wrote:
Not being easy is a real positive, actually.

Mo gets a sense of accomplishment and you get a tired 7 year old who sleeps like a log. Win/win Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:07 pm
fishin wrote:
IMO, you are better off mowing more often which would leave you with shorter clippings which will drop down between the blades of grass in the lawn (which is actually good for your lawn!)

I completely agree with this. We never bagged or raked up clippings. My grandmother liked the grass about 3" or so high, and to keep it looking "groomed" we mowed every weekend (weather permitting). The clippings help to mulch the grass and make the root system more secure. Keeping the grass relatively long (3" is, in my experience, longer than most people have their grass--but they will mow to 2" and then not mow for two or three or four weeks) gives it a lush look. Of course, it helped that my grandmother had lots of child labor.

I was gratified to hear your description of Mo's work ethic. I've had too much experience of kids who were dazzled by the thought of the money, but soon discovered how little they liked actual work.
0 Replies

jespah

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 04:15 am
We get ours at Home Depot, BTW. I think they'll do sharpening but, like RP said, we don't bother and just get a new one every 5 years or so.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 06:10 am
I'm surprised Gus hasn't neighed in on this thread.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:31 am
Region Philbis wrote:

this is my 14th summer (out of 14) using a 'push' mower like this:

....................... http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImage/e6c5b47f-1e7e-493d-87c7-6554752bd0c9_300.jpg
........... Scotts 20 In. Green Classic Reel Mower Model 2000-20

i don't bother getting the blades sharpened -- i just buy a new one every 5 years or so.

it is quite the workout on a sunny day...

Now that I'm in research mode, that one keeps coming up as a good 'un.

A question -- the reviews indicate it's not good on weeds. I do rely on mowing keeping some minor weeds in check in the back yard, especially. Can you tell me more about that? Do you have problems with the reel mower cutting weeds, and if so, all of them or just some?

Thanks...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:41 am
I used one for a couple of years. Great exercise, but you have to be pretty dedicated as it can't handle tall grass. (That's when you shove/pull, shove/pull. Otherwise, you go over it once north-south, and once east-west.)

Mine will sharpen the blades itself, if you set it up right and run it backwards. But I lost the manual, so I can't give exact instructions.

Keep it oiled. (Spray with WD-40 each time you use it.)

I like how QUIET they are. You can actually listen to music while you mow.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 07:42 am
And they're a lot better for your grass. They actually cut grass instead of ripping the grass blades in half.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 10:17 am
soz wrote:

A question -- the reviews indicate it's not good on weeds. I do rely on mowing keeping some minor weeds in check in the back yard, especially. Can you tell me more about that? Do you have problems with the reel mower cutting weeds, and if so, all of them or just some?

Thanks...

yeah, weeds can be a problem.
after a once-over i'll yank up the uncuttables...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:09 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I'm surprised Gus hasn't neighed in on this thread.

But, you did Confused
0 Replies

fishin

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:11 pm
sozobe wrote:
Region Philbis wrote:

this is my 14th summer (out of 14) using a 'push' mower like this:

....................... http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImage/e6c5b47f-1e7e-493d-87c7-6554752bd0c9_300.jpg
........... Scotts 20 In. Green Classic Reel Mower Model 2000-20

i don't bother getting the blades sharpened -- i just buy a new one every 5 years or so.

it is quite the workout on a sunny day...

Thanks...

I think the weed thing is fairly common with these things. There is an ever-so-minute gap between the blade and the cutting shear. Plants (weeds!) that have a lot of fibers may only get partially cut and some of the stringy fibers are able to pass through that gap so the weeds don't always get cut off cleanly and they can bind things up (or they'll just let the blades pass over them and they'll pop back up on the other side.)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 01:19 pm
i've had overgrown grass cuttings wrap themselves around the insides of the wheels in a big knot -- not an easy clean-up because you have to put your hands right in there next to the blades...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 01:24 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
i've had overgrown grass cuttings wrap themselves around the insides of the wheels in a big knot -- not an easy clean-up because you have to put your hands right in there next to the blades...

Yup.

I weed-whack first, if I can foresee that happening.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 01:40 pm
Hmm...

So looks like the idea is:

Go ahead and level everything with an existing power mower, or borrow one.

Then do weekly upkeep with the reel motor.

I'm a bit worried about the backyard -- the grass/ weed ratio continues to improve (started out 50% dirt, 40% weeds, and 10% grass -- now it's about 90% grass and 10% weeds) and probably will continue to improve as we chop weeds before they get anywhere and grass continues to take over. But maybe the backyard isn't reel-motor-ready yet...?

What about, like, clover? Other small leafy weeds? (Not dandelions, which I usually dig up anyway.)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 01:43 pm
Clover ain't a weed.

The weed-killer manufacturers added it to their list, because they couldn't kill weeds and leave the clover.

So clover got re-classified.

In my experience, the mower worked on anything that wasn't absolutely matted.
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 01:48 pm
Right, I just wrote about that on the "Turf Wars" thread... I'll say "non-grass plants" rather than "weeds."

"Matted," OK, that sounds promising.
0 Replies

jespah

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 05:53 pm
Clover is good for the lawn anyway -- I've noticed that the reel mower will clip it a little but mainly leave it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 22 Jul, 2008 08:23 pm
I assume even lawn clover, whatever it's proper name, is a legume like other clovers - they add nitrogen to the soil. Back in north north, red clover was used a lot for this purpose.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 3 May, 2010 03:55 pm
Mo finally got his reel mower yesterday! We made him pay for 1/3 of it -- $35.00, which he earned by helping us shovel dirt off a truck and roll it into the back yard. Then he helped lay sod for a small lawn.

He's so happy! He mowed and mowed yesterday and mowed again before school today.

We have this huge parkway, "linden alley", that runs down the center of the street...

http://media.oregonlive.com/portland_impact/photo/eastmorelandtreesjpeg-8b9268279e7eb923.jpeg

.... that the city owns but they they "can no longer afford to take care of" <ahem>. This year everyone on the street is pitching in to take care of it so Mo can mow to his heart's content.

Yesterday a couple of neighbors came out and slipped him a few bucks!

After that he mowed a bit of the schoolyard. Every single kid up their playing had to have a turn with the mower. It was really funny.
farmerman

Mon 3 May, 2010 04:00 pm
@boomerang,
I have an idea for a story. Its about a kid who has to cut some lawn and, hes so good at talking, he gets the other kids to pay HIM so he would let the other kids cut the lawn with his mower.

littlek

Mon 3 May, 2010 04:05 pm
@boomerang,
Nice work Mo!
0 Replies