Dog 'saves woman' savaged by kangaroo

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 03:41 pm
Linkat wrote:
I also read elsewhere that Kangeroos are considered dangerous - more so because of the numbers they have and the accidents they cause on the roads rather than their attacks.

Well, you certainly know it if you hit some poor roo.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 03:45 pm
Linkat wrote:
I looked up Australia's most dangerous animals - kangeroos don't come up - but lots of spiders and snakes.

1. The Box Jellyfish

2. Irukandji (A Jellyfish)

3. Salt Water Crocodile

4. Blue Ring Octopus

5. Stone Fish

6. Red Back Spider

7. Brown Snake

8. Tiger Snake

9. Great White Shark

10. Funnel Web Spider

Of course kangaroos didn't come up. Totally harmless - compared to everything else down there, anyway.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 04:47 pm
farmerman wrote:
are roos good eating? do they barbecue up decently? . I see no problem that a .338 cant solve

Australia is a gun-free continent. A modern compound bow would solve the problem inside of a hundred meters or thereabouts.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 05:02 pm
WHAAAAAATT?
Quote:

[edit] Current Australian firearm laws
The possession and use of firearms in Australia is governed by state laws which were partly aligned by the 1996 National Firearms Agreement (see below). Anyone wishing to buy, own, or use a firearm must have a Firearms Licence and be over the age of 18, although there are exceptions. In Queensland, unlicensed individuals may use firearms legally if the proper forms are filled out beforehand. Minors, with parental consent, can use, but not legally own, firearms under a minors' licence. Applicants for a firearms licence who wish to own a firearm must have a secure safe storage unit bolted to the wall or floor or if it is used only for the storage of category A, B and/or C firearms, it must weigh more than 150kg.

For every firearm, a purchaser must obtain a Permit To Acquire. The first permit for each person has a mandatory 28 day delay before it is issued. In some states, such as Queensland, this is waived for second and subsequent firearms of the same class, whilst in others, such as New South Wales, it is not. For each firearm a "Genuine Reason" must be given, relating to pest control, hunting, target shooting, or collecting. Self-defence is not accepted as a reason for issuing a licence.

Each firearm in Australia must be registered to the owner by serial number. Some states (eg QLD and NSW) allow an owner to store or borrow another owner's firearm of the same category; others (eg WA) do not.

[edit] Firearms categories
Firearms in Australia are grouped into Categories with different levels of control. The categories are:

Category A: rimfire rifles (not semi-automatic), shotguns (not pump-action or semi-automatic), air rifles, paintball guns, and airsoft/soft air rifles (depending on State).
Category B: centrefire rifles (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901.
Category C: semi-automatic rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. (Restricted: only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and professional sporting shooters can own working Category C firearms)
Category D: semi-automatic centrefire rifles, pump-action/semi-automatic shotguns holding more than 5 rounds (Category D Firearms are restricted to occupational shooters [1].)
Category H: handguns including air pistols, deactivated handguns and firearms not exceeding 65 cm in total length. Target shooters can acquire handguns of .38" calibre or less.
(Participants in "approved" competitions may acquire handguns up to .45", currently Single Action Shooting and Metallic Silhouette. IPSC shooting is not "approved" for the larger calibres, for unstated reasons. Category H barrels must be at least 100mm (3.94") long for revolvers, and 120mm (4.72") for semi-automatic pistols, and magazines are restricted to 10 rounds. Handgun collectors are exempt from the laws stated above.)

Category R: restricted weapons: machine guns, rocket launchers, assault rifles, flame-throwers, anti-tank guns, Howitzers, artillery, .50-calibre BMG weapons, etc. (Collectors in some states only, weapons must be comprehensively deactivated. Deactivated firearms are still subject to the same storage and licensing requirements as 'live' firearms in many states.)
Antique firearms can in some states be legally bought, owned (and, in some states, used) without licences. In other states they are subject to the same requirements as modern firearms.

All single-shot muzzleloading firearms manufactured before 1 January 1901 are considered antique firearms. Four states require licences for antique percussion revolvers and cartridge repeating firearms but in Queensland and Victoria a person may possess such a firearm without a license, so long as the firearm is registered.

Australia is unusual in restricting air pistols and airsoft pistols extremely heavily. All airsoft firearms must have a unique Serial number that is registered with the state and federal government. Airsoft firearms are legal in some states on a Category A licence, but only Bolt action Rifle airsoft firearms are legal for sale as well as ownership.

SEEMS to be a fairly reasonable and fair set of laws. Where do you get the information that guns are outlawed in AUstralia?

Course, I just clipped this from Google and wikipedia, so, maybe theyre entirely off base.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 05:03 pm
We all know Gunga Dim knows it all . . . how can you doubt him ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 10:27 pm
farmerman wrote:
WHAAAAAATT?
Quote:

[edit] Current Australian firearm laws
The possession and use of firearms in Australia is governed by state laws which were partly aligned by the 1996 National Firearms Agreement (see below). Anyone wishing to buy, own, or use a firearm must have a Firearms Licence and be over the age of 18, although there are exceptions. In Queensland, unlicensed individuals may use firearms legally if the proper forms are filled out beforehand. Minors, with parental consent, can use, but not legally own, firearms under a minors' licence. Applicants for a firearms licence who wish to own a firearm must have a secure safe storage unit bolted to the wall or floor or if it is used only for the storage of category A, B and/or C firearms, it must weigh more than 150kg.

For every firearm, a purchaser must obtain a Permit To Acquire. The first permit for each person has a mandatory 28 day delay before it is issued. In some states, such as Queensland, this is waived for second and subsequent firearms of the same class, whilst in others, such as New South Wales, it is not. For each firearm a "Genuine Reason" must be given, relating to pest control, hunting, target shooting, or collecting. Self-defence is not accepted as a reason for issuing a licence.

Each firearm in Australia must be registered to the owner by serial number. Some states (eg QLD and NSW) allow an owner to store or borrow another owner's firearm of the same category; others (eg WA) do not.

[edit] Firearms categories
Firearms in Australia are grouped into Categories with different levels of control. The categories are:

Category A: rimfire rifles (not semi-automatic), shotguns (not pump-action or semi-automatic), air rifles, paintball guns, and airsoft/soft air rifles (depending on State).
Category B: centrefire rifles (not semi-automatic), muzzleloading firearms made after 1 January 1901.
Category C: semi-automatic rimfire rifles holding 10 or fewer rounds and pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns holding 5 or fewer rounds. (Restricted: only primary producers, occupational shooters, collectors and professional sporting shooters can own working Category C firearms)
Category D: semi-automatic centrefire rifles, pump-action/semi-automatic shotguns holding more than 5 rounds (Category D Firearms are restricted to occupational shooters [1].)
Category H: handguns including air pistols, deactivated handguns and firearms not exceeding 65 cm in total length. Target shooters can acquire handguns of .38" calibre or less.
(Participants in "approved" competitions may acquire handguns up to .45", currently Single Action Shooting and Metallic Silhouette. IPSC shooting is not "approved" for the larger calibres, for unstated reasons. Category H barrels must be at least 100mm (3.94") long for revolvers, and 120mm (4.72") for semi-automatic pistols, and magazines are restricted to 10 rounds. Handgun collectors are exempt from the laws stated above.)

Category R: restricted weapons: machine guns, rocket launchers, assault rifles, flame-throwers, anti-tank guns, Howitzers, artillery, .50-calibre BMG weapons, etc. (Collectors in some states only, weapons must be comprehensively deactivated. Deactivated firearms are still subject to the same storage and licensing requirements as 'live' firearms in many states.)
Antique firearms can in some states be legally bought, owned (and, in some states, used) without licences. In other states they are subject to the same requirements as modern firearms.

All single-shot muzzleloading firearms manufactured before 1 January 1901 are considered antique firearms. Four states require licences for antique percussion revolvers and cartridge repeating firearms but in Queensland and Victoria a person may possess such a firearm without a license, so long as the firearm is registered.

Australia is unusual in restricting air pistols and airsoft pistols extremely heavily. All airsoft firearms must have a unique Serial number that is registered with the state and federal government. Airsoft firearms are legal in some states on a Category A licence, but only Bolt action Rifle airsoft firearms are legal for sale as well as ownership.

SEEMS to be a fairly reasonable and fair set of laws. Where do you get the information that guns are outlawed in AUstralia?

Course, I just clipped this from Google and wikipedia, so, maybe theyre entirely off base.

Oh for Pete's sake.....you didn't take GUNGA seriously enough to actually bother to look something up?

Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I have a fabulous bridge in Sydney for you....
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 11:44 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I have only seen 'roos in the Zoo.

Can not IMAGINE being boxed by one..

They are as big as most people..

What boxed? They sit on their tails and strike with their big nail-tipped hind feet.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 01:37 am
McTag wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:
I have only seen 'roos in the Zoo.

Can not IMAGINE being boxed by one..

They are as big as most people..

What boxed? They sit on their tails and strike with their big nail-tipped hind feet.

No boxing...ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_FVD0BR2Mc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ryH2VJdENA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Ujf_VQXYo&feature=related

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/animals/Boxing_Kangaroo/#8735
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 03:16 am
I bow to Ozzies' better knowledge of the finer points of kanga-pugilism.

But watch out for these low blows with the pointed feet.

(Is that why the rugby boys are called The Wallabies?)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 03:32 am
Linkat wrote:
I looked up Australia's most dangerous animals - kangeroos don't come up - but lots of spiders and snakes.

1. The Box Jellyfish

2. Irukandji (A Jellyfish)

3. Salt Water Crocodile

4. Blue Ring Octopus

5. Stone Fish

6. Red Back Spider

7. Brown Snake

8. Tiger Snake

9. Great White Shark

10. Funnel Web Spider

You forgot
phasgogale furphyitis

Quote:
In Australia, all kangaroos are protected native fauna under Commonwealth, state and territory legislation. However, certain species may be harvested to reduce the damage that they cause. Because some kangaroo products are exported, the Commonwealth requires that those state and territories that harvest and export kangaroo products, develop and have approved management programs for these commercially harvested species.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 04:31 am
when rabbit looks up something about kangaroo fights, she is viewed as someone providing vital information. When I look up the firearms code of a nation, Im balmy.

You been hanging upside down too long there rabbit.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:13 am
farmerman wrote:
when rabbit looks up something about kangaroo fights, she is viewed as someone providing vital information. When I look up the firearms code of a nation, Im balmy.

You been hanging upside down too long there rabbit.

'Tweren't the LOOKING, it was looking because of GUNGA wot made you barmy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:21 am
do we arbitrarily decide who and who not shall be provided the courtesy of an answer? HMMMMMM?

The balmy and the Gungasnales, do we always not have them among us? Are we not our brothers keepers and custodians of vital infomational support services?

Stop being such an elitist rabbit or else Ill satrt posting recipes on my sig line.

Just because you are in possession of all your faculties is no reason to denigrate those not similarly blessed, or deny them pertinent information when they are misinformed.

I rest my case.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:45 am
dadpad wrote:
In Australia, all kangaroos are protected native fauna under Commonwealth, state and territory legislation. However, certain species may be harvested to reduce the damage that they cause. Because some kangaroo products are exported, the Commonwealth requires that those state and territories that harvest and export kangaroo products, develop and have approved management programs for these commercially harvested species.

Terrible idea. If they aren't endangered or threatened, they need to be managed.

So, for those that fall under the "damaging" category, are they hunted by willing hunters for free, or killed by goobermint paid sharpshooters? Note it says "commercially harvested". You may not know this, but commercial "hunting" is banned in the US. For over 100 years.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:46 am
"Harvested"? Kangaroos (fauna) harvested?

What a clunky euphemism for "shot".

A man driving a digger was harvested in Tel Aviv yesterday.
Was that a harvest I heard, or have you been eating too much cabbage again?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:55 am
McTag wrote:
"Harvested"? Kangaroos (fauna) harvested?

What a clunky euphemism for "shot".

A man driving a digger was harvested in Tel Aviv yesterday.
Was that a harvest I heard, or have you been eating too much cabbage again?

One who compares a renewable food resource to a human life clearly has their sensibilities all screwed up.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 05:57 am
STOP OR ILL HARVEST!!.

Sounds ok to me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 06:57 am
farmerman wrote:
do we arbitrarily decide who and who not shall be provided the courtesy of an answer? HMMMMMM?

The balmy and the Gungasnales, do we always not have them among us? Are we not our brothers keepers and custodians of vital infomational support services?

Stop being such an elitist rabbit or else Ill satrt posting recipes on my sig line.

Just because you are in possession of all your faculties is no reason to denigrate those not similarly blessed, or deny them pertinent information when they are misinformed.

I rest my case.

You rest my case anywhere near me and muss my fur you're a dead farmer.

Gungasnale? Kewl name!!!

He ain't my brother, by the way, and he's damned heavy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 08:02 am
Quote:
Gungasnale? Kewl name!!!

Actually it was just one of my frequent typos that , when viewed dispassionately, does make some sense, ne?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2008 11:30 am
Actually.... the woman is probably pissed at the dog for ending what up to that point, had been the best 15 seconds of her life....
0 Replies