Dog 'saves woman' savaged by kangaroo

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 11:44 pm
roger wrote:
Not to mention, you don't want to look crose eyed at the bunnies.

That goes without saying.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 01:40 am
'S why I said "Not to mention".
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 10:25 am
farmerman wrote:
are roos good eating? do they barbecue up decently? . I see no problem that a .338 cant solve

I've eaten Kangeroo once. The waiter snuck it on me - while he winked at my husband. Wasn't too bad.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 10:27 am
dlowan wrote:
roger wrote:
Jeez, it's worth a person's live to take a stroll across the lawn on that continent. Anything that doesn't drag you into the river, attack in packs, or spit poison is only waiting for a chance to stomp you to death.

Good Dog!

Nonsense!!!

Only bees and magpies trouble yopu on lawns....and those goddam imported stinkers the European Wasp!!

No:

Grizzly Bears
Brown Bears
Black bears
Polar bears
cougars
wolves
rattle snakes
black widows
poison ivy
brown recluse spiders
rabies

Actually near where I live believe or not wild turkeys have been known to attack. Not with as much damage as a kangeroo though
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 10:34 am
Any animal, wild or otherwise, can attack. It's their nature.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:12 pm
Swans are bad about that too, Linkat. And they don't need a pack to be dangerous.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:16 pm
I got attacked by a swan once. Damn thing gave chase! Scared the crap out of me.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:20 pm
Golf courses are bird havens. Canadian geese are often present, and they won't necessarily move to let you find your ball. I usually approach making as much noise as possible, with a club in one hand. Most of the time they will get out of the way.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:22 pm
roger wrote:
Swans are bad about that too, Linkat. And they don't need a pack to be dangerous.

One came after my baby at the lake not long ago...it was bigger than him for sure...it was pretty fast too. One minute in the water - next flapping over him...yikes. We respect them greatly and from a distance now.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:26 pm
THE vast majority of the worlds most deadly snakes live in the SUnburnt LAnd . Spiders the size of buicks, killer poisonous monotremes, and vile sputumed giant running lizards. Not to mention the killer philangeroideans who would tear out your guts soon as look at you. BATS and flying fox that show up on radar.

All e have to deal with are thugs and gangsters.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:31 pm
Seagulls can be nasty too. The SF Zoo cafeteria is known for seagull attacks. One of them bloodied my daughter's hand when her grandfather wasn't paying attention - went after her hot dog.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 12:36 pm
Seagulls just poop on me. Can't stand the things.

Learned another lesson...do not feed the seagulls....one comes they all come...then they start raining poop and they will not leave you alone. I remember standing on the beach throwing up crackers and having a whole flock of them swooping and soaring around me...It felt very surreal and like I was playing a scene in a good movie...until the damn things started pooping - then I was running to get away and then they wouldn't leave me alone...suddenly changed to The Birds. Or SNL. dammit.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 01:06 pm
mismi wrote:
Seagulls just poop on me. Can't stand the things.

Learned another lesson...do not feed the seagulls....one comes they all come...then they start raining poop and they will not leave you alone. I remember standing on the beach throwing up crackers and having a whole flock of them swooping and soaring around me...It felt very surreal and like I was playing a scene in a good movie...until the damn things started pooping - then I was running to get away and then they wouldn't leave me alone...suddenly changed to The Birds. Or SNL. dammit.

Ever see High Anxiety? Mel Brroks was chased by birds all pooping on him - take off obviously from The Birds. Just think your life is a Mel Brooks comedy.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 01:07 pm
I do. It is. Sad but true.

(that is hilarious Linkat!)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 01:10 pm
Had that happen too. Came out of a restaurant and there was a huge seagull poop right on the hood of my then new BMW. I got a towel and some water and was trying to wipe it off when the bird pooped again.... I hadn't looked up to realize I was parked under a light.... stupid...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 03:23 pm
farmerman wrote:
THE vast majority of the worlds most deadly snakes live in the SUnburnt LAnd . Spiders the size of buicks, killer poisonous monotremes, and vile sputumed giant running lizards. Not to mention the killer philangeroideans who would tear out your guts soon as look at you. BATS and flying fox that show up on radar.

All e have to deal with are thugs and gangsters.

Bloody nonsense.

Damn sweet-natured, mild and pacific bunch of fauna...even our (black) swans are of a mild disposition. I walked through a huge bunch of them feeding on the way home last night, and they just nodded their heads.

I do have a healthy respect for funnel webs, though. Fortunately, there are none where I live.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 03:27 pm
I looked up Australia's most dangerous animals - kangeroos don't come up - but lots of spiders and snakes.

1. The Box Jellyfish

2. Irukandji (A Jellyfish)

3. Salt Water Crocodile

4. Blue Ring Octopus

5. Stone Fish

6. Red Back Spider

7. Brown Snake

8. Tiger Snake

9. Great White Shark

10. Funnel Web Spider
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 03:33 pm
Linkat wrote:
I looked up Australia's most dangerous animals - kangeroos don't come up - but lots of spiders and snakes.

1. The Box Jellyfish

2. Irukandji (A Jellyfish)

3. Salt Water Crocodile

4. Blue Ring Octopus

5. Stone Fish

6. Red Back Spider

7. Brown Snake

8. Tiger Snake

9. Great White Shark

10. Funnel Web Spider

You guys have great whites, too! They can be a tad bitey.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 03:35 pm
Yeah - we have Makos too which are very aggressive.

Just last week, they had the monster shark hunt at Martha's Vineyard an annual event.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2008 03:36 pm
I also read elsewhere that Kangeroos are considered dangerous - more so because of the numbers they have and the accidents they cause on the roads rather than their attacks.
0 Replies