Trim colors when your windows are really doors.

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 04:29 pm
You are right about the yellowness. I'm not sure you'll be happy with Kangaroo. It looks like it has a lot more yellow elements than the French Press. The French Press color family looks like it has a lot more green elements.

I think you need to stay in the same row for the same color family. Decide which you like better and then go with the combination of Pensive/French Press or Kangaroo/Barrista.

For the interior trim go with either Jute or Frappe depending on which color family is your final choice.

What color family are the interior walls?

Silly question, but why are you going with such a contrasting color for the exterior trim? If you were to select a lighter color it would reduce the starkness when the doors are open and the color is on the inside.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:06 am
My lady and I have 12 foot tall windows in our downtown apartment and we painted them and the trim white.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:19 am
Hey! How'd you do that?

The colors don't really look like they do on that site. Kangaroo is not nearly that yellow. I've tried six colors going "too light", "too dark", pick one in between, "too light", "too dark", pick one in between and so on until I hit on Kangaroo.

My house is I guess what they call "storybook tudor" so it really does have to have some contrast. Here's a picture of the outside....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/house.jpg

What look like windows on the front porch are really doors (the main door to the house is in the inset -- the small arched window leads to an entry space off the living room), the arched window on the second floor is really a door and there are three more similar doors on the side of the house.

The exterior color on all of these doors becomes interior color when the doors are open.

Right now EVERYTHING in my house is white. I hate white paint. With so much restoration going on it hasn't been worth it to paint since the paint would get trashed when the windows got pulled out.

I know white is the usual choice for trim. I just don't like it for my own home.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:36 am
Nice house boomerang !!
I came real close to buying one like it when I was in Maryland.

I thought you were talking about the interior, white would look terrible on the exterior of your house

We painted the interior white and the brick exterior and being on the 4th floor made white cladding a natural.

Here is one set of windows, there are 5 set just like these.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/LookingWest.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:50 am
Nice place! GREAT light!

If my house had such crisp lines I'd probably consider off-whites but since we're restoring instead of replacing we aren't going to get crispness.

And, yes, I am talking about interior trim colors. The problem is that so much of the exterior trim becomes interior trim when the doors are open -- the color doesn't stay outside.

We don't deal with a lot of weather extremes and we don't have air conditioning so outside/inside gets a little blurry. There are so many windows and so much trim that the colors really need to blend well between inside and outside.

Since that photo was taken we've put on a new roof which is less gray and more black, which, I think expands our color choices.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 11:19 am
Boomer
Boomer, this Sherwin Willaims paint site may help you visualize your exterior paint colors. You can experiment with house colors on line without having to test paint them on your house. I used to use this site when I was an Architectural Administrator.

http://www.sherwin.com/visualizer/

BBB
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 04:40 pm
Oh gosh. That's fun! Thanks BBB.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 07:27 pm
boomerang wrote:
And, yes, I am talking about interior trim colors. The problem is that so much of the exterior trim becomes interior trim when the doors are open -- the color doesn't stay outside.

We don't deal with a lot of weather extremes and we don't have air conditioning so outside/inside gets a little blurry. There are so many windows and so much trim that the colors really need to blend well between inside and outside.

What you said above is why I was asking about the stark contrast in the exterior trim color. Does the contrast really need to be that stark? What about a lighter shade for the trim that still provides the contrast you are looking for and also plays nice with the interior colors?

Regarding the paint color swatch, I just did a screen capture then pasted and cropped it in Paintshop Pro then uploaded it to my site and linked to it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 03:11 pm
Just ran across a page in the current House Beautiful, p. 34 - Twilight Field part 6 -

Can't find it online but it is probably still at newstands.. or will be showing up online soon. (They're only up to part 5, but Sept issue should be on the stands soon),

Anyway, you might want a quick look..
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2008 04:05 pm
I understand what you're saying, Boom, but it's still exterior trim. It just happens to visit the interior on occassion.
What about picking an interior trim the coordinates with the exterior?
Does having that differences on the doors bother you that much?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 03:04 pm
I saw a house recently that made me think of this thread.

It's in a nearby neighbourhood with a number of Tudor revival homes.

The owners have reversed the contrast. Mid-tan on body of house, slightly lighter tan/white on the 'timbers'. It looks good. I wondered if they had similar inside/outside trim concerns.

I'll try to remember to stop the car to take a pic this weekend.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:05 pm
I had my first harumph moment last weeked when I was painting the outside trim around the doors and came to the threshold -- half of it is inside and half of it is outside but it is all one piece of wood.

I checked out the other doors that haven't been stripped and sure enough - one side is dark and one side is light. It looks crappy (my house was painted by imbicile, seriously, I spent three hours scraping paint off the bathroom tiles today so that I can repaint that room) but the fact is I never noticed it before now. Of course, that could be because all of the doors were painted shut until recently.

I LOVE paint but this house is giving me heartburn.

I'd love to see a photo of the reverse tudor paint job. It's too late for me to make such a decision but it sounds really cool!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:12 pm
Are the thresholds oak? I'd just strip them and varnish..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 06:18 pm
No, they're fir.

But then the thresholds would match neither the interior or exterior trim.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:39 pm
So what? (not meant gruffly, but real wood is good. And it is the threshold.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:45 pm
I had two primo bungalows, not so apparent on the getting, one in a redlined area, and one with heaps to do re liveability.

The first, we screwed up. We painted the wood. There's a bit of an excuse in that we had lived in a strange placed just before that with a lot of brown painted wood, but really, I can hardly contemplate that we painted the wood.

But once it was painted, there we were.

In my second bungalow, this one much bigger, there was fantastic wainscotting, pocket doors, murphy bed, on and on, and the idea was to protect the wood, which was, first of all, soft.

So, I get various views on wood. But I like a nice threshold.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:50 pm
Have to add - that I know, and I don't know how, that much of the wood in bungalow #2 had been stripped as it had been painted, the stripping a painstaking job by some former owner, not the one I bought it from.

To explain my last post, we came into our house, bungalow #1, hating brown painted wood, thus the need for white.

Strangles my former self.
0 Replies