Appeasement.

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:16 pm
When Bush often said he will not talk to our enemies, that was pretty clear message to most of us. It's now ok to change from no talk to one talk.

Did you know that Bush lies?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:17 pm
BTW, the current situation with Bush has absolutely nothing to do with Nazis.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 05:05 pm
Foofie wrote:
I cannot agree. Remember, the context of my statement was the "brilliant verbal 'chess' move" by President Bush.

Yes, it was quite brilliant. He likened people who are willing to talk to 'the enemy' to Nazi appeasers. He explicitly mentioned Iran as the enemy.

A brilliant move to implicitly accuse Obama of being a Nazi appeaser - whatever that's supposed to mean.

Of course, it would be an equally brilliant move now to point out that Bush completely changed course and came around to follow Obama's strategy - which is meeting and talking to Iranian representatives. Merely talking in a context of "brilliant verbal 'chess' moves", though.

Foofie wrote:
What President Bush said to the Israelis (who obviously are an anti-Nazi audience) does not necessarily have anything to do with the present possible willingness to talk to the Iranians. You seem to be looking for absolutes in a world of diplomacy, where absolutes might not be the rule?

No, I'm not. I'm just pointing out that the neocon Bush administration claimed, for over seven years, that there were absolutes. That there was no way of talking to "radicals and terrorists". Never ever. Impossible. Can't do.

Me, I'm perfectly fine with a policy that acknowledges that there's not just black and white. That there's room for diplomacy. That you can even talk to radicals. That it's not appeasement to talk to Iran. Perfectly fine.

I'm just amused at all the conservatives - in the media as well as here on A2K - who parroted Bush's talking point just a few weeks ago, and now look pretty much like idiots by the sudden about-face of the Bush admin.

Foofie wrote:
But, I might be the wrong person to discuss whether it would have been correct to talk to the Nazis, since my background is Jewish. That variable should disqualify me as an impartial respondent to your question. Ta-ta.

I don't think that makes you the wrong person. Quite the opposite. If you're not an impartial respondent, it would seem that successful resolution would be more important to you than a tough, principled, black-or-white, no diplomacy kind of approach just for the heck of it.

That's where you're likely different than all the chicken-hawks here who don't really have a serious interest in the outcome.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 08:06 pm
I for one am pleased by Bush's reversal onto a course that is obviously a better one than where we were going. I'm willing to say "good job" without rubbing his face in it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 07:01 pm
http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/06/24/40/slideshow_640246_mike07202008.jpg
0 Replies