How many types of coffee are available in the world?

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:27 am
Hello, I am interested to know more about this mesmerizing beverage. Anyone can provide me more information about how many types of coffee are there in the world? Better still if there are pictures or websites included. Hope to hear from u soon. Thanks ya.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 12,443 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Wy

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:57 pm
First thing I thought of was "google Starbucks"... They are NOT the be-all and end-all of coffee by any means, but they do have coffees from all over the world and it might be a place to start...

But, depending on how you characterize a "type", I'd say the number is close to infinite. It's all from the same plant; soil, water, sunshine and other environmental stimuli all change the flavor a bit.
0 Replies

CutieKen

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:18 pm
Yeah, u are rigth here as Starbucks does provide a myriad of coffee around the world but too bad the website doesn really show all the types in detail.

Erm. the types i mentioned in the last post was actually refering to the name, origin or perhaps photoes of the coffee.

Here is an example, Blue Mountain Coffee will be the name of the coffee but the particular link in google is not accessible...

Hope that there are some coffee lovers out there who are willing to share me some thoughts on this lovely yet unreachable (the details) drink.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:28 pm
2:
Good coffee and
Really good coffee
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:03 pm
neologist wrote:
2:
Good coffee and
Really good coffee

Razz

I would have thought:

1) coffee;
and
2) - what is that stuff?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 07:36 am
CutieKen wrote:
Here is an example, Blue Mountain Coffee will be the name of the coffee but the particular link in google is not accessible...

You are getting caught up in branding here.

There are two major coffee "types" - Arabica and Robusto. Arabica beans are grown across South and Central America and Africa and Robusto beans are usually grown in Asia.

Within those two types coffee beans are known by where they are grown (commonly labeled by country) and the type of geography they are grown in (i.e. mountian, valley, etc...). Many coffees sold are blends of coffees from different areas. Then, of course, there are various ways of roasting and grinding the beans which all affect the final flavor you get.

A fairly recent trend among coffee producers is to go to an "Estate Brand" much like wines are sold. Your "Blue Mountian" is one of these. "Blue Mountian" is an estate brand sold by a co-op of 4 estates that grow an arabica bean in the mountians of Jamacia.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 02:38 pm
Hi Ken,

You say, "Here is an example, Blue Mountain Coffee will be the name of the coffee but the particular link in google is not accessible... "

Google gives me pages of links for "Blue Mountain Coffee"... there are pictures, history, photos of the geography... What else do you want?
Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 02:45 pm
Quote:
How many types of coffee are available in the world?

Two . . . caf and decaf.
0 Replies

irina32

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 05:54 pm
@Wy,
Dont forget about Europe........ America or Asia does not make the world.... Europe actually has the biggest selection for instant coffee, decofeine, and grounded coffee. Starbucks has mostly italian coffee ... expresso, cappuccino, machiato, coffee latte etc.
0 Replies