A Day No Dogs Will Die (and be eaten)

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 05:07 am
Heard on the TV news just now: China has told restaurants to serve no dog meat during the Olympics. No mention of cats, horses, gerbils and hampsters.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,302 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 06:41 am
Why?

When in Rome.....at least respect the cultural differences.

I'd never eat dog, but I wouldn't begrudge someone who wanted it. Especially in their own country where it was considered the norm.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 07:12 am
I am not a proponent of accepting cultural differences when it comes to killing dogs (and other items not in the scope of this thread).
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 10:26 am
Why not cows? Pigs? Chickens? Buffalo?

The only reason we feel squeamish about dogs is because we view them as pets.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 10:29 am
Dogs have a near universal appeal to Americans and many Europeans, and are in fact family members to a great number of us. It's nearly as bad as taking one of the children for stew meat.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 11:46 am
There are several of other people's children that would be best used as a food source IMO.... Laughing
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 12:37 pm
Please see below link as it will give you an idea of my general opinion.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/chinese_authorities_execute_10
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 01:43 pm
Seems to me that Westerners don't eat carnivores. No dog, cat, wolf, eagle, vulture... Maybe the occasional omnivore (bear comes to mind as something we might not choose but isn't too repulsive). And rodents seem to be restricted to rabbits.

Other areas of the world are not so restrictive when it comes to protein...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 01:47 pm
Wy wrote:
Seems to me that Westerners don't eat carnivores. No dog, cat, wolf, eagle, vulture... Maybe the occasional omnivore (bear comes to mind as something we might not choose but isn't too repulsive). And rodents seem to be restricted to rabbits.

Other areas of the world are not so restrictive when it comes to protein...

We all belong in the food chain somewhere. But, I don't have to mentally accept eating dogs.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 02:11 pm
I would rather it not happen, but then again, when we have the olympics here do we stop serving beef so as not to offend some in attendance?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 02:18 pm
I am sure the Chinese are only pinpointing dogs. They are not kowtowing to every tabu known to the rest of the world. It is not possible to cater to every custom or habit. Some do not eat any meat at all; some do not eat any vegetable. I believe they are acknowledging the emotionalism of westerners in barring dog meat. As for the sacredness of cows, I don't think they are reverenced as much as some of us think. In India, for instance, they know plastic bags are responsible for the deaths of cows, but do nothing to stop it.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 12:46 pm
That's good, in my books.

With the very fact that the Olympics are actually going to be happening in Beijing - they have a lot of asses to kiss.

It's the least they can do to try and put a good face on the mess. Though it isn't the least they are doing to try and put a good face on the mess.

It's just common sense to try and bring out the good stuff that guests will like when the world is already looking at you with hyper critical eyes.
0 Replies