Pringles not a potato snack

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 05:59 pm
LONDON, England -- Britain's High Court has ruled that Pringles are not a potato snack, and thus are not subject to value-added tax.
Friday's ruling by Justice Nicholas Warren is expected to save millions for the manufacturer, Procter & Gamble Co.
Warren overruled a VAT Tribunal decision that Pringles should be subject to the 17.5-percent tax because it met the definition of "potato crisps, potato sticks, potato puffs and similar products made from the potato, or from potato flour, or from potato starch."
The judge found that Pringles were only 42 percent potato, and thus exempt.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,716 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:10 pm
Re: Pringles not a potato snack
edgarblythe wrote:
LONDON, England -- Britain's High Court has ruled that Pringles are not a potato snack, and thus are not subject to value-added tax.
Friday's ruling by Justice Nicholas Warren is expected to save millions for the manufacturer, Procter & Gamble Co.
Warren overruled a VAT Tribunal decision that Pringles should be subject to the 17.5-percent tax because it met the definition of "potato crisps, potato sticks, potato puffs and similar products made from the potato, or from potato flour, or from potato starch."
The judge found that Pringles were only 42 percent potato, and thus exempt.

What's the other 58 percent? Cardboard? Mucilage?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:14 pm
Good question, MA. Somehow, I have the feeling that if it's cardboard, it would be listed as nonsoluable fiber.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:14 pm
Almost makes me want to buy a can, just to read the label.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:42 pm
Serving Size 1 Ounce (28 g, approx. 14 crisps)
Servings Per Container 6

Amount Per Serving
Calories 160 Calories from Fat 100

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g 17%
Saturated Fat 3 g 16%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 170 mg 7%
Total Carbohydrate 14 g 5%
Dietary Fiber <1 g 3%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 1 g

Vitamin A 0% · Vitamin C 6% ·
Calcium 0% · Iron 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:

Calories: 2,000 2,500

Total Fat Less than 65 g 80 g
Sat Fat Less than 20 g 25 g
Cholesterol Less than 300 mg 300 mg
Sodium Less than 2,400 mg 2,400 mg
Total Carbohydrate 300 g 375 g
Dietary Fiber 25 g 30 g

INGREDIENTS: DRIED POTATOES, VEGETABLE OIL (CONTAINS ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: CORN OIL, COTTONSEED OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, AND/OR SUNFLOWER OIL), RICE FLOUR, WHEAT STARCH, MALTODEXTRIN, SALT AND DEXTROSE.
CONTAINS WHEAT INGREDIENTS.

DISTR. BY PROCTER & GAMBLE, CINCINNATI, OHIO 45202, U.S.A.

NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS · NO PRESERVATIVES
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 06:56 pm
I love Pringles! Particularly Sour Cream and Onion flavored Pringles---although the Honey Mustard (limited) Pringles aren't bad ....I'm especially amused at how the can is puffed in Colorado. I rekon' that's because they are packaged in Ohio where it is 400 feet elevation and shipped to Denver at 5280 feet elevation. But in Colorado you have a hard time finding the resealable cap on a new can of Pringles, 'cause when the sealable lid is puffed out, the resealable lid tends to depart for parts unknown.

Caution, Sealed Pringle cans really become unhinged when you take them up a thirteener. But then I've had a bad Dr Pepper incidents or two on a thirteener.

Rap
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 07:16 pm
pringles work better then exlax..

(yuck) those things are slimy greasy

Give me some ruffles with cream cheese and hot sauce any day..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:16 am
whats a thirteener Rap?

My crew was on a focus consumer study group in 1982. We tested some new flavors of Pringles that never made it to market. We had cans of Pringles just with big numbers on them and we would have to fill out these response cards about our feelings re Pringle potato snacks.

We used em as wild turkey bait stations near Mehoopany Pa and we got a couple turkeys lured into shootin range. Also a bunch of crows,

Pringles are an excellent survival food -like substance
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 05:26 am
Weird, you should come out with that!
I was just looking at a pringle, yesterday, wondering what it was REALLY made of!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 07:54 am
A thirteener is a peak above 13,000'.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:16 am
farmerman wrote:
whats a thirteener Rap?

Roger has the usage of a thirteener right.

Wow! I bet I know who delivered those Pringles. One of the other adult leaders of my sons Explorer post while we were living in Cincinnati was a secured delivery agent for P(rofit) & G(od). He told of his exploits of delivering cryptically marked Pringles cans all over the country when he noticed my affliction/addiction. As a result he'd periodically bring me test market flavors.

As for making Turkey and Crow bait, I can understand how they would work--my son also used Pringle dregs in the can to make a quite serviceable mouse trap.

Survival rations. Pringles are sterile when hermetically sealed in the can- their shelf life is nearly infinite when kept dry sealed, so as long as they are kept dry and undisturbed in the can they'll last years. As a result Pringles are a big seller in Utah.

BTW I've noticed that Wally World does not keep Pringles on the same shelves with potato ans corn chips snacks. Something about Pringles not being either a potato or a corn snack.

Rap
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:20 am
...and that Satanic logo does not sit well with Wally people.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:20 am
Re: Pringles not a potato snack
Merry Andrew wrote:
What's the other 58 percent? Cardboard? Mucilage?

Papier-mache.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 08:21 am
Eat a dick, Pringles. You're no potato chip!
0 Replies

sabixatzil1

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:19 am
Wow.
What have I been eating all those years?
Confused
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:26 am
sabixatzil1 wrote:
Wow.
What have I been eating all those years?
Confused

I believe the caribou already answered that question on the previous page.

Welcome aboard, sabix.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:44 am
farmerman wrote:
...and that Satanic logo does not sit well with Wally people.

If you believe that, ask yourself why the Power & Glory of Cincinnati has an office in Benton, Arkansas.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 09:18 pm
roger wrote:
A thirteener is a peak above 13,000'.

who's been peeking at 13,000 feet? Thas a lot of steps!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 02:39 am
Don't they call it Beijing now, not Peking any more?

OK, OK. I'm leaving.
0 Replies

J Lord

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 09:19 pm
@raprap,
re raprap's comment "As for making Turkey and Crow bait, I can understand how they would work--my son also used Pringle dregs in the can to make a quite serviceable mouse trap." - I thought I had been the only one to do that. I once worked night shift in a phone company computer center where there had been a few mice seen around under the consoles. One night, I took my almost empty Potato Stix (I believe that's a brand name) can and placed a box of IBM punch cards (about 15" long, by 7.5" wide, by 3.5" high) and laid the can balanced on the end of the box with the bottom of the can hanging over the end and the open top near the middle of the box. Then I waited. Less than a half hour later, I heard the can clunk as a mouse had crawled in it to get the crumbs out of the bottom and over-balanced it. The can had slipped neatly off the edge of the card box and landed upright on it's bottom and the mouse didn't jump high enough on its first attempt to get out. I lifted the can up under the counter to keep the top covered while I slid the lid for the can into place to capture the mouse. Then I took him outside and released him several hundred yards away across a field. Of course, when I got back in, my co-workers joked that the mouse had probably beaten me back into the building, but I said that was probably just its cousins looking for more handouts. They loved running around under the raised flooring the the data center had for the cabling required by the big mainframe computers. You can't beat that trap for ease of construction - although, now that it's not the mid 1980's you'll have a hard time finding a 2000 card box of IBM punch cards outside of a museum.
0 Replies