Christian license plates for South Carolina

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:29 am
This should be fun.

Quote:
COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) -- Unless a federal court intervenes, South Carolina drivers may soon be able to profess their Christian faith with a state-issued license plate.

South Carolina's plate is based on a design by Florida, which was rejected by the state.

The state plans to issue plates featuring a Christian cross and the words "I Believe," but a group advocating the separation of church and state says that goes too far.

A similar design had been considered by Florida's lawmakers, but it was rejected there because of concerns over separation of church and state.

Americans United for Separation of Church and State, which includes Christian, Jewish and Hindu clergy, filed a federal lawsuit last month. The group contends that the plates violate the U.S. Constitution's prohibition against government favoring one religion over another religion or non-religion.

South Carolina became the first state to offer Christian car tags last month, when Gov. Mark Sanford allowed the bill to become law without his signature. The state legislature had passed it unanimously.

If you're a Christian, South Carolina will help you spread the word. But if you're any other religion, you have to pay $4000 to proclaim your belief on your license plate.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8166/artplate2apyq1.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 785 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 08:20 am
I would respond to this thread, except for the fact that if I wrote what I thought, I would surely be banned from the site.

In Florida (the third world capital of the US of A) there is a darling license plate with two cartoon kiddies. It says, "Choose Life". Every time that I spot one, I want to puke!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 08:37 am
A woman i know in Columbus, Ohio wished to apply for a vanity license plate which would read "Atheist." She was told that she could not apply for such a plate because it would be offensive. This was not a case of applying for the plate and being turned down by the department of motor vehicles, this was a case of the clerk in the licensing office telling her she could not even make such an application.

Columbus is the state capital. It only took her a couple of days to raise Holy Hell (all puns intended) with the DMV. She got her plate. They misspelled atheist on the plate.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 09:01 am
Setanta wrote:
She got her plate. They misspelled atheist on the plate.

Hahaha, that one cracked me up Smile

I bet the Kristians get their's spelled right.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 09:10 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
In Florida (the third world capital of the US of A) there is a darling license plate with two cartoon kiddies. It says, "Choose Life". Every time that I spot one, I want to puke![/color][/b]

That's interesting. Is there anything in the constitution which prevents the government from promoting particular viewpoints on things (non-religious things)?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 09:16 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
In Florida (the third world capital of the US of A) there is a darling license plate with two cartoon kiddies. It says, "Choose Life". Every time that I spot one, I want to puke![/color][/b]

That's interesting. Is there anything in the constitution which prevents the government from promoting particular viewpoints on things (non-religious things)?

Damned if I know. I have never seen so many different license plates promoting so many different things. The number of plates that are available are numerous to the point of idiocy. Check this out:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 09:22 am
I wouldn't mind the "I Believe" part, if there were other options for the symbol besides the cross. If I could get a UFO, I might actually pay the money.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 09:23 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Damned if I know. I have never seen so many different license plates promoting so many different things. The number of plates that are available are numerous to the point of idiocy. Check this out:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/

I guess the state is willing to put almost anything on its license plates (as long as it doesn't promote one religion over another).

To tell the truth, as long as they treat everyone (and every idea equally), it doesn't bother me that much. The state's probably just trying to find a way to make money on its license plates.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 10:17 am
Apparently, some of the revenue from the special license plates in Florida go to governmental agencies, some to nonprofit organizations, and some????

http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/SpecPlateRev.html
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 10:50 am
mac11 wrote:
I wouldn't mind the "I Believe" part, if there were other options for the symbol besides the cross. If I could get a UFO, I might actually pay the money.

LOL... you think there is any law against pasting a new image on the plate (provided you didn't cover up the important part)?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 11:23 am
in ontario a fair number of drivers have a second "look-alike" plate with all kinds of "important" information on it .
a vanity plate costs a fair bit of money in ontario . if i'd wnt to promote any kind of mesage it would be a lot cheaper and effective to have a second plate imo , and no hassle with the MTO (minisry of transportation - ontario) .
hbg
0 Replies