Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,547 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 05:43 am
Thanks, EB.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 05:51 am
They charge us 8 or 9 bucks a pound for shitakes, in Tomball. Naturally I'm interested.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 05:52 am
we are truly blessed in that, living in the nucleus of the US mushroom industry, we always know where our shiitakes and criminis and bull and oyster and etc mushrooms come from. They come from Sherockees. Shiitakes must be fresh, otherwise you jus dry them completely and reconstitue for that stronger "dried shrrom " taste that is ideal for soups.
Non of that imported crap.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 04:28 pm
I do recall that the shitakes are sometimes very dry, and I did not buy them. I guess you don't really need a label to know the difference.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 04:41 pm
well we create markets for otherwise overripe mushrooms. The same mushroom is known as the "button" when small, a "stuffer' when the gills are open, and a "Portabello" when overripe.
Weve actually created the market for portableeos by letting people like Julioa Child screw with them .

My favorite mushroom is, of course, the morel, followed by the "oyster'. Both are wild shrooms that grow in unique limited environments.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 04:46 pm
I don't get to experiment much. My wife hates them; I only have some when she's away from the house.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2008 06:39 am
@edgarblythe,
Im going hunting for wild oyster mushrooms this week. They are starting to show up in the piney woods up here in Washington County MAine. They appear as large caps in the forest duff and are quite easy to spot and they are easily distinguished from "Death Angels" by thier lack of a stem collar and their deep brown gills.
0 Replies