one litre car

noinipo

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 06:30 am
Too bad this car is not yet available. It would sell like hotcakes.

http://www.greatchange.org/footnotes-1-liter-car.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,077 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 08:38 am
My first concern is safety.

Didn't read all the specs, but I'd like to know how it did in crash tests compared to other cars with a high rating.

If it is safe, I still wonder if it will get in more accidents than a more normal size small car, since the SUV monsters may not see it.

As it is, I've often encountered the attitude of an SUV driver of "I'm bigger than you, you'll just have to watch me, and keep out of my way."
Well, it might be an attitude, or simply that the person driving is navigating more vehicle than he/she can handle.

It seems like a great commuter car, which is what a lot of us need.

I didn't notice price....how much is it.

I will come back and read in more detail later.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 11:04 am
THIS is even better.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 11:15 am
Yeah, sometimes we can do things like that.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 11:21 am
Yeah, you French people are alright.

I just realized the newscaster on that video is named Britney Spears. I wonder if she's wearing any underwear behind that desk.
0 Replies

noinipo

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 11:40 am
Some SUV drivers think that size protects the driver on the highway. If that were true, they better stop sharing the road with those huge semis. If only size matters, all SUVs could be crushed by big trucks.
What matters most is driving in a proper way. In Germany, without speed limits, there are fewer accidents. Better drivers and much better roads.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 11:52 am
One litre car eh? Thats small. Its 1000 cubic centimetres. Or a volume equivalent to 10*10*10 cm. Thats very small. I could possibly wear it as a shoe. But then two of these small cars would only be equal to one pair of trainers. I prefer to bike it.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 11:54 am
You are saying so, Steve, because it's French, isn't it? Twisted Evil

If you prefer biking, come to the Tour de France..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 12:05 pm
kickycan wrote:
THIS is even better.

Yeah, I like that car.

You go to a gas station to fill with compressed air?

We have our own air compressor, couldn't you use that? Or, would there be a special hookup that only gas stations will be licensed for?

Also, it looks boxy, but I guess you can't have everything.

Someone in my neighborhood has one of those 1 or 2 seater cars, I forget what they're called.

noinipo....I agree safe driving is the thing. I'm just not excited about being the lab rat while others are learning to drive safely.

I don't care if SUV drivers think they are safer in their tanks, I'm concerned about my safety around them.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 12:08 pm
Ah, the one liter refers to fuel consumption per km. It has great potential, though when and if it gets into production, the numbers won't be as good. That body and those materials won't hit a price point for anything other than the original Duessenberg market. So, if fuel consumption doubles, it still looks darn good.

The air car might be closer to production, but is waiting for nationwide air stations for refueling. I can't imagine why they went with a reciprocating engine. All shop air tools I've ever seen use rotating, sliding vane motors. That can't be just coincidence.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 12:09 pm
Watching it...excellent.

But why no prologue stage this year? I saw it in London last year.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 12:22 pm
Chai, I doubt a home air compressor would be efficient enough to compete with an industrial compressor. Some things just don't down scale very well.

Good point about the licensed fittings. Somehow or other, the state and federal highway use taxes are going to be collected. Point of sale sounds best.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 12:22 pm
Chai wrote:
We have our own air compressor, couldn't you use that? Or, would there be a special hookup that only gas stations will be licensed for?

Not the model we can see in the video.

It has a standard industrial hookup.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 12:26 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
But why no prologue stage this year? I saw it in London last year.

Christian Prudhomme decided so. He took off bonifications on stages too..
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 11:49 am
my mate next door owned a Maigret Citroen Light 15. That didnt run on compressed air.
0 Replies