DNA Was Designed By A Mind

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:05 am
Dodge? That comes from the King of Dodge City.

What evidence do you, "real life," have that DNA was "designed" by a mind.

That is the burden of this thread. The member "real life" has been dodging this question since the beginning.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:27 am
rl
Quote:
Do you or do you not agree with Shapiro that the 'rna world' hypothesis is implausible?

I dont make believe that Ive got the same level of involvement as Dr Shapiro, so his opinions are valid, (As are equally counter arguments by Craig Venter, Niles Eldredge etc). As you conveniently miscast what Shapiro said , you fail to mention that his
"Improbability of an RNA world" is based upon a somewhat convincing argument that life originated with much simpler molecules, and evolved into the xNA family of products. I can live with either outcome, what about you? does a simpler chemical world satisfy your intellectual curiosity?

Beats the "Big guy in the sky" alternative (from which not even a hypothesis , testable under present science, can be formulated)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:37 am
Setanta wrote:
Dodge? That comes from the King of Dodge City.

What evidence do you, "real life," have that DNA was "designed" by a mind.

That is the burden of this thread. The member "real life" has been dodging this question since the beginning.

You don't want to even to begin discussing dna, Set.

DNA cannot have developed or 'evolved' in the open environment, even as a successor to an earlier replicator.

Why? DNA and some of the compounds leading to it would be easily degraded and destroyed in the open environment.

So where does that leave it?

Shapiro postulates that early replicators leading eventually to rna developed in a living organism, in what he calls a 'metabolism first' scenario.

Well, first of all , a living organism that cannot reproduce without reliance on things like 'physical forces splitting it' will likely have a very brief family tree to boast of.

But aside from that, it doesn't really avoid one of the problems cited by Shapiro:

Quote:
To rescue the RNA-first concept from this otherwise lethal defect, its advocates have created a discipline called prebiotic synthesis. They have attempted to show that RNA and its components can be prepared in their laboratories in a sequence of carefully controlled reactions, normally carried out in water at temperatures observed on Earth....

I will cite one example of prebiotic synthesis, published in 1995 by Nature and featured in the New York Times. The RNA base cytosine was prepared in high yield by heating two purified chemicals in a sealed glass tube at 100 degrees Celsius for about a day. One of the reagents, cyanoacetaldehyde, is a reactive substance capable of combining with a number of common chemicals that may have been present on the early Earth. These competitors were excluded. An extremely high concentration was needed to coax the other participant, urea, to react at a sufficient rate for the reaction to succeed. The product, cytosine, can self-destruct by simple reaction with water. When the urea concentration was lowered, or the reaction allowed to continue too long, any cytosine that was produced was subsequently destroyed. This destructive reaction had been discovered in my laboratory, as part of my continuing research on environmental damage to DNA. Our own cells deal with it by maintaining a suite of enzymes that specialize in DNA repair.

The exceptionally high urea concentration was rationalized in the Nature paper by invoking a vision of drying lagoons on the early Earth. In a published rebuttal, I calculated that a large lagoon would have to be evaporated to the size of a puddle, without loss of its contents, to achieve that concentration. No such feature exists on Earth today.

And no such feature would fit inside the microsopic 'metabolism first' organism either.

Shapiro rather glosses over this defect , because he has burnt the bridge leading back to the 'replicator first' hypothesis.

He assumes the path while avoiding specific discussion on how to get around the gaping hole ahead:

Quote:
An understanding of the initial steps leading to life would not reveal the specific events that led to the familiar DNA-RNA-protein-based organisms of today.

He assumes that some natural chemical path 'led to life', and wraps up the article with further assumptions:

Quote:
However, because we know that evolution does not anticipate future events, we can presume that nucleotides first appeared in metabolism to serve some other purpose, perhaps as catalysts or as containers for the storage of chemical energy (the nucleotide ATP still serves this function today).

Some chance event or circumstance may have led to the connection of nucleotides to form RNA. The most obvious function of RNA today is to serve as a structural element that assists in the formation of bonds between amino acids in the synthesis of proteins.

The first RNAs may have served the same purpose, but without any preference for specific amino acids.

Many further steps in evolution would be needed to "invent" the elaborate mechanisms for replication and specific protein synthesis that we observe in life today.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:45 am
real life wrote:

Yes, we know that oxygen and hydrogen compose water outside of life too. So what?

We're not talking about 'possibilities' , but about evidence of the existence of a self replicating molecule that was the basis for living organisms.

One can dream up and speculate about what MIGHTA or COULDA been.

That's not evidence.
Actually, chemistry IS science and IS evidence. We know the composition of life. We know how chemicals combine. You are denying that chemistry exists. YOu are denying the fossil evidence that fm has presented.

Quote:

again, my challenge to you was:

real life wrote:
Apart from dna/rna, concerning what self replicating molecule do you have evidence that it has EVER actually been the basis for a living organism?

Don't tell me 'some unknown replicator that preceded rna' .

We're talking about evidence, not unfalsifiable speculation
We are talking about your failure to accept any evidence other than what you want to accept. When evidence to support one theory is presented you switch theories and say nothing supports the other theory. Which theory are you saying there is no evidence for? The RNA world? or the self replicator prior to RNA? Both have been proposed because there is evidence to support both. They are proposed because they fit the evidence. They are not supported because there is "no evidence."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:49 am
real life wrote:

I know you don't, because you've avoided discussing the topic of the thread consistently.

Shapiro is no support for a contention that life could not arise from what you are pleased to call "dead" chemicals. In fact, he wrote:

Quote:
Once independent units were established, they could evolve in different ways and compete with one another for raw materials; we would have made the transition from life that emerges from nonliving matter through the action of an available energy source to life that adapts to its environment by Darwinian evolution. (emphasis added)

So no matter what distortions you attempt to foist off onto the gullible (which doesn't include me, or Parados, or Roswell, or FM, or Brandon), you cannot support the thesis of this thread by citing Shapiro, no matter how desperately you attempt to twist what he has written.

No, certainly you don't want to discuss DNA. Because then you would be obliged to provide evidence that DNA was "designed" by a mind.

That is something you have assiduously avoided. On that topic, your silence is deafening.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:58 am
parados wrote:
Which theory are you saying there is no evidence for? The RNA world? or the self replicator prior to RNA? Both have been proposed

Shapiro rejects both as implausible. That's the point of his article.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 08:59 am
parados wrote:
We are talking about your failure to accept any evidence other than what you want to accept.

I have pointed this out repeatedly.

RL rejects known scientific facts as evidence for anything. He rejects the dating techniques used to determine the age of rocks. He rejects evolution. He rejects fundamental components of astrophysics. He even rejects the interpretation that science makes from the physical samples at hand.

In essence, he rejects human scientific knowledge. For us to debate with RL on these terms, we would have to re-validate the entire pantheon of scientific discovery since the dawn of humanity.

Humanity makes progress by building upon the knowledge of the past. RL makes progress by ignoring that knowledge and asserting his own set of revealed rules.

You cannot win a debate with someone who makes up their own rules.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 09:01 am
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

Yes, we know that oxygen and hydrogen compose water outside of life too. So what?

We're not talking about 'possibilities' , but about evidence of the existence of a self replicating molecule that was the basis for living organisms.

That's not evidence.
Actually, chemistry IS science and IS evidence. We know the composition of life. We know how chemicals combine. You are denying that chemistry exists.

Chemistry can provide evidence, and it does.

Chemistry provides evidence AGAINST your belief , parados.

Ask Shapiro the chemist.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 09:21 am
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

That's not evidence.
Actually, chemistry IS science and IS evidence. We know the composition of life. We know how chemicals combine. You are denying that chemistry exists.

Ask the chemist Shapiro.

I challenge you to find actual chemical evidence Shapiro provides against the rna or other replicators that can't be classified as "coulda' or "mighta".
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 09:25 am
parados wrote:
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

That's not evidence.

Ask the chemist Shapiro.

I challenge you to find actual chemical evidence Shapiro provides against the rna or other replicators that can't be classified as "coulda' or "mighta".

Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 09:35 am
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:

I know you don't, because you've avoided discussing the topic of the thread consistently.

I'm content to show that it didn't happen by chance, Set.

I've not claimed to have physical evidence of the existence of God. Never have.

Asking for natural evidence of the supernatural is absurd, IMHO.

And assuming that natural (scientific) evidence is the only type of evidence is absurd as well.

Most events of history, indeed of ordinary life, cannot be 'scientifically' proven.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:02 am
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

That's not evidence.

Ask the chemist Shapiro.

Laughing

That sums up your entire argument quite well.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:11 am
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:

Back to that canard again.

So.. Let me ask the question you have never answered.
Are black holes supernatural?
If they are not supernatural then please explain how matter acts in the black hole.

If they are supernatural then your argument there is no natural evidence of the supernatural is what is absurd and you should provide us with your evidence of your supernatural being.
Quote:

And assuming that natural (scientific) evidence is the only type of evidence is absurd as well.

Most events of history, indeed of ordinary life, cannot be 'scientifically' proven.
Actually, they can be scientifically proven. You just won't accept the science. Lets say there was a battle at Gettysburg. You claim it can't be scientifically proven. Yet, science can find evidence of that battle in the form of artifacts. You however, won't accept that as evidence. You won't accept just about anything as evidence. You are intellectually dishonest.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:19 am
parados wrote:
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:

Back to that canard again.

So.. Let me ask the question you have never answered.
Are black holes supernatural?
If they are not supernatural then please explain how matter acts in the black hole.

If they are supernatural then your argument there is no natural evidence of the supernatural is what is absurd and you should provide us with your evidence of your supernatural being.

I've got no real interest in discussing black holes, but based on your persistence you do.

What do you think of this statement by FM regarding black holes:

Quote:
a new paradigm like "M"theory actually works. In that case, we will be able to "Bend" space time to act like a messenger board and a propagator of "worm holes" (I HATE THAT WORD BECAUSE< like a black hole or Jesus Christ, were not even sure they exist
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:22 am
As usual, instead of answering the question, you use someone else's opinion instead of your own.

Evidence? You don't need any evidence. You only want to play word games.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:23 am
So is FM's opinion worthless, in your view?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:23 am
real life wrote:

So is Shapiro's opinion worthless in your view?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:25 am
real life wrote:

We know you think Shapiro's evidence is worthless.

Which raises the question of why are you using Shapiro at all? You think he has no evidence. But you present his argument as if it was evidence.

I think the only conclusion is real life is worthless.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:26 am
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

I've already stated that I agree with Shapiro on some points and disagree on others.

As I said, I've no interest in discussing black holes, I only answered because you had persistently shown an interest. And it certainly doesnt relate to the topic here at all.

Perhaps you should ask someone who is interested in them.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2008 10:29 am
real life wrote:
parados wrote:
real life wrote:

I've already stated that I agree with Shapiro on some points and disagree on others.

As I said, I've no interest in discussing black holes, I only answered because you had persistently shown an interest.

Perhaps you should ask someone who is interested in them.
You don't agree with any "evidence" that Shapiro presents.
0 Replies