DNA Was Designed By A Mind

spendius

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 05:08 pm
Are you still with us ros?

Or are you defining "us" as just those you approve of?

How very comforting. Were you one of those infants who was being "comforted" longer than most?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 05:24 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
I've asked you repeatedly for dozens of pages what evidence you have that DNA was "designed" by a mind--and you have not responded.

I've said on more than one occasion that I've not claimed to have any 'natural' evidence of the 'supernatural'.

For you to pretend otherwise has been both amusing and somewhat pitiful.

What is pitiful is that you continue to insist that there can be no evidence for your poofism, using this natural vs. supernatural dodge, and yet you continue to make remarks such as that which you made to the effect that you considered it significant to show that "it cannot have happened by chance"--which, by the way, you had not shown.

If the a supernatural process creates a naturalistic effect, then it were simplicity itself to provide evidence, by demonstrating that what a supernatural origin is the only plausible explanation for said naturalistic effect. You have failed miserably to do any such thing.

Which is why you continue to dodge the question--and which is why you are so pitiful.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 05:56 pm
Just watch ros dodge the question he was asked.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:37 pm
real life wrote:

My pov is that of a supernatural origin of life. To be clear, I've not stated or implied that there is 'natural' evidence of the 'supernatural'. It would seem an odd requirement.

I've stated my doubts as to the origin of DNA by natural processes. As such, we've seen the hyper-naturalists onboard here hem and haw when asked to provide the natural evidence they claim is so abundant.

Again to be clear, evidence is NOT 'well it COULDA happened, or it MIGHTA been', but should be actual evidence.

For instance, since life on earth is based on dna/rna, any claim that 'earlier replicators formed the basis of early life on Earth' should be accompanied by some real evidence that ANY other replicator has EVER been the basis for a living organism.

Otherwise, it is basically speculation and wishful thinking IMHO.

So, you go for the The Magically Annimated Dust Pile theory? Then why do we even have DNA? Why aren't we just solid, like Gumby? Instead, we have inside out retinas with blind spots, We breathe and eat with the same tube, which means we can choke on our own spit. Appendix that can rupture, spines that hurt, crowded teeth and poor sinus drainage.

What did God do, give the design job to a committee?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:57 pm
Let's not forget the urethra that doubles as a sperm conduit, and the prostate which can be sexually stimulated through through the anus......all part of god's perfect plan!
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 07:59 pm
Pauligirl wrote:
real life wrote:

My pov is that of a supernatural origin of life. To be clear, I've not stated or implied that there is 'natural' evidence of the 'supernatural'. It would seem an odd requirement.

I've stated my doubts as to the origin of DNA by natural processes. As such, we've seen the hyper-naturalists onboard here hem and haw when asked to provide the natural evidence they claim is so abundant.

Again to be clear, evidence is NOT 'well it COULDA happened, or it MIGHTA been', but should be actual evidence.

For instance, since life on earth is based on dna/rna, any claim that 'earlier replicators formed the basis of early life on Earth' should be accompanied by some real evidence that ANY other replicator has EVER been the basis for a living organism.

So, you go for the The Magically Annimated Dust Pile theory? Then why do we even have DNA? Why aren't we just solid, like Gumby? Instead, we have inside out retinas with blind spots, We breathe and eat with the same tube, which means we can choke on our own spit. Appendix that can rupture, spines that hurt, crowded teeth and poor sinus drainage.

Yeah, I know.

And two feet, one that can trip over the other. What else you gonna complain about?

The point is, your opinion of what is or isn't a good design isn't evidence, Pauligirl.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 08:01 pm
loony wrote:
you've wet my appetite, don't leave me drooling

science is offering some nice discounts...........

not sure what you're expecting. a sermon or something

Buying the discounted item isn't necessarily the wisest choice. There's probably a reason it's going so cheap.

How's that for a sermon?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 08:08 pm
If we were created by an all powerful god why do we fart? How does farting help in god's perfect plan?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 08:10 pm
Chumly wrote:
If we were created by an all powerful god why do we fart? How does farting help in god's perfect plan?

Without farting you would swell up and explode, I expect.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2008 08:41 pm
real life wrote:
Pauligirl wrote:
real life wrote:

Yeah, I know.

And two feet, one that can trip over the other. What else you gonna complain about?

The point is, your opinion of what is or isn't a good design isn't evidence, Pauligirl.

So, do you think it's a good design?

And why do we have DNA?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 03:17 am
And why do men have to do all the heavy lifting?

And take all the blame when it's women who cause all the trouble?
0 Replies

loony

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 04:07 am
real life wrote:
loony wrote:

Buying the discounted item isn't necessarily the wisest choice. There's probably a reason it's going so cheap.

How's that for a sermon?
it's an empty statement.
Quote:
''not sure what you're expecting. a sermon or something''

Sure... anything but silence, the only way i think i can understand your POV is to hear it from your good self kind sir.

If you are so sure about your beliefs, so sure as doubt the scientific perspective, why not answer the question as fully as you can?
science if offering me a lot to buy junk or not, where as you are not offering anything so far.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 04:15 am
RL is not known for stating opinions that can put him in the corner. He prefers to rest on the opinions and words of others rather than put anything intellectual on the line.

You'll beat him at cards all day, but since he'll never ante up, you won't make a dime.

T
K
O
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:08 am
loony wrote:
real life wrote:
loony wrote:

How's that for a sermon?
it's an empty statement.

Actually I've found it to be quite accurate.

loony wrote:
real life wrote:

Sure... anything but silence, the only way i think i can understand your POV is to hear it from your good self kind sir.

If you are so sure about your beliefs, so sure as doubt the scientific perspective, why not answer the question as fully as you can?
science if offering me a lot to buy junk or not, where as you are not offering anything so far.

Well, there's about 100 pages to this thread and I've been posting with fair consistency, so if you are wanting to know what I think that would be a good place to start.

Keep in mind that I've not claimed to know what processes were used to bring about the origin of the universe , the origin of life, etc

I don't have that kind of faith. That faith is more commonly found among the 'scientific types' such as the A2Ker who assured me that he had 'all the exact mechanics down' .

The naturalistic explanations of origins are IMHO quite unconvincing and inherently contradictory. More importantly , while claiming to be naturalistic , most of them slide over into a kind of supernaturalism anyway at one point or other.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 07:15 am
Diest TKO wrote:
RL is not known for stating opinions that can put him in the corner. He prefers to rest on the opinions and words of others rather than put anything intellectual on the line.

You'll beat him at cards all day, but since he'll never ante up, you won't make a dime.

T
K
O

I don't have a lot of detailed opinions.

I'm more apt to tell you what I don't know.

I can also point out what others don't know, even if they think they do.

How are ya this morning , Deist?
0 Replies

loony

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 10:17 am
real life wrote:
loony wrote:
real life wrote:
loony wrote:

How's that for a sermon?
it's an empty statement.

Actually I've found it to be quite accurate.

loony wrote:
real life wrote:

Well, there's about 100 pages to this thread and I've been posting with fair consistency, so if you are wanting to know what I think that would be a good place to start.

Keep in mind that I've not claimed to know what processes were used to bring about the origin of the universe , the origin of life, etc

I don't have that kind of faith. That faith is more commonly found among the 'scientific types' such as the A2Ker who assured me that he had 'all the exact mechanics down' .

The naturalistic explanations of origins are IMHO quite unconvincing and inherently contradictory. More importantly , while claiming to be naturalistic , most of them slide over into a kind of supernaturalism anyway at one point or other.

real life, you are so good at avoiding the question, you must be a politician.
in fact are you George w Bush?

i guess you are hoping i will give up. I have read all the 100 pages so far a couple of times and i still cannot see your direct answer to the question. yet you seem to claim to know a lot about the subject.

All it says to me, when you avoid, is that you actually know less than the people that in your eyes are wrong.

at least tell me the organisation you look to for your insight.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 11:15 am
loony,

I don't 'look to an organization'. The opinions I post are my own.

Not sure what answer you are looking for. I've said that I do not know the processes that were used when the universe originated, nor the processes that were used when life originated, etc

I don't even pretend to know.

I believe in a supernatural origin. The popularly known term is I'm a creationist.

I enjoy discussing origins with others who don't agree with me because it allows me to question my own assumptions while I question theirs.

I don't pretend to know more than others, although I've been accused of that. I don't even pretend to know a lot about the subject of origins. There are plenty of folks who know more than I do.

I'm here to have fun, learn a bit about how others think and have some more fun. Sorry if my posts occasionally seem to have a hard edge, I've noticed that its very difficult to convey light hearted sarcasm over the internet. I'm just a harmless little fuzzball.

Lastly, no I'm not Bush. Laughing

Don't know if that helps, but there ya go. I appreciate your courtesy. Cool
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 01:53 pm
So do I.

It makes a refreshing change.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 02:16 pm
real life wrote:
Diest TKO wrote:

T
K
O

I don't have a lot of detailed opinions.

I'm more apt to tell you what I don't know.

I can also point out what others don't know, even if they think they do.

How are ya this morning , Deist?

Well, being that every week I have to readjust my sleep clock by about 8 hours, I'm doing great this... er... afternoon. Ah the glory of rotating shift schedules. At least the pay is good.

T
K
O
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2008 09:14 pm
Real life, RE
Quote:
so tell us, how do YOU think dna came about?

The answer to that question can be found in my original post:

Quote:
"Darwin's algorithm for speciation assumes:

1. Adding time, Proceed to next step

2. Small random changes in living individuals (gradualism). Proceed to next step.

3. Selection of individuals by some "force" that only allows such changes that are not immediately deleterious to the individual to the point that those changes hamper its reproduction. (Darwin's "Natural" selection) Proceed to next step.

4. Preserve resulting changes in such a way that they may be available for future episodes of No. 2 and No.3. Proceed to step 1….

…But look closely, this algorithm also works for design itself whether such objects are molecules, amino acids, peptides, or even for such "irreducibly complex structures" like "eyes". "

Replace the word "individual" with "entity" or "structure" and my beliefs are explained. The dirty word Abiogenesis pops to mind. If I had to explain the origins of life, this, along with the available scientific evidence, is much more plausible. The religionist's alternative of supernatural "sky hooks" or Grecian Deus ex machinations as explanations are empty and abdicate humans' agency hard won with the evolution of their intelligence. Supernatural evidence seems hard to find, scientific evidence, although hard to get, is available and getting more plentiful by the day. That research, however, is an individual's responsibility, given they really have"inquiring minds".

Loony
0 Replies