Cartoon renaissance

Gargamel

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 01:18 pm
I'd like to give a shout out to the Muppet Babies, Shirt Tails, Jabber Jaw, Hair Bears, and Blue Falcon and Dog Wonder.

Also, this dude:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:4pFQrs70pgAJ::www.itusozluk.com/img.php/972c25baf378f34742647a58ee1f012d25315/gargamel
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 01:27 pm
@BlaiseDaley,
Drizzle, drazzle, druzzle, drone. Time for this one to come home.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 09:32 am
@boomerang,
Sorry, but I'm from the generation that were raised on real cartoons that had decent animation, with characters like the Woody Woodpecker, Porky Pig, Daffy Duck, Heckle and Jeckle, Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Mighty Mouse, etc, etc.

Nowadays, the fair seems pretty flat by comparison.
Reyn

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 09:08 am
@Reyn,
Well, I didn't mean to kill this thread! Shocked

Carry on.....
Reyn

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 08:55 pm
@Reyn,
I guess I did kill it. Sorry.....
boomerang

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:08 am
@Reyn,
You didn't kill it. I started it last July and it had been dead for a while before being revived.

I love most of the cartoons from the 60s and early 70s but I think animation got too expensive besides being incredibly time consuming to produce. Animation got really crappy for decades. Political correctness and "teaching moments" killed whatever was left of the fun.

These days I'll bet cartoons are cheaper to make than live shows and the quality of animation is great. Maybe because there are so many channels to choose from cartoons don't seem as worried about having warm, fuzzy lessons.

I really love the style of El Tigre:

http://frederatorblogs.com/talk_to_the_snail/files/2008/04/groupactionshotsm.thumbnail.jpg
sozobe

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:16 am
@boomerang,
Yeah... the style of "Flapjack" is really cool too.

It's super derivative of Spongebob in content though. (Flapjack = Spongebob, Captain K'nuckles = Mr. Krabs.)

Couldn't find a good picture -- it's the backgrounds that are really interesting (watercolory and made to look like cut-out collages, lots of dark elements...)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/Aaron123/AInews/CN_Es/Flapjack_004b_wl.jpg
0 Replies

barbara05

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 02:55 am
@ehBeth,
Hi,

Good post.My favourite cartoon is tom & jerry.I love to watch it anytime.
0 Replies

khadijah1213

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 09:01 am
I love Johnny Test, Chowder, The Misadventures of Flapjack, and Sponge Bob. Do you count anime as you favorite cartoons?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 01:23 am
Adult Swim is the Mecca for the Cartoon Renaissance!

The Boondocks;
Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law;
Metalocalypse;
Robot Chicken;
Sealab 2021;
The Venture Brothers....
0 Replies