Installing Wall Tiles

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 09:38 am
I'm re-doing my bathroom. I've installed new greenboard in the bath/shower alcove and intend to install wall tiles.
What is the best way to prepare these new greenboard walls prior to installing the tile?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,381 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:27 am
Welcome to Able2Know jgarrity! Hopefully one of the handyman types will be around to answer your question.

I'm no expert on the subject but that won't stop me:

I suspect the green paper is already treated for mold etc (I am not too familiar with American carpentry material) so you might just need to apply a few coats of Latex.
0 Replies

homebild

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 05:44 pm
If you plan to tile within the actual tub/shower area, then greenboard is not the product to use.

You must use a concrete board product that will not deteriorate when wet.

Greenboard is only acceptable if and when used outside the tub/shower area and where the tile will not be exposed to direct moisture.
0 Replies

Jezzy

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 12:28 am
Well homebild is correct on the cement board ... We have installed alot of tile onto green board though as well as cement board is a bit more expensive..

There is really no preparations before ... after the board is installed you apply your glue to the surface.. when applying the tiles to the wall you need to be careful to watch your lines it is very easy to get off and have your tile going in many different directions..

I would suggest that you pop several lines for markers with a chalkboax before y ou apply glue to the surface and do not glue over those lines ... this will give you a square area to work from ..

After applying the tile and grout .. let the grout dry for at least 24 hours and make sure you seal the grout .. this will help preserve the color and resist bacteria that causes mildew ...

Good luck
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2003 10:39 am
Jgarrity
Jgarrity, Blueboard, a water-resistant sheetrock, is commonly used in bathrooms. Blue paper covers it, giving it its name. The green board may cause future problems.

You may find the following helpful re installing the wall tile.

http://doityourself.com/ceramic/

BBB
0 Replies