The 500 (or more!) Secrets of Job Hunting

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:00 am
Robert Gentel wrote:
20 - But don't overdress. If you never wear a suit to work don't wear a suit to a job interview.

We are business casuel, but I expect people to interview in a suit. I'd always err on the side of overdressing (in most situations - depends on the industry - conservative industry like business/financial you are better off showing up in a suit)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:33 am
21. Have your resume done professionally at least once.

22. Apply to companies you like, especially small companies, even if they aren't advertising an opening. Then you're not competing with the zillion people spamming their resumes out.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:34 am
23. Print your resume and cover page on high-bond paper. Lightly colored or off-white can make it stand out from the stack.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:36 am
24. Cold call and network. Call a company, ask for HR or the hiring manager. Ask if they have any openings in X field. Ask if they know anyone who's hiring in X field. Ask if they know any other HR folks in town.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:08 am
25. Make your own business cards or have them professionally done if you like but have them! Hand 'em out when networking, when interviewing, when at job fairs, everywhere. Most people do not have 'em.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:45 pm
Linkat wrote:

We are business casuel, but I expect people to interview in a suit. I'd always err on the side of overdressing (in most situations - depends on the industry - conservative industry like business/financial you are better off showing up in a suit)

I guess I expect that you guys occasionally do use suits and therefore don't look out of place in suits. People like programmers, who will never wear a suit for their jobs shouldn't interview in suits.

26) Don't talk trash about your employer or prospective employers online. Almost all recruiters are doing internet searches and more than once I've seen candidates left out of consideration based on the negative things they said about their current employers or the companies they were interviewing with.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:51 pm
27) Don't talk trash about your last employers either even if the reason you quit was because they were scumbags. You don't know who knows who or who is related to who so best to just not talk trash about anybody at all.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 02:43 pm
28 - Always wear clean underwear.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 02:46 pm
29. Check your teeth for spinach...

(Shelley Berman)

30. I'll add that I've always gotten jobs when I've been relaxed at the interview - but then I've always gotten jobs, even in a tight market. So I'd put "Relax already" high on my list.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 03:25 pm
Mame wrote:

Hmm. While personal hygiene is of course essential--smell good and be clean including nails, ears, hair, and glasses (if any)--I don't believe I have ever been on or conducted an interview where underwear was an issue. Smile

29. No heavy perfume or colognes though.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 03:37 pm
We did have a hygiene situation at one of the labs I worked in. Ay yi yi. Must have had a scrub down for the interview day..

On dress, I think, and I know no one is arguing, that the field of employment matters. I was in on the hiring of a new senior tech in our research lab. In waltzed a young lady with a hippy dippy dress (this would have been around '72 or 73) and stapled shoes and hem. But she was swift and funny with a good resume to date and boss and I approved. She had a masters in chemistry and a painting MFA - and was reasonably well read in our field. She and husband and child lived in student housing, were scraping by. She turned out to be terrific, probably smarter than all the rest of us put together, very congenial and a hard worker with good ideas. We're still in contact decades later, she now a tenured prof at another university.

But yes, try to avoid wearing the stapled shoes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 04:27 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Mame wrote:

Hmm. While personal hygiene is of course essential--smell good and be clean including nails, ears, hair, and glasses (if any)--I don't believe I have ever been on or conducted an interview where underwear was an issue. Smile

Well, I dunno.....I was teaching yesterday, in a Catholic primary school, about helping with sexual behaviour problems in kids.

As I was doing so, I could feel my new tights slowly coming down, taking my undies with them.

I was also very aware that the skirt I was wearing was loose in the waist, and was also slowly travelling downwards.

I spent the last 45 minutes of the session holding onto my skirt, and hoping that, if the tights/undiers combo came down, I was wearing damn decent panties!

Now...in my field, one often has to write and present an ad hoc presentation at job interview...so I say one can never be too careful!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 04:38 pm
31. All things being equal, attractiveness matters. For men, this means trim your nose/ear/neck hair. Pluck the eyebrows. Clean under you fingernails. Make sure your clothes are not wrinkled. Shine your shoes. If you have a nice watch, wear it. If you have a crappy watch, leave it in the car. Pick a reasonably conservative tie. Shave. Get a haircut.

32. Do not wear clothes with slogans. Or jokes. In fact, if it has writing on it, then wear something else.
(This includes the "SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue <> 0 - Oops, 0 rows returned" shirt.)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 07:51 am
33. Lie.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 08:41 am
dadpad wrote:
33. Lie.

Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 08:46 am
I would think common sense.. but..
DONT bring anyone with you.
Arrive as if you are going to WORK right away
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 09:40 am
dadpad wrote:
33. Lie.

35) But do NOT misrepresent your credentials, education, or experience on your resume or on an application form, and do not seriously exaggerate your expertise or abilities. A lie could come back to bite you and even cost you your job and a sharp interviewer can spot a snow job a mile away. Reasonable confidence in one's ability, presenting experience to one's advantage, leaving out negatives, stressing that you learn quickly, are willing to learn and work hard, all are okay.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 11:42 am
#36. Don't monopolize or take over the interview.

Really bad form. I interviewed someone who just wouldn't or couldn't shut up. Needless to say, she did not get the job. To top it off, she was a know-it-all who had done everything.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 12:26 pm
37. Be willing to think outside the box when job hunting isn't going well.

38. Be willing to move back inside the box when job hunting isn't going well.

39. Do some volunteer work for political campaigns and charity organizations using the skills you want to market to employers. Someone will notice and word gets around about you.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 12:29 pm
40. Brush up on those stale skills you've not updated in awhile. Go to an industry conference or seminar, refresh skills at your city's local adult school.
0 Replies