What to do when you "accidentally" accepted a job offer and are waiting to hear from another job?

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 11:41 am
Let's say that ABCo was the first to offer me an interview and the second that actually interview me. They offered me the job on the spot. I was pretty hesitant at first being that it was a minimal wage job but is somewhat relevant to my field. I pushed my self to agree, fearful that it would be my only choice, and found myself signing a handful of documents, one being the written job offer. This was the first job offer since I graduated with BS in December and I haven't gotten a chance to see how the real working world is like. Needless to say I didn't know what it meant to sign a job offer (my past employment only included the dollar store and catering which I don't remember signing a job offer for).

Not too long after I get the offer, I receive a call from 123Co, the first people I interviewed with, for a chance of a second interview. I was really excited for this because it was for an bachelor's level job, paid more, came with benefits, was an easier commute, and seemed like a better learning opportunity. I believe the second interview went great. The guy mentioned that he had to get approval from the higher ups before he could do anything else and that he WILL get back to me. I left hopeful that I would be able to get the job.

However, I ignored the fact that I officially signed the job offer for ABCo. I learned today that they want to start orientation Monday. How wrong would it be to quit this job if I receive an offer from the preferred job?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 3,855 • Replies: 5
No top replies

centrox

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:45 pm
@pikapika12,
pikapika12 wrote:
How wrong would it be to quit this job if I receive an offer from the preferred job?

Not wrong at all, it's business. Just make sure the better job is real and likely to last.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:48 pm
@pikapika12,
Start the job you have accepted while you wait to hear what will happen with the other job.

You can quit any job, any time. If the other job is offered, you can quit and move on.

I've worked at places where people hated the work so much they didn't come back from coffee break/lunch. Just left. It didn't harm them. Some went back to their previous jobs, others found new jobs.
centrox

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:55 pm
Let's face it, in a lot of the US, your employer can let you go "at will", without giving a reason.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:57 pm
@ehBeth,
I had 2 jobs where we did all of the paperwork and everything was great. One job at the end of the shift I told them thanks, but it wasn't for me and the other I lasted an hour before I told my "boss" to shove the job where the shine had never shined.

There is no shame or permanent record that will follow you.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2017 01:03 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I've worked at places where people hated the work so much they didn't come back from coffee break/lunch.

I work in a legal/finance environment and we often employ temps (agency workers). We initially have them for 6 week engagements. One time we had two start on a Monday. One left at lunchtime, the other stayed the 6 weeks, got it renewed a few times, then we offered him a permanent job. He's been with us 7 years now and has been promoted twice.
0 Replies