The 500 (or more!) Secrets of Job Hunting

jespah

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:55 am
Here's what you do. Reveal a one or two sentence-long secret of job hunting, anything that works for you or has worked for you, and number it, in order. Don't worry if you repeat something that someone else has already written. That's okay; good ideas are bound to be shared by a lot of people.

Here's a chance to pass on some quick wisdom on what can be a very difficult and frustrating process.

#1. Use a resume tailored for every position you apply for, even if all you do is change the title on the resume to the title of the job you're applying for.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 5,830 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 10:13 am
#2 Tailor your resume specifically for the specific job. No sense emphasizing your chicken plucking skills when you're applying for an IT position but you don't want to leave that out if you're applying to be a Tyson supervisor.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 10:30 am
#3 Attend conferences and events. If you set your eyes on a company, find your potential future colleagues there and get to know them, get the inside scoop on working there. Having your name known to people when applying helps a lot.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 10:39 am
#4. Write a cover letter - no one seems to do this any more, but especially if your previous experience isn't directly related to the job you are applying for, you had a lasp between jobs, you had a career change or anything on your resume (or lack thereof) can be explained in a letter or you can point out strengths or experiences that are obvious on a resume.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 10:48 am
Be a good worker.
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 10:53 am
#5 If you put an e-mail address on your resume or cover letter, make sure it is something a potential employer would not find offensive. [email protected] may seem like a cute name to your online buds but is not professional and will cause a potential interviewer to wonder just what your life priorities are and may even prevent you from getting an interview in the first place.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:01 am
#6) Have some one else double check and proof read your resume. I have seen many resumes with spelling, typos and other errors. (especially if one of the job qualifications is to be detailed oriented).
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:46 am
7) Don't:

- list hobbies
- include pictures (common in some countries)
- give personal details (like age, marital status...)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:49 am
8)

Quit being such a stuffed shirt.
If you make someone feel good by making them laugh, relax or otherwise be able to be more down to earth they remember you.

People remember those who make them feel good.

Make them feel like they are in control.
Mirror their body language almost exactly... just be a little slower about it.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:56 am
9) - look at job ads in local newspaper
10) - knock on the door , ask for the job and be accepted

(of course , that was 52 years ago - and i was willing to work for starvation wage for three months - until others told me what they were being paid . they actually shoved me into the boss' office after they told me what their salary was - i asked for the raise and got it - after some grumbling . i'm still grateful to those three ladies who showed me how to ask for a raise : DON'T BE SHY !)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 12:08 pm
11) (building on 10): Open Houses are great....when companies do them, they almost always have a position or few open. It's non-threatening, it's more relaxed...in fact a friend of mine landed a great (and great paid) human resources position this way last week. Just chatting with the people there, following up with a CV, coming in for 2nd round of interviews few days after and voila. Job landed.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 12:11 pm
11) When interviewing, give specific examples (especially work experiences) supporting what you say. For example if you say you have experience leading a project - explain a specific instance where you lead a project; if you are detailed oriented - give an example at work when you display this talent.

Anyone can say they are this or that to fit the job, but if you support it with something you actually did accomplish, the interviewer will think jeepers this person really does fit the role, not just buttering me up
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 12:47 pm
(12) Avoid talking salary like the plague until after you've been offered a job. This way; instead of you bidding for a job, they are bidding for you. This negotiation should be done in person and you should take notes as you do it. Once you've nailed them to a figure; ask for more (benefits, vacation, car, anything you can think of). This is one time in your life that you can easily make thousands in about 15 minutes. Don't feel compelled to accept their first offer and don't be afraid to ask, "when do you need an answer by" if you're not happy with the offer (or even if you are and would just like some more). Most employers will respect an employee with a sense of self worth (and options) to the tune of thousands of dollars more than the guy who's giddy to get an offer at all. Ideally, you want to play a couple companies at the same time, to allow you the freedom to maximize your demands.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 01:59 pm
13) come to the interview prepared with your own questions - you gotta have some! That way you get to interview them as well. Remember you are a good a catch and want to make sure that the job and company is right for you as well.

I always went with my questions written out. That way at the end of the interview, I wouldn't forget anything. Shows that you are serious and want to make this a good fit for both of you.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 02:04 pm
14) Call a friend. The easiest and often best way to find a job is through existing connections with people who know you and/or have worked with you before. Especially in industries where it is hard to find good people.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 02:23 pm
#15 - learn about the company and industry you're applying in. It shows initiative and interest, and they'll be impressed that you took the time to investigate.

#16 - don't say anything negative; try to put a positive spin on everything. If they ask you what your weaknesses are, for example, you could say, "I could work on being more prompt in my inter-office email responses" rather than "I'm often late with ....".

and

#17 - Don't ask about benefits, vacations, and sick policy in the first interview!
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 02:39 pm
#18 Prepare your "Two-Minute Drill". Write out a short summary stating
why they should hire you, including all the best items in your resume.
Make it short enough to say in two minutes and practice saying it to
someone. It puts your strong points right out there and prompts the
interviwer to ask more about them.

When I am interviewing someone, I sometimes lead off with "OK, you've
two minutes. Tell me why I should hire you."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 02:48 pm
#19 - Dress for success for your interview. Clean pressed clothes and decent shoes appropriate for the setting in the job for which you are applying. No baggy jeans, "I am bad" T-shirts, flip flops, ball caps worn sideways. . . . .
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 03:13 pm
20 - But don't overdress. If you never wear a suit to work don't wear a suit to a job interview.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 03:19 pm
(Personal aside, I once interviewed a young lady who arrived for her interview in a T-shirt that said "In case of rape, this side up". I kid you not. She didn't get the job. Smile)
0 Replies