Need EASY, AWESOME recipes for 125 people !!

Wy

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 01:50 pm
Pullled pork is "pulled" apart with two forks, as opposed to being chopped into little pieces or sliced and shredded.

Pork shoulder roasts are on sale at my Safeway for less than a dolllar a pound right now -- I'm gonna stick one in a crockpot overnight and pull it apart in the morning. Frozen in single-serving units, it goes to work with a bun and becomes a yummy homemade sammich!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 02:33 pm
That's one of the best things about pulled pork - one of the easiest, best-tasting meals you can make and it's so darn affordable (and people tend to rave about all the work you must have done)
0 Replies

chun chun

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 10:34 pm
ehBeth, thanks for the birthday wishes!.....I agree that pulled pork should definitely be highlighted on the buffet table! The cucumber salad recipe, without a doubt, IS of German origin, and I'm really glad to hear that there are others who continue to make it (without tweaking it) the way it was intended to be! Why would anyone want to mess with perfection??? Too often families lose an important part of their history by changing some of the recipes a little too much.....I collect cook books, and I must admit that my favorites are always the ones copyrighted back in the 1800's! .....So many old recipes fall by the wayside, never to be used or read again....Some of them are ones I choose to try first! Then, there ARE some that SHOULD be left by the wayside for one reason or another!....Now, that brings me to the classic "green bean" sludge! That horrible gray mass with crunchy stuff on top....sorry, I just can't do it! Perhaps some FRESH green beans, yellow wax beans, and some diced roasted red peppers mixed in a small amount of white sauce (so as not to mask the fresh flavors of the veggies) that was a combination of cream cheese and heavy cream, a sprinkle of course ground black pepper, crumblings of croutons and crispy bacon and some grated lemon zest to brighten it!! ......I just came up with that, I've never tried it, but I think I WILL!!!

mckenzie, I hadn't thought too much about baked beans, but you're absolutely right! ....AND, not only are then low cost, you can do soooo many things to them!....GREAT idea!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:32 am
Turns out that frozen green beans work best - not fresh - for the green bean casserole. Tester after tester comments on it. The other thing that apparently doesn't work is frenched green beans. I've got no idea why, but it's another thing that the test kitchen and innumerable bloggers comment on.
0 Replies