2d Amendment case: DC v. Heller

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 06:20 am
Jeerleader wrote:
I think you are being disingenuous now . . . Isn't that "proposition" you mention Miller's holding?

You know enough of my position to claim that I'm being disingenuous?

Jeerleader wrote:
From where else does the Miller Court draw their reasoning from? Only the government briefed the Court (and in it citing Aymette at 158), no amicus were filed . . .

First of all, nobody really knows how McReynolds came up with his opinion in Miller. He didn't leave any comment or reminiscence regarding the case, and no other justice wrote an opinion, either concurring or dissenting. McReynolds, in any event, was something of a judicial cipher -- not a very good jurist and a truly reprehensible person. He probably got the assignment in the case because it was a non-controversial, "easy" decision.

Second of all, it doesn't matter whether the case was fully briefed or not (although Scalia thought it was important enough to mention in his Miller opinion). The opinion is what it is -- it is neither better nor worse for the fact that only one side briefed the appeal.

Jeerleader wrote:
And I find the Court's inclusion of "common defence" telling; that term is not found in the 2nd, in fact its inclusion was specifically struck from [what would be] the 2nd. It is central in the Aymette exposition though.

Actually, the central holding of Miller is the previous sentence:
    In the absence of any evidence tending to show that possession or use of a 'shotgun having a barrel of less than eighteen inches in length' at this time has some reasonable relationship to the preservation or efficiency of a well regulated militia, we cannot say that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep and bear such an instrument.
Just because Scalia ignored this holding doesn't mean that we should.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2008 07:57 am
Jeerleader wrote:
I would think that this would be the infancy of the "Arms for Militia" movement (there seems to have been an earlier bill introduced but it apparently did not move) and it seems to be a contentious issue and quite a departure to what was NOP, the citizens just arming themselves.

Congress does not seem to be debating this because they felt they were the only entity constitutionally empowered to arm the militia under either Art I § 8 powers or your interpretation of the 2nd . . .

You're indulging strawmen. I did not state that Congress felt that they were the only entity constitutionally empowered to arm the militia. I made no argument from an interpretation of the second amendment which stated or implied that Congress is the only entity which was constitutionally empowered to arm the militia.

If you wish to argue those points, perhaps you should first find someone who is making such an argument. My point in responding to Brandon is, as i stated more than once, that nowhere in the constitution, neither in Article One, Section Eight, nor in the Second Amendment, is there an explicit statement nor an implied statement to the effect that members of the militia are required to arm themselves.

Saying that the constitution does not require citizens to arm themselves does not constitute a statement that Congress is the sole entity empowered to arm the militia. It is simply an observation to the effect that Brandon's argument from a contention that the members of the militia are required to arm themselves is false.

As for your reference to the Congressional record for 1798, and Fishin's remarks concerning the 1792 militia act, those provide good inferential evidence that Congress considered that it had the power to decide those matters. So long as the courts do not rule that the Congress violates the constitution, the Congress giveth and the Congress taketh away. If the Congress can require members of the militia to provide themselves with arms, they can equally well revoke that requirement, and implement a different policy.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 10:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
Jeerleader wrote:
I would think that this would be the infancy of the "Arms for Militia" movement (there seems to have been an earlier bill introduced but it apparently did not move) and it seems to be a contentious issue and quite a departure to what was NOP, the citizens just arming themselves.

Congress does not seem to be debating this because they felt they were the only entity constitutionally empowered to arm the militia under either Art I § 8 powers or your interpretation of the 2nd . . .

You're indulging strawmen. I did not state that Congress felt that they were the only entity constitutionally empowered to arm the militia. I made no argument from an interpretation of the second amendment which stated or implied that Congress is the only entity which was constitutionally empowered to arm the militia.

If you wish to argue those points, perhaps you should first find someone who is making such an argument. My point in responding to Brandon is, as i stated more than once, that nowhere in the constitution, neither in Article One, Section Eight, nor in the Second Amendment, is there an explicit statement nor an implied statement to the effect that members of the militia are required to arm themselves.

Saying that the constitution does not require citizens to arm themselves does not constitute a statement that Congress is the sole entity empowered to arm the militia. It is simply an observation to the effect that Brandon's argument from a contention that the members of the militia are required to arm themselves is false.

As for your reference to the Congressional record for 1798, and Fishin's remarks concerning the 1792 militia act, those provide good inferential evidence that Congress considered that it had the power to decide those matters. So long as the courts do not rule that the Congress violates the constitution, the Congress giveth and the Congress taketh away. If the Congress can require members of the militia to provide themselves with arms, they can equally well revoke that requirement, and implement a different policy.

Just to make a little correction, I didn't intend to say that the members of members of militias are required to arm themselves. It was my intention only to express the opinion that the first phrase of the amendment isn't a limitation on the second.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 04:50 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Jeerleader wrote:

Just to make a little correction, I didn't intend to say that the members of members of militias are required to arm themselves. It was my intention only to express the opinion that the first phrase of the amendment isn't a limitation on the second.

Thanks, Brandon ... er, I mean Jeerleader.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 11:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Some preliminary thoughts on the supreme court's recent decision in District of Columbia v. Heller (.pdf), which marks the first time the court has held that the second amendment guarantees an individual right to bear arms.

While Miller constrained the right to those cases where the gun's ownership was beneficial to the militia, they did not say it wasn't an individual right.

I think the Ninth Circuit held it wasn't an individual right in Hickman v Block, but that ruling went a lot further than Miller did.

joefromchicago wrote:
Scalia, in his majority opinion, explains that the second amendment can be divided into a prefatory clause ("A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State...") and an operative clause ("...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"). Although Scalia admits "[l]ogic demands that there be a link between the stated purpose and the command," that link need only be explanatory. In other words, the prefatory clause clarifies any ambiguity in the operative clause, but it does not limit the right granted in the operative clause. Indeed, the right can go well beyond the prefatory clause.

I've always read the first and second halves as entirely independent from each other, with the first half being a requirement that the government have a militia on hand, and the second half ensuring the militia was well-armed.

joefromchicago wrote:
Scalia also writes (p. 8):
    Some have made the argument, bordering on the frivolous, that only those arms in existence in the 18th century are protected by the Second Amendment. [b]We do not interpret constitutional rights that way[/b]. Just as the First Amendment protects modern forms of communications, e.g., Reno v. American Civil Liberties Union, 521 U. S. 844, 849 (1997), and the Fourth Amendment applies to modern forms of search, e.g., Kyllo v. United States, 533 U. S. 27, 35-36 (2001), the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding.
(emphasis added) I'm glad Scalia finally recognizes that the constitution is a "living" document.

Letting the intent of the Framers apply to modern technology isn't quite what I'd call "living document" ideology.

I've always seen "living document" ideology as allowing any interpretation regardless of what the original writers intended.
oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 11:52 pm
@fishin,
fishin wrote:
parados wrote:
No doubt this is going to lead a ton of litigation about what constitutes common weapon. What might be "common" if it wasn't already restricted?

I doubt there will be a "ton" of litigation. I suspect a few small cases and things will sort themselves out fairly quickly.

There are going to have to be a few big cases.

First up is Fourteenth Amendment incorporation.

Then we need to expand the parameters of the right to clarify that assault weapons and armor-piercing ammo and the like are protected by the Second Amendment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 03:39 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
Despite Scalia's extensive historical research, he seems to have missed something potentially important. Regarding the scope of US v. Miller, he states:
    We therefore read Miller to say only that the Second Amendment does not protect those weapons not typically possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes, such as short-barreled shotguns. ... [i]Miller[/i] said, as we have explained, that the sorts of weapons protected were those "in common use at the time." 307 U. S., at 179. We think that limitation is fairly supported by the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of "dangerous and unusual weapons."
There's just one problem with this analysis: Miller upheld a federal law prohibiting the possession of sawed-off shotguns, yet such weapons (or their equivalents) were "in common use at the time" of the adoption of the second amendment. A blunderbuss, for instance, "is a muzzle-loading firearm with a flared, trumpet-like barrel which discharges lead shot upon firing. It is a kind of fowling piece or shotgun." Like a sawed-off shotgun, it has a barrel shorter than that of a rifle and is meant to be fired from the hip rather than from the shoulder. And it was even used by soldiers in the American War of Independence.
    General George Washington wrote to the Board of War on April 4, 1779, stating: "It appears to me that Light Blunderbusses on account of the quantity of shot they will carry, will be preferable to Carbines, for Dragoons, as the Carbines only carry a single ball especially in case of close action."
So if Miller truly stood for what Scalia now says it stood for, then the decision should have gone the other way. The supreme court should have found in favor of Miller, because he was carrying around a type of weapon that would have been in common use at the time of the second amendment's adoption. Indeed, he was carrying around a type of weapon that probably would have been used by the military at that time.

Not only that, but short-barreled shotguns are pretty useful for home defense. Decent stopping power, wide shot spread to hit the target better, low penetration (with birdshot) in case you miss. The only downsides are the lack of armor penetration and low ammo capacity.

I can agree that Scalia's ruling does not exactly uphold the intent of the Second Amendment. However, the right to carry a gun for self defense was part of English Common Law, and that would have been covered by the Ninth Amendment, so Scalia is protecting an actual constitutional right here. He is just wrongly ascribing that right to the Second Amendment when he should place it in the Ninth. (Unless perhaps it emanates from the Second Amendment's penumbra.)

And when it comes to enforcing the true intent of the Second Amendment, both the right and the left do a pretty good job of ignoring what it really means.

It is well enough for the left to say that the right is only militia related. But one part of that position is having the government set up an actual militia that people can join if they want. The left always seems to forget that part. I've never heard anyone (other than me) suggest that the government actually set up a militia system so they will be in compliance with the Second Amendment.

If I had to choose between "Scalia taking the Ninth Amendment right to have a self-defense gun and wrongly ascribing it to the Second Amendment" and "the left saying the Second Amendment is militia related, but never setting up a militia for people to join" I think I prefer Scalia's version.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:43 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
While Miller constrained the right to those cases where the gun's ownership was beneficial to the militia, they did not say it wasn't an individual right.

So?

oralloy wrote:
I've always read the first and second halves as entirely independent from each other, with the first half being a requirement that the government have a militia on hand, and the second half ensuring the militia was well-armed.

Even Scalia believes that the two clauses are linked.

oralloy wrote:
Letting the intent of the Framers apply to modern technology isn't quite what I'd call "living document" ideology.

I've always seen "living document" ideology as allowing any interpretation regardless of what the original writers intended.

Yeah, that's what a lot of conservatives think, but that's a strawman definition.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:51 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
However, the right to carry a gun for self defense was part of English Common Law, and that would have been covered by the Ninth Amendment, so Scalia is protecting an actual constitutional right here.

I'm not so sure that the right to carry a firearm was part of the English common law. The English Bill of Rights declares: "That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law." That's a pretty weak right, if it's a right at all. Presumably, Parliament could have just passed a law saying that no arms were allowed, and that would have been consistent with the "right" protected by the Bill of Rights.
Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:00 am
@joefromchicago,
In addition to your reference to Protestants, social class distinctions seem to have governed the right to bear arms. Blackstone, in his Commentaries on the Laws of England writes:

Quote:
The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defence, suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law. Which is also declared by the same statute I W. & M. st.2. c.2. and is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression. (emphasis added)

Note the bold-faced portion, which refers to the type of arms to be borne being suitable to a person's condition and degree. He mentions due restrictions, too, and cites a statute in the reign of William and Mary. Statutes of William and Mary refer to the joint monarchy from 1685 to Mary's death in 1694. This was well after the civil wars, and as such, the continuity of laws enacted by Parliament governing the right to bear arms can hardly be called into question--despite the continuance of more or less personal government from Charles II onward, only Parliament had the right to legislate, and no monarch after 1660 could rule by fiat.

Obviously, English common law is a poor source for any contention about a universal right to keep and bear arms.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:57 am
Just to correct a small error in my post: William and Mary were joint monarchs from 1688 until Mary's death in 1694.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 11:18 am
Once again... The major problem which many if not most people living in cities have with guns is gang-banging, and that is basically a drug problem and not a gun problem. Eliminate the insane "war on drugs", and the gang-bangers will be too busy working honest jobs to gang bang.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:26 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:
However, the right to carry a gun for self defense was part of English Common Law, and that would have been covered by the Ninth Amendment, so Scalia is protecting an actual constitutional right here.

I'm not so sure that the right to carry a firearm was part of the English common law. The English Bill of Rights declares: "That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law." That's a pretty weak right, if it's a right at all. Presumably, Parliament could have just passed a law saying that no arms were allowed, and that would have been consistent with the "right" protected by the Bill of Rights.

I'm not looking to the text of the English Bill of Rights for the self-defense-related right. I see that text as stating the militia-related right -- what later became the core of the Second Amendment.

I'm getting the self-defense right from case law from the time.

Note this excerpt from pages 8 & 9 of a Heller amicus:

Quote:
Following the adoption of the English Bill of Rights, a series of English cases helped define the right to arms enjoyed by English subjects. These cases held that the Game Acts did "not extend to prohibit a man from keeping a gun for his necessary defence"26; "the mere having a gun was no offense . . . for a man may keep a gun for the defense of his house and family . . ."27; and "a gun may be kept for the defense of a man’s house."28 The individual nature of the right to arms protected by the English Bill of Rights was affirmed by the Recorder of London29 in a legal opinion which specifically provided that one of the rights protected thereby was individual self-defense.30 Finally, a common contemporary jury instruction on the meaning of the right to arms in the English Bill of Rights stated in part: "A man has a clear right to arms to protect himself in his house. A man has a clear right to protect himself when he is going singly or in a small party upon the road where he is traveling or going for the ordinary purposes of business."31

26 Rex v. Gardner, 87 Eng. Rep. 1240, 1241 (K.B. 1739).

27 Mallock v. Eastley, 87 Eng. Rep. 1370, 1374 (K.B. 1744).

28 Wingfield v. Stratford, 96 Eng. Rep. 787 (K.B. 1752); accord, The King v. Thompson, 100 Eng. Rep. 10, 12 (K.B. 1787) (it is "not an offence to keep or use a gun"), and Rex v. Hartley, II Chitty 1178, 1183 (1782) ("a gun may be used for other purposes, as the protection of a man's house.").

29 A position roughly equivalent to the chief justice and general counsel of the City. See JOWITT'S DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH LAW 1510 (2d ed. 1977).

30 "Legality of the London Military Foot-Association" (July 24, 1780), reprinted in William Blizard, Desultory Reflections on Police: With an Essay on the Means of Preventing Crimes and Amending Criminals 59-63 (London 1785). " The lawful purposes, for which arms may be used, (besides immediate self-defence,) ..."

31 I REPORTS OF STATE TRIALS (New Series) 601-02(1970).

http://www.gurapossessky.com/news/parker/documents/07290bsacinternationalscholarsreprint.pdf

(Disclaimer: While I'm not responsible for any of the outstanding legal arguments in that amicus, I did help proofread it for spelling errors and helped with the firearms glossary. I'm not sure if that amounts to much of a contribution, but if I cite something I'm connected to, I guess I should mention it.)
Thomas

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:33 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
I'm not looking to the text of the English Bill of Rights for the self-defense-related right. I see that text as stating the militia-related right -- what later became the core of the Second Amendment.

Since you made a point about the English common law, and aren't looking to the English Bill of Rights for its source -- which statutes and precedents of English common law are you referring to as the source of the right?
oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:12 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:

So?

I'd count Miller as being the first time the Supreme Court held that the Second Amendment was an individual right.

joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Even Scalia believes that the two clauses are linked.

Well, I respect Scalia immensely, but I'm pretty sure he is wrong there.

If you look at earlier drafts of the Second Amendment, it seems pretty clear that they were lumping different ideas together into the same text.

From the amendments proposed by the Virginia Ratifying Convention:
Quote:
Seventeenth, That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well regulated Militia composed of the body of the people trained to arms is the proper, natural and safe defence of a free State. That standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, and therefore ought to be avoided, as far as the circumstances and protection of the Community will admit; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to and governed by the Civil power.

Nineteenth, That any person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms ought to be exempted upon payment of an equivalent to employ another to bear arms in his stead.

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/ratva.asp

The text after James Madison boiled the proposed amendments down into more concise texts and before Congress removed the part on religious exemptions:
Quote:
The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country: but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person.

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/documents/bill_of_rightss11.html

(the part where he proposed the amendments is sort of buried in the middle of the debate)
oralloy

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:17 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Since you made a point about the English common law, and aren't looking to the English Bill of Rights for its source -- which statutes and precedents of English common law are you referring to as the source of the right?

I'm relying on the precedents referred to in this excerpt here:

Quote:
Following the adoption of the English Bill of Rights, a series of English cases helped define the right to arms enjoyed by English subjects. These cases held that the Game Acts did "not extend to prohibit a man from keeping a gun for his necessary defence"26; "the mere having a gun was no offense . . . for a man may keep a gun for the defense of his house and family . . ."27; and "a gun may be kept for the defense of a man’s house."28 The individual nature of the right to arms protected by the English Bill of Rights was affirmed by the Recorder of London29 in a legal opinion which specifically provided that one of the rights protected thereby was individual self-defense.30 Finally, a common contemporary jury instruction on the meaning of the right to arms in the English Bill of Rights stated in part: "A man has a clear right to arms to protect himself in his house. A man has a clear right to protect himself when he is going singly or in a small party upon the road where he is traveling or going for the ordinary purposes of business."31

26 Rex v. Gardner, 87 Eng. Rep. 1240, 1241 (K.B. 1739).

27 Mallock v. Eastley, 87 Eng. Rep. 1370, 1374 (K.B. 1744).

28 Wingfield v. Stratford, 96 Eng. Rep. 787 (K.B. 1752); accord, The King v. Thompson, 100 Eng. Rep. 10, 12 (K.B. 1787) (it is "not an offence to keep or use a gun"), and Rex v. Hartley, II Chitty 1178, 1183 (1782) ("a gun may be used for other purposes, as the protection of a man's house.").

29 A position roughly equivalent to the chief justice and general counsel of the City. See JOWITT'S DICTIONARY OF ENGLISH LAW 1510 (2d ed. 1977).

30 "Legality of the London Military Foot-Association" (July 24, 1780), reprinted in William Blizard, Desultory Reflections on Police: With an Essay on the Means of Preventing Crimes and Amending Criminals 59-63 (London 1785). " The lawful purposes, for which arms may be used, (besides immediate self-defence,) ..."

31 I REPORTS OF STATE TRIALS (New Series) 601-02(1970).

http://www.gurapossessky.com/news/parker/documents/07290bsacinternationalscholarsreprint.pdf
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:27 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Quote:
Following the adoption of the English Bill of Rights...

Uh, you do see the problem here, don't you? You claim that you're not relying on the English Bill of Rights, it's just that the source that you're relying on is relying on the English Bill of Rights.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:31 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:

So?

I'd count Miller as being the first time the Supreme Court held that the Second Amendment was an individual right.

Because the court didn't say that it wasn't an individual right? You're kidding, right?

oralloy wrote:
Well, I respect Scalia immensely, but I'm pretty sure he is wrong there.

I agree that Scalia's wrong, although probably not for the same reasons.

oralloy wrote:
If you look at earlier drafts of the Second Amendment, it seems pretty clear that they were lumping different ideas together into the same text.

The 2d amendment says what it says, and the text must be the beginning of any interpretation of that text. First drafts don't count.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:33 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Quote:
Following the adoption of the English Bill of Rights...

Uh, you do see the problem here, don't you? You claim that you're not relying on the English Bill of Rights, it's just that the source that you're relying on is relying on the English Bill of Rights.

Yes, but I'm not citing the article for its conclusions, but rather as a reputable source to show that those court decisions exist. I don't know of any other way of citing those decisions.

The problem I have with treating this as one unified right is that it leads to people either saying "it protects guns for self defense but not for the militia" or "it protects guns for the militia but not for self defense".

I think both are important.
oralloy

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 12:32 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:

So?

Because the court didn't say that it wasn't an individual right? You're kidding, right?

Usually when courts say the Second Amendment isn't an individual right, they argue that the individual in question has no standing to make any claim based on the Second Amendment. They say that only state governments have such standing (or maybe a weapons procurement officer in a state militia).

The Supreme Court in Miller didn't address the question of whether Miller as an individual had any standing, but instead considered whether this was the type of weapon that Miller had the right to have.

The core of their ruling was that if Miller's possession of the gun was beneficial to the militia, then Miller, an individual, had the right to have it.

I wouldn't consider that reading to be a very broad individual right, but I would still count it as an individual right.

joefromchicago wrote:
oralloy wrote:

The 2d amendment says what it says, and the text must be the beginning of any interpretation of that text. First drafts don't count.

I agree with complying with the text of the amendment, but it is also important to follow the intent behind that text, and looking at earlier drafts can give clues as to what the intent was.

In most cases, if you get a handle on what the original intent was, that also ends up in line with what the text says.