Sunset of Darwinism

spendius

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 03:22 pm
The mercenaries released him from the slave's prison. They had captured him at sea with a consignment of women. After a period of trepidation-

Quote:
At last he seized a brimming cantharus by its rings, raised it straight up into the air with his outstretched arms, from which his chains hung down, and then looking to heaven, and still holding the cup he said:

"Hail first to thee, Baal-Eschmoun, the deliverer, whom the people of my country call Aesculapius! and to you, genii of the fountains, light, and woods! and to you, ye gods hidden beneath the mountains and in the caverns of the earth! and to you, strong men in shining armour who have set me free!"

That is how he was introduced to the world by Gustave Flaubert.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 03:30 pm
I'm perplexed. How can you sit on your ass getting soused in a bar all day (per the guys here on a2k), and have truck with such as that?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:14 pm
I like a good laugh Ed.

Rabelais reckoned it was good for you and he never put a foot wrong.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:37 pm
Too bad you ain't an atheist.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:56 pm
Don't tempt me Ed. I can do atheist with no frills.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 05:59 pm
Then you could stand up to your circle of friends and confront them with surety and boldness.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 07:02 pm
looks like gunga has gone back into his lair. HEs probably searching for clips of more baseless assertions by irrelevant "scientists"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 07:35 pm
gunga go make fire. Cook chicken dinosaur nuggets.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 11:29 am
We have to be patient with these anachronistic literalists. After all, in 1992 the Catholic Church finally admitted it was wrong for condemming Galileo 359 years earlier in 1633.

"The Origin of Species" was published in 1859, only 148 years ago. Give them another 200 years or so to admit that science isn't such a bad thing after all. Reactionary fundamentalists seem to be stuck on the dark- ages credo, "knowledge comes from belief." They need to grow up.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 12:44 pm
Very good coluber. It's amazing what one might learn on A2K.

I've never heard of anybody needing to grow up before though. I always think of it as a cross we must bear rather than as something we need.

They should be admired and envied for avoiding it.

What do you think is the scientific explanation of lingerie shops which not only exist but force our attention in their direction with a facilty Darwin or Galileo didn't get around to explaining.
0 Replies

Shirakawasuna

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 01:14 pm
I like the thought process that has to go into taking these sites at face value. Think of the desperation necessary to accept an argument from authority based on a couple random writers to the exclusion of the huge majority of experts and people nicely explaining things to you. I'm fairly sure gungasnake isn't so ignorant that they don't know that there are other sources of information out there, ones written by people who have actual academic integrity.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:35 pm
spendi
Quote:
What do you think is the scientific explanation of lingerie shops which not only exist but force our attention in their direction with a facilty Darwin or Galileo didn't get around to explaining.

Did you ever notice, that wherever our conversation wend, spendi is always there to bring up his obsession with lingerie? I spndi a lumberjacK? is he ok?.

I do know that he sleeps all night and drinks all day.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:56 pm
I never drink before 22.40 hours ever. I accept that the magical substances course through my veins all day long with a decreasing intensity.

When my mate Vic had his 8hr quad by-pass op he woke up in an intense depression. The senior nurse told him that everybody who goes out boozing every night always woke up depressed due to the five pints of pure alcohol free blood they had been given whilst they were out.

It seems to me that for 7 nights a week boozers who have to undergo the procedure they should add some John Smith's Extra Smooth to the transfusions to keep the patient on an even keel.

Of course I'm obsessed with lingerie. Any scientist would be. Things inexplicable are what drive scientists forward.

I think it is something to do with understatement.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:04 pm
spendi a tranny?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:30 pm
I've never tried it fm because I have a beard and it looks so ridiculous with a beard that my dignity prevents me from indulging. I often wonder where the blokes who shave closely are on the nights they don't show up in the pub.

It's a matter of priorities. A tranny I know told me how delicious it felt wearing silken flimsies and that I was a coward for not giving it a go but what can you do with a beard?

It would look like you were taking the piss out of ladies garments and I would never dream of doing anything so crass and boorish as that.

And the gear costs a fortune. Do you know what a pair of 8 inch heels rhinestone shoes cost with a hole for the big toe.

Don't bother checking. It's ridiculous.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:52 pm
Ill take your informed word on it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:08 pm
They advertise them in those newspapers that support the Liberal Democrat Party. They used to I mean before I gave up taking newspapers seriously.

Do you not wonder about unusual things?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:22 am
raprap wrote:
Setanta wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
I hate to admit it, but for some reason, I love GungaThreads.

Yeah, but it's like watching a Sylvester Stallone movie--you know it's absolute shite, you know a cardboard cutout has a better chance of being a competent actor, you know he's as phony as a three dollar bill. But it's like staring at a train wreck . . . there's this horrid fascination . . .

I'll agree with the assessment of Stallone 95% of the time, but there is that 5%, after all, Get Carter and Copland has not a Rocky Balboa or a John Ranbo cutout to be seen.

As for Gunja--I've seen no sign of that 5%--considering the occupant of the past eight years that signature line is conformation of a misguided obsession.

Rap

Stallone has had more success as an actor than most of his critics.

Nobody pays Setanta to watch him act like he knows what he's talking about.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:06 pm
I see that a new fossil from the late Permian was found in China. It was a turtle with teeth and a novel scutum development. THis turtle had its shell mostly on the bottom, thus rather convincingly evidencing a marine origin. Turtles, like birds , all show connections to their toothed reptile ancestors.
The "gap" in turtle evolution was a major concern in how the whole clade evolved. Looks like it has an origin that goes back to at least the Carboniferous
spendius

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 04:31 pm
@farmerman,
A turtle with its shell mostly on the bottom! That must have been a bit awkward I should have thought.

How did that evolve?
0 Replies