The purpose of life

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:53 am
- Survive
- Reproduce
- Adapt

Now that you have all the answers, please remit payment as required.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,704 • Replies: 43
No top replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 09:01 pm
The point of life for me is very different mi amigo.

it is to become absolutely perfect in every action i do, in every word i speak. to become as "god" "is", or to some what he "would be" or "should be"

TO defeat impossible odds, to win the unwinnable, to survive the unsurvivable. to keep going even after defeat is inevitable. to take nothing and make everything.

the point of life is to fight. the point of life is to love.

i fear not pain, and care not for pleasure, all that matters is perfection. all that matters is balance.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 09:41 pm
-Food
-Sex
-Sleep
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 04:54 am
To get stuff. He who dies with the most wins. In an old western movie, a comedian, portraying a native American red man Indian, when asked the reason for his success, said, "Me learn from white man: Take all you can, any time you can get it." It's so true. Look at Sam Walton; then look at your common bum lying in the gutter, passed out from an excess of port wine. The former definitely won, as did the wino. Each has plenty of stuff - One, in the form of material goods, the latter in the form of cheap elixir. Each has all the stuff they ever dreamed of having.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:04 am
Re: The purpose of life
Chumly wrote:
- Survive
- Reproduce
- Adapt

Now that you have all the answers, please remit payment as required.

But does this constitute "purpose"?
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 12:45 pm
The answer to your question George is yes. The "purpose" of life is to:
Survive
Reproduce
Adapt

But you asked the question, presumably because you did not think it did constitute purpose, so if it does not?
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 01:47 pm
existential potential wrote:
The answer to your question George is yes. The "purpose" of life is to:
Survive
Reproduce
Adapt

But you asked the question, presumably because you did not think it did constitute purpose, so if it does not?

Well, I can't say I've thought this all the way through, but no, I don't think
so. Seems to me that the purpose of survival, reproduction, and
adaptation is the continuity of life. Somehow, it just doesn't make sense
to me the other way around.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 08:09 pm
To me, each event, sensation, action, function, etc., is its own point. In other words, life is its own purpose. Each thing might have larger implications, like the perpetuation of the species, but to me that's not relevant.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 09:10 pm
There is no purpose. Life happens. Just grab a passing day and go for a ride.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:11 pm
What gus said; there is no "purpose." We didn't volunteer to come here.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 11:04 pm
It may not have sounded like it, but my point was virtually the same as Gus'. That guy's SO brilliant.
0 Replies

hanno

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 01:04 am
Entropy.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2008 01:39 am
Whatever I want it to be...and survive & reproduce...well come to think of it, I don't really need to reproduce, there's enough of us out there. Same with survival...so I'll go with 'whatever I want it to be'
0 Replies

PONKOM

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 08:26 pm
The purpose of life is to live and live forever.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:54 am
Why do we insist on answering such silly questions?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:58 am
It's silly to some, because they've made sure their lives has purpose.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:09 am
There are two kinds of answer to this sort of question.

There's the answer you want and the answer you get, that is the answer we all know, that the purpose of life is to keep living. Life just drives itself forward, not to any particular goal, other than more life. The answer we want is that something extra we give our lives, each of us individually, to make our lives more than what they are.
I think that only some sort of God can give life a purpose over an above the self contained purpose of life, which is to survive.

You may have guessed but I do not believe in God.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:13 am
existential potential wrote:
There are two kinds of answer to this sort of question.

There's the answer you want and the answer you get, that is the answer we all know, that the purpose of life is to keep living. Life just drives itself forward, not to any particular goal, other than more life. The answer we want is that something extra we give our lives, each of us individually, to make our lives more than what they are.
I think that only some sort of God can give life a purpose over an above the self contained purpose of life, which is to survive.

You may have guessed but I do not believe in God.

I also do not believe in any god; my purpose in life is trying to enjoy it in good health.
0 Replies

existential potential

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 01:41 pm
Good for you.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:19 pm
Hmm... It seems to me that we determine the purpose of any given thing by the end result of it's activity. The function of a thing is usually it's purpose. A hammer, for instance.

But life... What is the end result of life?
If we ask for the purpose of life we reveal that we see life as a means to something, not as an end in itself. At least in the context of the question. And that something is the purpose.
Now, are we doing what we sould be doing?

Personally I do not think we are able to defy the purpose of our existence, because we are only empowered to fulfill our purpose whatever it may be. If we can do it, we are meant to. If not, not.

But life gives us purpose. The attempt to make sense of all we experience is the thing that prompts the question...
0 Replies