Sheet Vinyl

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:16 pm
My apartment needs a new kitchen floor. As I don't know how long I will be here I was wondering if it would be O.K. to install sheet vinyl over 2 layers of vinyl squares (the stick on ones). The floor has a few spots that would need leveling compound but other than that it is pretty good. I know it would probably be ideal to remove the older 2 layers but I don't want to go to that much trouble if I don't have to. Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,155 • Replies: 7
No top replies

mismi

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 06:54 am
Lowe's - Installing Sheet Vinyl Floors
0 Replies

smokey54

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 05:05 pm
Lowe's Installing Sheet Vinyl
Thanks, I was having no luck finding out anything about it.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2008 05:16 pm
Any imperfections in the subfloor will telegraph through the sheet vinyl. In other words, eventually the grid of the underlying vinyl tiles will show on the sheet vinyl. The effect will be less noticeable if the sheet vinyl has a texture or pronounced pattern on it. Most important things -- lots of glue is key for success, and don't forget the reducer strip where the new sheet vinyl abutts any other flooring.
0 Replies

smokey54

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 09:24 am
I tried getting the top layer of squares up when I decided to give up. I pulled up the strip at the door and the bottom layer of old flooring was coming right up. I was able to get both up because the first layer was a sheet and not the squares. I had an ice scraper that you use on sidewalks and that peeled both up at once. I think they spilled the glue in a few spots and those took a lot of elbow grease to get up, but now I am down to the wood.
Thanks for all the help!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 09:36 am
Sounds like a lot of work...but I think you will be glad you pulled the old stuff up. Hopefully it will make it easier to put the sheet vinyl down. Good Luck!
0 Replies

smokey54

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 07:54 pm
I think so too. It seemed like such a big job but taking it one step at a time is working out O.K. Thanks
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 07:59 pm
Often 1/4" luaun underlayment is put over existing vinyl. It's easier than pulling up existing flooring.

It means the new floor will be higher than the surrounding area but a trim piece will take care of it.
0 Replies