One angry man: Is Keith Olbermann changing TV news?

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 10:33 am
Fascinating history of Keith Olbermann's life and what makes him scratch his itch. ---BBB

One angry man: Is Keith Olbermann changing TV news?
New Yorker Magazine
June 23, 2008

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/06/23/080623fa_fact_boyer
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 817 • Replies: 2
No top replies

firefly

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 04:51 pm
Very interesting piece.

I enjoy Olbermann, most of the time. His Special Comments, mainly directed toward Bush and Cheney, have had me cheering aloud and clapping at the end. It has been very refreshing to hear someone so directly state his views, and air his own angry feelings, in a no-holds- barred manner that drips with pungent sarcasm--particularly when you agree with what the guy is saying. I felt he was speaking out for me, and voicing what I would say if I had his platform.

But, when he began to do similar attacks on Hillary Clinton, I felt he was being unfair, was exaggerating and distorting, and he began to lose me. He hasn't lost me permanently, I still tune in, but not with the faithfulness I once did.

So, when I agree with him, he's great. When I don't agree, he strikes me as being somewhat petty and abrasively irritating. His obsessions, particularly the one with Bill-O, have just grown tedious and have always seemed rather adolescent.

Olbermann is certainly unique. I find his commentary, and his humor, a breath of fresh air in the often mind-numbing world of repetitive cable news.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 05:03 pm
firefly
Firefly, I have many of the same feelings about Olbermann that you expressed. He is, indeed, refreshing if not obsessive about some people.

BBB
0 Replies