The violent wake of gun control

cjhsa

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 12:59 pm
The violent wake of gun control

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 09, 2008
1:00 am Eastern

© 2008
A 25-year-old Tokyo man, describing himself as "tired of living," yesterday killed seven and injured 12 more people.

He did it without a gun.

He would have killed and injured more, but he was stopped by the mere threat of a policeman's gun.

My point?

Japan has among the very strictest gun control laws in the world. And that is precisely why one disturbed young man with a truck and a knife could wreak such carnage in a bustling neighborhood.

Tomohiro Kato drive his truck into a crowd of pedestrians shortly after noon, then jumped out of his vehicle and began stabbing any strangers he could reach.

One policeman, armed only with a baton, managed to duel with the assailant for a time - perhaps slowing down the violent rampage. But it took another officer with a firearm aimed at Kato's head to stop him.

People who believe gun control will result in less violence should be forced to live in societies where only criminals have guns - or where, like in Japan, police have broad search-and-seizure latitude to hunt down any illicit weapons.

They should be forced to keep signs on their homes that say: "No firearms kept in this house."

They should be forced to watch hours of newsreel footage of the genocides of the 20th century, all of which were preceded by massive campaigns of government firearms confiscation.

While no one could have prevented Kato from plowing his truck into a crowd of pedestrians anywhere in the world, there is simply no excuse for the kind of slaughter that followed. A community that protected its citizens' safety and respected the natural inalienable right to self-defense by firearms would have limited the carnage.

Imagine Kato trying to kill as many people as he possibly could in Tel Aviv.

Imagine Kato pulling the same bloody stunt in Texas.

Imagine Kato attempting to crash his truck into a gun shop, a police station or a military armory.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to live in a place where the government has a monopoly on firearms.

It's not safer. It's more dangerous - and less free.

There are really only two alternatives to a free society that respects the right of armed self-defense: One is chaos and anarchy and the other is a repressive police state like the people of Japan live under.

Which of those options would we prefer here in the United States - one of the few nations in the world that recognizes the God-given right of every person to defend himself or herself?

It is very unlikely a policeman is going to be around to protect you or your family member when you are attacked. But in a civil society in which ordinary citizens are free to bear arms, there is an excellent chance either you or some other law-abiding person will be in a position to help.

The gun-control crowd often acts like it is the compassionate and caring side in the debate about crime. It is not. The gun-control activists would leave the most vulnerable members of society even more helpless. Their program would result in more death, more mayhem, and more violence.

It's not a matter of speculation. It's a matter of observation. It's a simple matter of analyzing the failed social experiments of the past - honestly and objectively.

We can learn from Japan, all right.

The lesson to be learned is not to repeat the mistakes that country has made on guns - trading freedom for safety and getting neither.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=66593
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,017 • Replies: 41
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 01:49 pm
More loony drivel from cjhsa.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 06:29 am
Frenchmen are odd ducks. They pop up and throw a stick at the soldier than run like hell.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 08:16 am
Worldnetdaily commentary. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
There are really only two alternatives to a free society that respects the right of armed self-defense: One is chaos and anarchy and the other is a repressive police state like the people of Japan live under.
Has the author of the commentary ever been outside of his mother's basement other than to go fondle guns at a gun shop?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 09:47 am
Parados has no valid response so he goes after the secondhand opinionator. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:19 am
parados wrote:

Quote:
Has the author of the commentary ever been outside of his mother's basement other than to go fondle guns at a gun shop?

When u can 't address the message attack the messenger, right Parados ?

U believe that murderers waited around impatiently
doing nothing until guns were invented ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:21 am
contrex wrote:
More loony drivel from cjhsa.

Maybe u carry your own portable guillotine around Paris
for defensive purposes ?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:24 am
cjhsa,

You posted the opinion piece of someone. I commented on his piece. You don't like my comment. Tough titty.

Quote:

The statement I quoted is from someone that has not been to Japan and certainly hasn't spent much time in the real world.

There are NOT only 2 alternatives to a society that allows people to use guns for self defense. The 2 alternatives the author proposes leads me to conclude he has no life experience and probably has never left home hence he lives in his mother's basement. When you grow up some day you might understand things better cjhsa.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:28 am
OmSigDAVID wrote:
parados wrote:

Quote:

David

The message WAS an opinion piece. I attacked the opinion of the author. The piece cjhsa posted couldn't address the act so it attacked Japan with an outlandish statement that has no basis in fact.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:44 am
parados wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
parados wrote:

Quote:

David

The message WAS an opinion piece. I attacked the opinion of the author. The piece cjhsa posted couldn't address the act so it attacked Japan with an outlandish statement that has no basis in fact.

THE HELL u did.

U only spouted some nonsense about leaving his mother 's basement.
THAT is your idea of attacking "the opinion of the author."

David
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 11:13 am
parados wrote:

When you grow up some day you might understand things better cjhsa.

Last year at 4:30 AM someone drove in to my cabin, which is 1/2 mile back in the woods. I suppose it was the postman, or, maybe someone going to work and took a wrong turn onto a two track ...

No, the real lack on understanding is on your part, and the false police prophets you bet your life on.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 03:33 pm
parados wrote:
cjhsa,

You posted the opinion piece of someone. I commented on his piece. You don't like my comment. Tough titty.

Quote:

The statement I quoted is from someone that has not been to Japan and certainly hasn't spent much time in the real world.

There are NOT only 2 alternatives to a society that allows people to use guns for self defense. The 2 alternatives the author proposes leads me to conclude he has no life experience and probably has never left home hence he lives in his mother's basement. When you grow up some day you might understand things better cjhsa.

Will u admit that your highest societal ideal
is for the law abiding populace ( i.e., the past & future VICTIMS of crime )
to walk thru the world each day in a state of utter helplessness
( as defenseless as a butterfly ) with blind faith in police who r not around ?

Like Kitty Genovese & like Reginald Denny ?

David
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 04:26 pm
IN the majority of the Western wold people do walk around every day without carrying a gun. And the really amazing thing, most of them are not attacked and killed and even more amazing most don't live in a police state. This simple fact makes the argument that those are the only 2 possibilities if people don't carry guns proves how silly the statement was and continues to be.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 04:43 pm
parados wrote:
IN the majority of the Western wold people do walk around every day without carrying a gun.

That 's like saying that people DO walk around every day without health insurance,
and thay do not always get a heart attack every day:
ergo it is folly to get health insurance. NO SALE !

Quote:
And the really amazing thing, most of them are not attacked and killed and even more amazing most don't live in a police state. This simple fact makes the argument that those are the only 2 possibilities if people don't carry guns proves how silly the statement was and continues to be.

OK; if u or your loved ones are attacked by man or beast,
u can explain to them how SILLY it is; surely thay 'll agree with u
and let u and your cash n jewelry go, intact (and of course, thay will not
lower themselves to act out of passion).
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 04:59 pm
Quote:

Please point to the chaos and anarchy that exist in the following western civilizations.

England
France
Australia
Germany
Japan

Or you can point to how they are repressive police states. But I will be happy to let you point to one as long as you provide supporting evidence.

Unless you want to say their gun laws are just fine with you.

Quote:

Your silly argument that simply carrying a gun means I won't be killed is just that, silly. Carrying a gun doesn't guarantee that I won't be killed any more than not carrying a gun guarantees I will. Nor does not carrying a gun mean the society I live in will be one of chaos and anarchy which was the argument in the piece that I have had a disagreement with. Funny how none of you have provided any support for that argument but only attacked me in the same fashion you claim I attacked the author.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 07:27 pm
Hey parados... nervous?

http://www.opencarry.org/
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 10:39 pm
parados wrote:

Quote:

Your silly argument that simply carrying a gun means I won't be killed is just that, silly.

That was not my argument.

We are here considering only the probabilities.
Possession of defensive firepower only means that u can have some
degree
of control of the situation, in a predatory emergency,
or at least some means of trying to control it,
as distinct from being 100% helpless.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 04:32 pm
bottom line if you have a gun and everyone knows it, who is going to try to rob/assault you?

ill wait for an answer.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 12:30 am
OGIONIK wrote:
bottom line if you have a gun and everyone knows it, who is going to try to rob/assault you?

ill wait for an answer.

Another guy with a gun who thinks he may be a better shot/quicker on the draw than you, or who is a demented loony or an over confident kid or high on drugs.

I presume they don't have newspapers where you come from?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2008 07:05 am
contrex wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:

ill wait for an answer.

Another guy with a gun who thinks he may be a better shot/quicker on the draw than you, or who is a demented loony or an over confident kid or high on drugs.

I presume they don't have newspapers where you come from?

Apparently the newspapers where you live equate lowlifes with citizens.
0 Replies