Dual Citizenship with Australia/UK, need advise.

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 03:49 am
I am a 23 yr old, female Australian Citizen but my mother was born in Scotland. I would like Dual citizenship but when I research it I get confused because they talk about only being able to get it if it was my father born there. Am I able to gain dual citezenship?
Also, if I change my last name after gaining dual citizenship, will this affect the citizenship?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,860 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 03:42 pm
It's not so much where your mother was born, it's more that if she still had UK citizenship at the time of your birth, you may be able to claim UK citizenship. Once you have UK citizenship, it cannot be taken away from you (except if it is discovered that you lied to get it), whatever name you call yourself. You should contact the British High Commission in Canberra for advice and to find out what paperwork you will need to supply.

British High Commission
Canberra, ACT 2601
Australia
0 Replies

Hskimmings

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 01:21 am
O really. I have no idea if she still had her citizenship when she had me and I am fostered and have no contact with her. Do you know if there is a way I can find out?
Thanks for your response!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 01:48 am
It should be noted on your birth certificate.
0 Replies

MH

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 11:53 pm
I would belive the answer is YES. Even if your mother obtained Australian citizenship, she was/is not required to formaly renounce her UK citizenship to UK authorites ..chances are she did not. You are able to get birth information on-line from the registrys in the UK, so if you know your mothers name it would not be too dificult to request an official copy of her birth certificate, put that with yours and thats it.
0 Replies