How do I tell my parents I want to become a costume designer

Iceburg

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:24 pm
Since I was little I've wanted to become a veterinarian, but after intense research, I realize that instead I want to become a costume designer for theatres.

My parents are really against it, my mom even said I couldn't do it, and everyone else thinks I'm joking when I tell them I want to become a costume designer.

I'm going to start high school next year, so how do I break the news to them without them making me not pursue my career dream?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,037 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:26 pm
Maybe you should break it to them slowly by making costumes for your pets.
0 Replies

Iceburg

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:27 pm
Yeah, I was thinking about making some costumes from some designs I made and actually make, and wear, them over the next 4 years.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:29 pm
sounds like a plan.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:32 pm
Hi iceburg.

As you're just starting high school, you'll likely have the opportunity to participate in community/school theatre by assisting with costuming. Show you're serious by volunteering in the area that interests you.

If you're in a city that's big enough to have a significant professional theatre community - ask to interview one of the costume designers as part of a school project. Learn more about their academic background.

I'd say you're a bit young to be making serious pronouncements about your career plans - test out design and costuming - see if you like what the nitty-gritty of the work is like. You don't have to commit to a career at this stage of your life.
0 Replies