Let's moan & groan about seasonable summer weather

kickycan

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 06:50 pm
I love the heat. I am part lizard though. You know what's awesome about summer? When it's like 96 degrees or so and then it rains for a little while. I love the way it smells and feels right after a little thunderstorm, and how the steam rises off the pavement...yeah this is my time of year.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 07:03 pm
Tuesday will reach the mid-90s. There is no air conditioning in the school. With a heat index, it will feel like 107 degrees by mid afternoon. I may have to call in sick.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 05:44 am
from the cool comfort of his climate-controlled apartment, kickycan wrote:
I love the heat. I am part lizard though. You know what's awesome about summer? When it's like 96 degrees or so and then it rains for a little while. I love the way it smells and feels right after a little thunderstorm, and how the steam rises off the pavement...yeah this is my time of year.

i totally agree -- i love the hot n' humid action.

but that didn't prevent me from installing A/C units in this room and the bedroom yesterday...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 06:57 am
mushypancakes wrote:
I like the heat. I like the cold. Otherwise I would have moved by now. Smile

What I don't like are air conditioners set so that it feels like you are walking into a morgue.

Yes, exactly! E.G. likes it to be much colder than I do, we're always having thermostat battles. The main problem seems to be that we have an old house that doesn't properly circulate air -- it's really hard to get the upstairs cool. E.G. HATES to try to sleep in the heat. (Our bedroom is upstairs.) I sympathize with that but I'm downstairs most of the day and I HATE sitting there with a sweater on when it's 95 outside! Ridiculous, on many levels.

We've compromised, thermostat-wise, and set up a fan system that seems to help. But I getcha, and not just about my house -- going shopping and stepping from heat into a wall of cold. Bleh.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 07:01 am
Its just about to snow here so stop your whinging.

cam link
http://www.ski.com.au/snowcams/australia/vic/buller/buller1.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 07:15 am
Bitch, bitch, bitch. In my neck of the woods it has been in the mid 90s for the last couple of weeks, and will stay there until about the end of September. Whereas I used to do my walk from 9-11, now I have to start around 7, or I will roast!

I have a central air contitioning system that is set for one temperature if heat is needed, another for cooling. It automatically changes systems when a certain temperature is reached. One of the funniest things happen in the winter, when the heat is on in the morning, and the a/c is on in the afternoon.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 07:29 am
bitch whine moan

95+ for almost 2 weeks

humidity so high you can drink the water

an ac unit that does not cool past 88degrees in an apt that has no shade and large, super hot windows.

even the ac in the car is going out.

I sweat enough water to fill a small kiddy pool and this will go on to september/october.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 10:17 am
For most of the year I'm a stalwart advocate for human rights.

In weather like this I catch myself fantasizing about docile bondslaves who would fetch and carry without complaint no matter how hot the weather.

At least I realize that I'm a bitch with vivid inconsistencies.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 10:25 am
dislike the cold completely.

Enjoy the heat and sun. I know its bad for me, but I can't help basking in the sun - it just feels soooo good - just like a kitty lounging in the sun's rays. I do put on strong sun screen and try to limit my time.

When it gets real hot - just sit in some water - cools you right down.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 11:11 am
right there with ya. i like them all,but i LOVE the heat. it's enough to make me feel Ultimately Happy.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 11:24 am
We're having a lovely June-uary here. My garden laughs at me every time I go outside.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 11:46 am
eastern lake ontario :

having great weather - we can enjoy an afternoon by lake ontario without having to wear a jacket !
clothes are being dried on the clothesline again !
really not much to complain about - except the mosqitoes ; they've been quite active so far . a few days of really hot weather without rain will get rid of them .
hbg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 03:14 pm
The first 1:20 or so of this clip is what it feels like outside right now, and I love it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GVDtqeIvgJ0

<it's also a really good movie, by the way, but that's beside the point>
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 05:55 pm
Sunday afternoon I was doing a pool party and the temp hit 103... I actually fell out and had to take a break and go inside to cool down before I could finish.... but I was over tired. I love the heat... I'll ride my bike in the 100's.... no problem.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 07:19 pm
it's just nice to be able to sit in the sideyard surrounded by flowering weigelia and spirea bushes - birds buzzing around - enjoying a cup of tea and cake in the afternoon out there ...
mind you , i had four stinkpots going to keep the mosquitoes in check :wink:
a few more really hot days should reduce their numbers .
hbg
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 07:27 pm
It rained cats and dogs on my way home. Again. Did I ever tell you I live in a Rainforest? sigh. And of course I scoff at umbrellas so I had a new "do" when I finally arrived home. And it wasn't attractive Smile
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 11:22 pm
The only downside to this weather was a self-inflicted sinusitis. I thought I was getting a migraine - godawful all-pervasive headache....then my nose started running and didn't stop for hours! must be all the air-conditioning and sleeping with a fan on for te first time. yech.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 11:36 pm
What annoys me the most is not the heat as such, but my broken air conditioning. It is much worse than no air conditioning at all.

I didn't have AC back in Munich, and did use to experience comparable heat there from time to time. It was never a problem. I could always handle it by opening the windows as wide as I could before bed time, closing them at 6 am, and closing the shades with them. I tried that here in New Jersey too. But the maneuver is sabotaged by the defunct AC unit now: All the heat built up under the roof is pushing into my apartment through the useless AC conduits, heating it up the place to 95 degrees Fahrenheit. That's pretty much the outside temperature. I'd throw a fit, but the heat has sucked out of me the energy to do it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 06:33 am
Thomas--

I agree. Lillies that fester smell far worse than weeds. Broken air conditioners are festering lillies.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 06:38 am
Dark as night about 8 am here and then a downpour. I have been trying to get my laundry on the clothesline for days but the sun only shines on days I'm working it seems. I'm going to have to break down and use the dryer as the laundry is really piling up (talk about festering lilies...)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 12:59:16