Let's moan & groan about seasonable summer weather

Noddy24

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:04 am
Ninety degree temperatures in early June aren't common, but neither do they presage the coming of End Times or Ragnarok. Still, the world isn't going to fulfil Robert Frost's prediction and end in ice--thereby saving the polar bears--anytime soon.

I'm a moderate person, preferring to avoid extremes of both heat and cold. Having lost considerable weight since the last seasonable, summer weather, I'll probably find the heat less oppressive than I did last year. All the same, I intend to exploit air conditioning?

What about you? Do your bones crave basking in the sun (while your skin sprouts cancer)? Do you enjoy working up a purging, purifying sweat? Do you head for the nearest chaise lounge to swill iced tea--or gin & it?

Summer is marching in early. Do you rejoice or complain?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,499 • Replies: 108
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:19 am
Noddy
We've had the worst and longest windy season since I moved to ABQ in 2002. Hate the damn wind. It's hot, too.

BBB
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:19 am
I have an extremely limited comfort range. It runs from 65 - 78 degrees. Anything else and I'm complaining. Having said that, I've also spent quite a bit of time in San Diego where it's always within my comfort range and I've complained about that too. I guess I just like to complain about the weather.

We tend to be frugal to a fault when it comes to climate control. My furnace is set at 68 for a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours in the evening during the winter, but 58 otherwise. My air conditioning only comes on when we're in the second day of 90+ temps and there's a third day forecast. We're in day three today, the AC was turned on last night. I grew up with oil stoves for heat (no heat at all in the bedrooms) and no AC. Lots of blankets in the winter and open windows in the summer are my preference.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:20 am
Sun not only ages your skin, it ( in excessive amounts )also may cause melanoma.

Stay indoors during day time with the A/C on and then venture outdoors at night. Be sure to use bug spray... Surprised
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:25 am
I live in Boston... where there are four week a year that I am not complaining about either the cold or the heat.

But that's one of the little pleasures of living in New England.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:31 am
I took my first cuts of alfalfa hay in the last 3 days(20 tons) and the heat was perfect for bailing . The hay doesnt have much moisture and doesnt get moldy in the center. I dont know how New England FArmers make it. They cant make decent hay in the middle of summer, let alone the cusps.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 08:58 am
I dislike heat indexes in the 100's.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:01 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I live in Boston... where there are four week a year that I am not complaining about either the cold or the heat.

I complain little less, but when it's humid and above 85 degrees, I can really get going......
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:21 am
I like the heat. I like the cold. Otherwise I would have moved by now. Smile

What I don't like are air conditioners set so that it feels like you are walking into a morgue.

In the winter, I love to crank the heat up and bundle in many layers. And in the spring and summer, it's a running joke about how the rest of the people around me are sweating like hogs and I've got a sweater on.

I'm still wearing a light jacket. I don't think my body was made for the cold at all..but I love winter. Love love my snow and ice.

So the only real complaint now is to go grocery shopping and visiting and walking into those artificially cold morgues. Bleh. Time to hit the patios for sure!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:26 am
caribou wrote:

Do you remember driving cars without A/C? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 09:55 am
Rain, rain, rain - we still haven't had a spring yet, much less summer. blah.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 10:28 am
littlek wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

I complain little less, but when it's humid and above 85 degrees, I can really get going......

Me too. But like Noddy, I'm also feeling the benefit of weight loss = the heat isn't quite as intolerable.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 10:44 am
Jespah - congrats!
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 01:49 pm
Miller wrote:
caribou wrote:

Do you remember driving cars without A/C? Crying or Very sad

remember! hA!
I don't have AC now!

And I just got back from running errands.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 01:57 pm
JPB wrote:
IHaving said that, I've also spent quite a bit of time in San Diego where it's always within my comfort range and I've complained about that too.

You would have quite a bit to complain this year. San Diego has had
some unusual weather - in March the temperatures climbed toward the
100 F mark (which we never have) and we have had some miserable
hot weather since then.

This past Thursday it was 59 F and raining, Friday it got up to 80F and
yesterday it was 60+F and so windy, one of my huge Ficus that's in one
of those heavy terra cotta pots, fell over. Shocked

Today seems normal - whatever that means nowadays!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 03:24 pm
Mame wrote:
Rain, rain, rain - we still haven't had a spring yet, much less summer. blah.

Mame, you'll see, 30 degree + celsius will just be around the corner! Mad Mad Mad

Me, anything above 22 C and below 8 C, I dislike.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 04:58 pm
littlek wrote:
Jespah - congrats!

Thank ya, but I've got a ways to go. Smile
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 05:07 pm
Record Breaking Temps ALREADY?

I can't wait until next weekend. 87 will seem seasonable.

As I've often said to Bear... "I don't like to sweat."

And, Progress Energy is asking for a 16-18% increase in rates!! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 05:10 pm
I've been known to say that when it gets hot I don't like to sit so that skin touches skin (my own skin).

Yuck.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2008 05:13 pm
I hadn't had air conditioning of any sort in my cars until this last one, and it presently needs to be recharged, or whatever the term is. Never air conditioning in house or apartment until now, with the swamp cooler, which I leave off most of the time so far. I get snarfy when it is over 85 in this house. But it's different here. I can't have the windows and doors open at this time (need two new screen doors), and even if I could, this is wind and sand city late March through June, so far, anyway. I'm not interested in living in grit-house. When I took up the uglycarpet here, there was a full 1/2 or 3/4 inch of sand under it near the back door..
Back in Chicago and NYC and LA, whate'er the heat, with or without humidity, there was air. Ah, well, this wind part will pass, and then it'll be July and August..
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Let's moan & groan about seasonable summer weather
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 11:44:46