You Can't Do This in France

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:00 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Paradoxically, you say:
Francis wrote:
I do believe it's an inalienable civil right of mine NOT to be insulted, provoked or discriminated against, due to my color, origin, racial background, opinions and religion.

while supporting arresting a woman for her opinions. Does she not have this right that you claim for yourself?

I'm not sure about how your French is, Brandon, so I don't quote neither the (already generally named) laws nor the ruling.

But: Bardot had five times within 11 years "insulted, provoked or discriminated others, due to their color, origin, racial background, religion ...".
Five times. Not for her opinion but for breaking laws.

Why does she have the right to break laws?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:33 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
it alleges an objective lie about your actions which injures you tangibly, or the speaker is harassing you, or directly exhorting others to commit violence against you.

This is what Mrs Bardot is doing for years...

And I repeat : it is my right, at least here in France, NOT to be insulted, provoked and/or discriminated against, due to my opinions.

Now, we can debate on them..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:08 am
It's your RIGHT to not be insulted?

French people are stupid.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:14 am
cjhsa wrote:
It's your RIGHT to not be insulted?

French people are stupid.

Definitely, as human beings, you and I are not of the same kind, therefore your insults are wasted..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:16 am
Thank God for that.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:18 am
Even there we are not alike. God has nothing to do with it..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:20 am
I hate Brigitte Bardot. Bridgitte is a hero.

Francis is just a waste of fonts.

(Hey Franny, better stay out of the Insult Chain thread)
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:24 am
I do not hate...

And I'll stay out of the Insult chain thread, as I'm not good at that..
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 05:04 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Paradoxically, you say:
Francis wrote:
I do believe it's an inalienable civil right of mine NOT to be insulted, provoked or discriminated against, due to my color, origin, racial background, opinions and religion.

while supporting arresting a woman for her opinions. Does she not have this right that you claim for yourself?

I'm not sure about how your French is, Brandon, so I don't quote neither the (already generally named) laws nor the ruling.

But: Bardot had five times within 11 years "insulted, provoked or discriminated others, due to their color, origin, racial background, religion ...".
Five times. Not for her opinion but for breaking laws.

Why does she have the right to break laws?

She has the right to break the law because the government possesses no right to forbid people to state their opinions. All such laws ought to be ignored by anyone brave enough to fight oppression.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 05:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
What could be more provincial than: "You might have fought and died for France, but you don't look like us, so get the hell out?"

I think the point is supposed to be that people have the right to free speech even when such speech is repugnant. Do you advocate replealing the First Amendment in America? My sole point here is that no government has the right to forbid a citizen to state an opinion.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 06:26 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Equus wrote:
Isn't this the same country that forbade Muslim females from wearing headshawls?

No. You must have mixed up something. (Teachers and pupils aren't allowed to to wear headshawls - like any other persons aren't allowed to wear any religious stuff in schools as well: seperation of state and church, you know.

thats not seperation of church and state, thats seperation of individual and church.

eeew france is a gay ass place.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 12:30 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

She has the right to break the law because the government possesses no right to forbid people to state their opinions. All such laws ought to be ignored by anyone brave enough to fight oppression.

That's an interesting opinion, since according to the French constitutional court ("(Conseil constitutionnel") these laws are according to the constitution (similar rulings by the "European Court of Human Rights" [ECHR]).

Brandon9000 wrote:

My sole point here is that no government has the right to forbid a citizen to state an opinion.

As said: this is not forbidding an opinion but harming the constitutional rights of others, in a criminal way.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 05:22 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

That's an interesting opinion, since according to the French constitutional court ("(Conseil constitutionnel") these laws are according to the constitution (similar rulings by the "European Court of Human Rights" [ECHR]).

It must be some great document on human rights that forbids people to write unsanctioned thoughts.

Quote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

My sole point here is that no government has the right to forbid a citizen to state an opinion.

As said: this is not forbidding an opinion but harming the constitutional rights of others, in a criminal way.

Acting may harm the rights of others, but stating an opinion does not. All beings have a right to say what they think. Europe is unfortunately moving towards totalitarianism, if your governments can forcibly tell you what opinions you may or may not have.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 05:31 am
Actually we don't want totalirism .... times like from 19933 mustn't come back.

At least that's what we don't want.

You've certainly to right to think differently - but we wont change our constitution(s) just due to that nor our ideas of freedom, parliamentary democracy and human rights.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 05:53 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Acting may harm the rights of others, but stating an opinion does not. All beings have a right to say what they think. Europe is unfortunately moving towards totalitarianism, if your governments can forcibly tell you what opinions you may or may not have.

You know, Brandon, this is clearly not debate.

You are expressing your opinions and are not even listening to what others have to say.

You are passing judgements according to your standards.

Reality in Europe is a bit more complexe than your attempts to make people believe it is the way you describe such reality.

Governments very seldom pass laws (we have parliaments).

Governments propose laws to the parliament, then a vote takes place.

Laws usually reflect the state of mind of a society.

As such, there's a common consensus that expressing heinous concepts should be prohibited.

So, laws have been passed to outlaw such publicizing of hatred discourse.

We have seen that uttering this kind of opinions lead often to some clueless youths profanating and wrecking tombs of Jews and Arabs...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 05:58 am
This thread is about Cjhsa's irrational hatred of France and the French and all things French, and has never been about anything else. I haven't seen him start a thread about hate speech laws and holocaust denial laws in Germany (and if he does subsequent to this remark, i won't be either surprised or impressed). I'm not surprised, either, to see Brandon ranting here. Conservatives have come to a point where they love to hate France and the French more than any other nation or people. They seem conveniently to forget that France participated in the 1990-91 Gulf War, and immediately responded to the call for NATO troops when the target was Afghanistan. This is all about sour grapes because the French would not go along with the criminal invasion of Iraq . . . period.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:00 am
Francis wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

You know, Brandon, this is clearly not debate.

You are expressing your opinions and are not even listening to what others have to say.

You are passing judgements according to your standards.

Reality in Europe is a bit more complexe than your attempts to make people believe it is the way you describe such reality.

Governments very seldom pass laws (we have parliaments).

Governments propose laws to the parliament, then a vote takes place.

Laws usually reflect the state of mind of a society.

As such, there's a common consensus that expressing heinous concepts should be prohibited.

So, laws have been passed to outlaw such publicizing of hatred discourse.

We have seen that uttering this kind of opinions lead often to some clueless youths profanating and wrecking tombs of Jews and Arabs...

I'm listening to what you're saying as much as you are listening to what I'm saying. Coming around to your side of the issue is not a pre-requisite for a competition of ideas to constitute a debate.

And you have ignored my observation that in a previous post you claimed the right to your own opinions:

Francis wrote:

which is precisely what you're trying to deny others.

Over here we believe that there is an absolute right to state one's opinion. Once you allow the government to arrest people for forbidden ideas, you're just a step or two away from arresting people for criticizing the government. Take your thought police, then, since you're so proud of them, and I'll take my free exchange of ideas.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:04 am
Setanta wrote:
This thread is about Cjhsa's irrational hatred of France and the French and all things French, and has never been about anything else. I haven't seen him start a thread about hate speech laws and holocaust denial laws in Germany (and if he does subsequent to this remark, i won't be either surprised or impressed). I'm not surprised, either, to see Brandon ranting here. Conservatives have come to a point where they love to hate France and the French more than any other nation or people. They seem conveniently to forget that France participated in the 1990-91 Gulf War, and immediately responded to the call for NATO troops when the target was Afghanistan. This is all about sour grapes because the French would not go along with the criminal invasion of Iraq . . . period.

I'm making no statement here at all about France, or their historical contributions, or their worth as a nation. I'm saying that I don't like what they're doing in outlawing the right to express certain opinions. If they can fault the US for human rights violations, I suppose I can fault them on the same point. I also find it sad that you don't seem to be at all concerned about throwing people in jail for expressing forbidden ideas. Such a policy deserves criticism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:10 am
Boo-hoo, Brandon the champion of Free Expression.

In the first place, i don't believe you for a moment, because neither have you ever mentioned or started a thread about free speech and hate speech issues in Germany and England (do you even know what those issues are?). So i don't for a moment doubt, given your rabid and desperate clinging to a flimsy justification for the criminal war in Iraq, that your motivation is a hatred for the French because they would not join the Shrub in that criminal war--all of your virtuous protestations notwithstanding.

It is not the ideas which are forbidden, it is the public expression of them, so spare me your sanctimonious "holier-than-thou" attitude. Mlle Bardot has been charged with this crime on several previous occasions, so she knew what she was doing before she did it. France is a democratic republic, and a sovereign nation, so they have the right to enact legislation without consulting Brandon in advance about his personal opinion of the propriety of any proposed legislation. Bardot shot her mouth off, knowing the likely consequences, and she's getting slapped down for it, just as even someone as dim-witted as is she would have known.

Boo-hoo.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 06:12 am
Francis wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
it alleges an objective lie about your actions which injures you tangibly, or the speaker is harassing you, or directly exhorting others to commit violence against you.

When I said you are not listening..

Is this an opinion: directly exhorting others to commit violence against you?
0 Replies