ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 04:03 pm
I can see why, Linkat. Waiting/anxious with you.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 04:27 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I probably still have my Smoky the Cow Horse too, in one of the boxes still undealt with... but it was not the book of my youth, which must have gone into a garage sale or thrift giveaway at some point. I bought one decades later at a used book store in a fit of nostalgia, and that's the one I think I have now. Sort of torn biding, but still, yes, a painting I liked on the cover, and I think it had some kind of "frame" around it. I remember illustrations inside too. I checked google images and didn't see the exact cover I remember.

Horse books, well, Walter Farley's Black Stallion series..
Black Beauty (sob)
and probably others.

I never had imaginary friends as a child, that I remember anyway, but I did live quite the daydreamy life as a thirteen/fourteen year old with few friends in my neighborhood fairly far from school.

It did have a frame around it! Oh - I wish I knew what box it was in!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 10:14 am
ossobuco wrote:
I can see why, Linkat. Waiting/anxious with you.

Yeah my friend "Wilson" is keeping me company right now.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:04 pm
Linkat makes a very good point. Who didn't gasp as "Wilson" fell off the raft? Was that gasp for the humanity of Wilson or the danger we knew would follow for the castaway? A little of both?

Note: I've known people, men and women who raised little children by themselves (like me) who told me that if they didn't have the dog to talk to, or the cat to talk to, they couldn't have done it .
(One woman told me she had a stuffed blue sheep with whom she reviewed her day and revealed her deepest plans for the future and who had apparently talked her out of making several errors. A leased car??! What?!! Baah.)

Note: My mother used to say it was perfectly alright to talk to yourself, it was when you started to have arguments that it got iffy.

Is there something about the human condition that leads us to animate imaginary friends? Something about being to share thoughts without someone REAL interrupting the flow .... .

Joe(why did Jesus go out to the desert?)Nation
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:17 pm
All things considered, I prefer imaginary friends to imaginary enemies.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 06:50 pm
I bought a "Wilson" ball. He keeps me company anytime I am at the computer.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:57 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Is there something about the human condition that leads us to animate imaginary friends?
Yes, it's the personification of the multiple persona!

There is no inherent reason why the mind should be of one persona.

Simply because our western culture normatives tend to impose the one mind one persona belief for "healthy adults" in no way makes it true.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 06:33 am
I like George's point about it being better to have imaginary friends than imaginary enemies.

I didn't have imaginary friends as a child--although every so often, I'd try to concoct a few because the breed sounded delightful. As Joe points out, over the years I've acquired quite a few shades and shadows and ghosts and drop-in psychic guests and long standing archtypal residents.

For example, I have a carefully corralled column of domesticated army ants marching through a fairly remote corner of my mental territory. I review them every time I'm feeling sluggardly or aching to indulge short-sighted intertia. They don't seem to shed much practical wisdom, but....

The Little Red Hen is most supportive--although myopic and a little vindictive.

I feel sorry for many kids today whose interior population is drawn from Toons and other commercial sources. Of course, they probably think that my mind is overpopulated with weirdos....
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 08:48 am
Chumly wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
Is there something about the human condition that leads us to animate imaginary friends?

Simply because our western culture normatives tend to impose the one mind one persona belief for "healthy adults" in no way makes it true.

OK, which one of you said that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:02 am
Frankly, i've become convinced that Joe is just a figment of my imagination. I guess he's friendly.

(George, too . . . )
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:55 am
I am more a fig newton of your imagination.

Is it possible to have a figment that is neither of one's own imagination nor that of someone elses?

Joe(is there a figment factory?)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:09 pm
Perhaps you refer to the medical condition known as urticaria figmentosa?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 05:43 pm
IV. Treatment:

There is no satisfactory treatment for urticaria figmentosa.
Patients with urticaria figmentosa should avoid aspirin, codeine, opiates, procaine, alcohol. polymyxin B, hot baths, smartasses, and vigorous rubbing after bathing and showering. These can release histamine which can cause itching, flushing and hives.
Antihistamines such as Benadryl can help control itching, hives, and flushing.

Joe(I am paying you no nevermind)Nation
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 05:56 pm
She said it was just a figment of speech
And I said, "You mean figure?"
And she said, "No, figment"
Because she could never imagine it happening
But it did.

Billy Bragg - Walk Away Renee (Version)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 06:15 pm
George wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:

That is the funniest thing on this thread.

Joe(so funny)nation
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:05 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
I like George's point about it being better to have imaginary friends than imaginary enemies.
I said it better and before the George, nah!
Chumly wrote:
My imaginary enemies have real friends!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:07 pm
George wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:

The third eye.......
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
djjd62 wrote:
i'm pretty sure i must have

i could play alone and imagine other people as characters in my whatever situation i was involved in, if i was a soldier i had troops with me who were imaginary

I did that kind of stuff . . . the first motion picture i remember seeing in the theater was Disney's Davey Crockett, and i had all the paraphernalia--a "coonskin" hat and a plastic "Kentucky long rifle." I would pay imaginary "Alamo," and of course, there was a cast of thousands. A lot of us kids would play "World War Two" in those years, as well.

But none of them were recurring characters. They only existed a long as was necessary for playtime, and disappeared as soon as the dinner bell rang.

I'm another in this group -- no imaginary friends, just "extras" for whatever drama I was currently in the middle of....

I was also one of the bike-namers (Pegasus), and one of the readers of every horse book I could find...

This is an awfully fun thread, Joe. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:23 pm
I also read all the horse books I could find. One of my favorite series, The Island Stallion, by Walter Farley, never gets mentioned.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:46 pm
Walter Farley!
Wo, serious flashback.
I can still see the the illustrations.
0 Replies