mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:04 am
Now I did name my bicycle...but that is because I pretended it was a horse.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:10 am
ME TOO! His name was Blue! And we'd go riding through the woods...try to take jumps - everything...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:14 pm
Hey Aidan, My bike was named Mr. Blue. I didn't ride in the woods. I rode on the streets of the Bronx. Tried to jump the curbs.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:17 pm
Mine was Misty...but I had been reading Misty of Chincoteague when I got my bike. I also would tie rope to the handle bars like it was a bridle...it only took two spills to figure out that did not work well.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:34 pm
That's funny! Laughing

Wrote my personal thoughts about the imaginary friends I had last night but decided not to post it. Don't know why really. It's as textbook as can be.

I was the only girl and four years younger to my nearest sib. My parents had split up and my mothers' sister and her two daughters moved in with us from Louisiana. One of the girls and i were the same age and of course, we were soon thick as little thieves. We started school together, we were even in the same class.

My aunt and her daughters moved away about two years later and I must have missed them terribly because that's about the time my two imaginary friends showed up. We played with my dolls and drew pictures together and I talked to them all the time. Soon, my family moved and I started a new school and made new friends and although I do remember Pickles and Poppolock in the new apartment, I don't think they stayed for very long. I guess they'd done their job and moved on. Smile

Want to hear something interesting? Pickles and Poppolock contains the exact number of syllables, 6 including 'and', as the names of my two cousins who came to live with us. hmmmm....it was more than likely the rhythm that was appealing.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:45 pm
I had lots of imaginary girlfriends..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:48 pm
mismi wrote:
Mine was Misty...but I had been reading Misty of Chincoteague when I got my bike. I also would tie rope to the handle bars like it was a bridle...it only took two spills to figure out that did not work well.

I used to do that same thing!!!

Never fell though. Loved it.

I used to make horses out of wrapping paper tubes as well.

As for imaginary friends, I had them all the time.
Most often I would assign that role to a stuffed animal but for the most part, everything in my life had a personality.

The toilet was a person and in order to take care of it, you had to feed it.
Nuff said.

The door required lots of air, so it needed to be opened regularly.

The fridge would tell me it was cold so I would open it to let in some warm air.

The washing machine would drown because it would drink so much water. Many times I had to save its life by pulling out wet clothes and dumping the water into the toilet.

Our fans would get tired and need to be scratched so I would have to granb a straw, or a butter knife and stick it inside of its little holes to scratch its back. It would vibrate with pleasure.

Our car was a girl, and trucks and bigger cars were boys
They all needed to be rubbed with towels and have sheets put over them so that they could sleep while they rested after running down the street.
Our car though... well.. she was really classy.
While driving down the street she would lift up her tire to avoid potholes and other things that could wear on her and make her look ugly.
She was always given enough space to park in and other cars would watch her. Even people. Though they would wave at my mom a lot because they too realized that our car was classy.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:52 pm
I had a stick horse named smoky.

I named him after the pony in the book entitled "Smoky the Cowpony"

smoky was the coolest ever.

we would execute hair pin turns that would cause gravel to spray out in a fan. then we would take off in a cloud of dust.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:54 pm
I loved Smoky too. I still have that book. My boys are not as into horses as I was.

I thought Clint was supercool. I do love cowboys.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:56 pm
GASP!!!

You're the first person I know who's read smokey the cowpony too!!!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:58 pm
It was my goal as a child to read EVERY horse book ever published. I am not sure if I did it...but I gave it my best shot.

I loved that book.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:12 pm
I remember it as Smoky the Cowhorse... now I'm going to have to look it up. Mine had a good illustration on the cover. I seem to remember it was by Will James. Ok, now to google.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:14 pm
Yeah. But that wasn't the cover on my book...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:16 pm
Interesting on James and the book -
but still not MY cover,

http://newberryproject.blogspot.com/2008/05/smoky-cowhorse-1927.html
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:25 pm
oh man, I'm goin' to the library!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:45 pm
I had one. A boy. I called him Zoom.

He was your typical imaginary friend. Did crazy things , you know, like swing from the chandlier and what not.

I got to thinking about it later in life and I wonder now, are imaginary friends really imaginary? Seriously. I wonder if they are ghosts.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:49 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
yeah when there is talk of imaginary friends i think psychos.

its is really odd for me to contemplate....

i def had ZERO of them

Now why would you say that?

Little children are psycho?

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 02:49 pm
Smoky The Cowhorse

These are the illustrations from the inside. But I cannot find the cover that mine had. I still have it...though it is boxed with a bunch of my old things. I need to find it.

Osso - I remember it being a beautiful color painting...

So great...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 03:19 pm
The way I feel right now - I think I will seek out an imaginary friend.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 04:02 pm
I probably still have my Smoky the Cow Horse too, in one of the boxes still undealt with... but it was not the book of my youth, which must have gone into a garage sale or thrift giveaway at some point. I bought one decades later at a used book store in a fit of nostalgia, and that's the one I think I have now. Sort of torn biding, but still, yes, a painting I liked on the cover, and I think it had some kind of "frame" around it. I remember illustrations inside too. I checked google images and didn't see the exact cover I remember.

Horse books, well, Walter Farley's Black Stallion series..
Black Beauty (sob)
and probably others.

I never had imaginary friends as a child, that I remember anyway, but I did live quite the daydreamy life as a thirteen/fourteen year old with few friends in my neighborhood fairly far from school.
0 Replies