Removal of Carpet installed with adhesive?

zmh50

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 05:35 pm
Hi-

I am trying to remove wall to wall carpet that was installed with yellow carpet glue/adhesive. It is very hard to just pull up by hand or with a crowbar.

Is there a method to this? Or some kind of tool that is used for this type of removal?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,318 • Replies: 5
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 07:16 pm
zmh50
zmh50, Try these sites for info re carpet adhesive removal:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=carpet+adhesive+removal&btnG=Google+Search

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Ruach

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 10:04 pm
This process is only done with pure muscle and stamina. There is glue remover you purchase and apply it under the rug. Then you have to scrape whatever does not come up when you pull the rug away.
0 Replies

smokingunne

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 11:30 am
Smile I had it in one of my rooms from previous tenent, I just pulled old carpet up and scraped the rough off and it was OK, unless of course you want bare floor which is a different ball game. Smile

Why do carpet fitters use glue when it is so hard to remove. When I fit a bedroom carpet I use a staple gun and does the job well.
I couldn't fit a hessian back because I have no way of stretching it, and I don't know where I could purchase the "kicker" the fitters use. Sad
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 11:46 am
Maybe use a hairdryer to heat up and melt the adhesive as you are trying to pull a difficult piece?
I think the yellow adhesive has to be scraped and pulled (as you are doing) and I'm not sure that any chemicals are of use since this type of adhesive can be toxic.
0 Replies

Rug Rat

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 07:55 pm
F-3
The yellow glue you refer too is called F-3 well known to carpet fitters, as I am One, and is an all purpose glue and a total *as*ard as you cannot remove it once it has stuck Carpet down .

The only way to remove Carpet stuck in this way is to take a stanley knife to it with a new blade in it and slice through the carpet to be taken up every 3 inches cut it into strips so you dont need Garth to help you

Yours
Rug Rat
0 Replies