Audi TT 1.8 2000

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:30 am
I have a Audi tt and i need help, yesterday i changed the timming belt, tody it make a strange sound , when the car is at 2000rpm its sound like lifters or valve but when the rpm is up like 2500rpm hear no sound, it only sounds at 2000rpm, the car performance is normal and there is no smoke. what could it be need help please.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 719 • Replies: 9
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:42 am
just in case it is relevant..

mileage?

Year of car?

other issues as of late?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:51 am
my friend, the car guy says you're probably off slightly in setting the timing. It could be the cam, it could be something else but you're probably a tooth off somewhere. You need to pull it off to the point where you can see all of your marks, rotate it and double-check that everything is lined up.
0 Replies

joepablo

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 01:00 pm
Audi TT 1.8 2000
my car has 69080 miles, the sounds i hear is like inside the motor. sounds like a tiki tiki tiki tiki....the year of the car is 2000. but if the timming was rong it should lose preformance?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 01:39 pm
Re: Audi TT 1.8 2000
joepablo wrote:
but if the timming was rong it should lose preformance?

Not necessarily. The car's computer is going to automatically advance or retard the timing more as you increase the RPMs based on the inputs it gets from any of several sensors. This is pretty standard with any car engine nowadays.

It may not be capable of adjusting the timing itself far enough at 2000 RPM though. I'm not famaliar enough with the Audi's to know where their power curve is to say one way or the other...
0 Replies

joepablo

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 01:48 pm
Audi TT 1.8 2000
so if the timming is wrong it could make some noise the engine, like lifters or valve?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 01:58 pm
Ummm.. yeah. That's what "timing" is. Shocked

The car's timing is what controls when the valves opening and closing in relation to the piston's location and the spark plug firing. Being that the lifters control the opening and closing of those valves they pretty much have to be involved too... And, of course, since the lifters are controlled by the camshaft and the pistioons are controlled by the crankshaft both of those are involved too. Laughing
0 Replies

joepablo

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 02:11 pm
Audi TT 1.8 2000
another question....... what are the signals of valve problems and lifter problems?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 03:34 pm
That would depend on the type of problem.

Worn valve giudes will usually be signaled by loss of oil. Oil gets past the giudes and into the cylinder and burned so you might see blue smoke in the exhaust and need to add oil more often. If the valves are chiped, bent or burned you'll have compression loss which you may or may not notice (depends on how bad they are and how many cylinders are affected).

If lifters are bad you'll either hear them making noise or you might start getting backfiring or misfiring depending on which lifter it is (intake or exhaust). A bad lifter could cause a valve to either not open or to open and not close...

And if the timing if off then you'll get little "clickity-clack" noises from the valves when you step on the gas... (or possibly when you let off the gas)
0 Replies

joepablo

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 03:40 pm
Audi TT 1.8 2000
so that means that when a lifter is bad it will always sound no mather the rpm of the engine.
my car makes the sound when i step the gas at low rpm about 2000rpm and i leave the gas at about 3000rpm and lowering, so the problem is in the timming belt....bye the way thanks for the advice.
0 Replies