Electrical Problem

jodie34

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 07:19 pm
We have been having problems with our lights and TV losing power instantly. My husband felt the problem had to do with a braker in the electrical box. At times when we would lose power he would go and giggle the braker. So he got tired of doing this and decided to call an Electrician .He paid the Electrician $80.00 today for coming out and changing the braker. I am not blaming the Electrician because that is his job. The thing that upsets me most is my husband will dish out the money instead of try to fix things himself and then he will complain about the cost. Do I have a right to be upset?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 956 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 07:23 pm
No more so than he does...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 07:28 pm
If he feels it is unsafe for him to change a breaker, it is. He is wise to hire it out, in that case.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 07:34 pm
Hey Jodie

I think unless he was a trained electrician or very knoweldgable in this area it would have been unwise to attempt to fix any electrical problem. Some things are worth trying to fix - but electrics / plumbing / computers - I reckon getting an expert in is a wise move. Smile

Hope you are well girl Smile
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 08:11 pm
Maybe I read things wrong but I assumed that the "and then he will complain about the cost" part was what she was getting upset about.
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 08:57 pm
I fully agree since he knows nothing about electricity he should not attempt to fix the problem because dealing with a problem that he knows nothing about could be fatal especially electrical. What upsets me more than anything else is he will never attempt to fix anything himself but when he has to pay someone he complains. Lets put it this way he is not a "Fix it Man". I think of the money that could be saved by trying to do some things without hiring them done.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 12:45 am
Jodie--

Remember, household repairs don't have to be done by men.

Over the years, I've learned a number of handy skills.
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:41 am
Noddy 24

You're right! I know women that do household repairs. The way things were when I was growing up when things needed to be repaired my dad did it. We did the cleaning, cooking, and shopping. I guess what was classfied as women's work. What grips me is if their is a problem with something around the house I am the one that finds it and then he calls the repair main. I guess a lot of what one expects is how things were handled when growing up.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 03:41 pm
Jodie--

Family traditions are just as hard to break as personal bad habits. You have that absolutely right.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 03:56 pm
The confusion arises from the title of the thread.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 09:47 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The confusion arises from the title of the thread.

I think you're right, Edgar. This should have been in the "Relationships & Marriage" section.

Jodie, a piece of unsolicited advice. Don't wait 'til you're good and angry about things your husband does or doesn't do. Tell him right away, in a kind, loving, trying to set things right manner.

The two of you, working together, with a little advice from a DIY store, could have replaced that breaker by yourselves and I think that you both would have been warmed, no pun intended, by the event.
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 05:30 pm
What is considered a man's job ? I grew up thinking repairs around the house should be a man's job.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:16 pm
Peeing standing up is a man's job. Anything other than that is up for grabs. Wink

There isn't any reason a woman can't do household repairs and many of them are quite good at it. No different than a guy vacuming the carpet or washing the dishes... IMO, it's all a matter of who has the knowledge, skills and (for the more mundane chores) the energy.
0 Replies