Marriage license

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:19 pm
Maybe she is one of those bridezillas who will stop ALL production if there is so much as a finger print on a glass..because she thinks a less then stellar perfect wedding will cause the rest of her life to be miserable..
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:56 pm
I think it's the clerk in the Licensing Bureau. Whose names were on it, and you better not call me stupid, Chai!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 06:05 am
why are we assuming this revolves around "she"?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 06:22 am
It might sound stupid (I had to look up the German meaning, since such is only know here for foreigners marrying in Germany) ... but why do you need a marriage license? Better: why do states want you to get one?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 06:56 am
Marriage is a civil ceremony as well as a religious one.

The State takes an interest in married couples for Federal, State and Local taxes.

Bigamy is frowned upon.

So is entering into a legal relationship when either party has a venereal disease.

A legal marriage posits that any children born to the wife will have been fathered by the husband who is then resposible for their support.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 07:09 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
It might sound stupid (I had to look up the German meaning, since such is only know here for foreigners marrying in Germany) ... but why do you need a marriage license? Better: why do states want you to get one?

Since that State controls who can and can't marry the license is the method of ensuring that the laws are complied with. In Germany the civil marriage is performed in the registar's office so that eliminates the need for the license.

In the U.S. you can have the marriage ceremony done as a part of a religious ceremony or by a civil magistrate of some sort (i.e. a judge, justice of the peace, ship's captian, etc... There are many people that can perform civil marriages under different conditions) outside of the registar's office and it will be recognized as a legitimate marriage.

After the marriage ceremony is completed the license is signed by the parties involved (including the person who conducted the ceremony) and returned to the registar's office. The registar then verifies that the person that conducted the ceremony is legitimate and issues the marriage certificate.

Since your marriages are performed right there in the registar's office there isn't any need to perfom that validation step hence, no need for the license. In Germany you walk in and setup an appointment. You walk out of that appointment married.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 07:18 am
Thanks, fishin and Noddy. That explains it. (In Germany, a marriage in churches is only something what is connected with tradition - and religious "laws"; it has no legal consequences at all.)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 07:55 am
Chai wrote:
why are we assuming this revolves around "she"?

because we are fickle that way

didnt occur to me it could be a fickle male.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 08:03 am
Re: Marriage license
Why are we assuming it's a "she", you ask? We're not assuming. We're going on what YOU said:

Chai wrote:
I was surprised when I saw that over the last 4 years or so, she has applied for a marriage license 3 separate times with the same person, but the marriage has never gone through.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 08:50 am
well Chai meant that SHE was the one filing.. but that doesnt mean that SHE is the entire reason things have not happened.

It does take TWO to marry ya know Wink

it could very well be him that says.. ok , lets do it..

They go file. her name is first. his is second

they get home and he starts whinning like a baby about wanting to sew some seeds before he commmits

she slaps him

he leaves

comes back smelling like perfume

she kicks him out

he lives in his car

she follows him

she takes him home bathes him and loves him

he says no more

she says ok

he says lets do it

she says ok

they go get another license

her name is first
his is second

they get home and his other girl friend calls him and he says
I cant get married

she says ok

they seperate

he goes whoring around

she is clueless

he comes back two months later with an even bigger engagment ring

she says ok

he says lets do it

they go get another license.............

Shocked
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 09:11 am
ok ok ok.....I have no idea is SHE was the one filing.

let me rephrase......a marriage license between these 2 people has been obtained 3 times in about 4 years, with no marriage taking place.

picky picky picky.

I'm still wondering if this is because of fickleness....or if there could be a practicle reason.

I'm really not interested in these 2 people per se.

The action got me thinking of possible reasons in general
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 09:33 am
shewolfnm wrote:
well Chai meant that SHE was the one filing.. but that doesnt mean that SHE is the entire reason things have not happened.

It does take TWO to marry ya know Wink

it could very well be him that says.. ok , lets do it..

They go file. her name is first. his is second

they get home and he starts whinning like a baby about wanting to sew some seeds before he commmits

she slaps him

he leaves

comes back smelling like perfume

she kicks him out

he lives in his car

she follows him

she takes him home bathes him and loves him

he says no more

she says ok

he says lets do it

she says ok

they go get another license

her name is first
his is second

they get home and his other girl friend calls him and he says
I cant get married

she says ok

they seperate

he goes whoring around

she is clueless

he comes back two months later with an even bigger engagment ring

she says ok

he says lets do it

they go get another license.............

Shocked

You should write soap operas, girl.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 10:09 am
I can't think of a practical/legal reason. Sounds like cold feet to me. Someone wants to get married, the other thinks it's a good idea after being together for so long, then starts listening to inner voices and calls it off. BTDT -- shoulda listened to the inner voices that last time too. Oh well.... the divorce was relatively painless.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 02:21 am
This is Off-Topic, but does nobody else find it weird you can just get that information on-line?

I think it is nobody's business whether I am planning to marry, or did get married, unless I chose to tell them!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 05:18 am
Yea, it does feel weird....

except that marriages, divorces, sales and purchases of land are all public information.

It's just that we can find out info now with the click of the mouse, instead of going down to the property appaisal office, or to the office of public records.

People could always find out that information, it was just more cumbersome.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 05:21 am
Chai wrote:
People could always find out that information, it was just more cumbersome.

Right. And that's exactly the same in Germany (though the online information isn't thaaat easy to find).
0 Replies