Marriage license

Chai

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 11:47 am
A marriage license is good in Texas for only 30 days.

I casually know someone who I heard in the past was going to be getting married. I got to thinking about her yesterday, and went online to the site that has license, marriage info, to see if she ever tied the knot.

I was surprised when I saw that over the last 4 years or so, she has applied for a marriage license 3 separate times with the same person, but the marriage has never gone through.

The latest date was about 3 months ago. I checked the name of someone else that I know has just gotten married in the last few weeks, and their marriage is already recorded, so I know it's not a backlog.

I'm wondering, besides the obvious "they can't make up their minds" thing, would there be any practical or legal reason a couple would keep applying for a marriage license, then not go through with it?

Both people are citizens.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,037 • Replies: 35
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 11:53 am
Well, the guy, a golfer, stipulated to the date contingent on it raining. If it didn't rain, he would be out on the links.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 11:54 am
Or, maybe it's like taking out a hunting license, just in case you spot some game.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 11:57 am
I know! I know! You've probably got to have the license to get the blood tests. So, they keep flunking, and keep hoping.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 12:01 pm
finding a justice of the peace available to do it.

it took us two weeks.
But I called almost every day, the people who were close by

three times?
no. not understood
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 12:08 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
finding a justice of the peace available to do it.

it took us two weeks.
But I called almost every day, the people who were close by

three times?
no. not understood

naw, both these people have big bucks....they wouldn't have a problem finding someone to marry them.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 04:15 pm
You said "she has applied" - is this just HER going down there and getting the paperwork?

It takes two, you know, to get married.

Maybe it's wishful thinking on her part. ("Maybe he'll marry me this weekend.")
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 04:37 pm
sullyfish6 wrote:
You said "she has applied" - is this just HER going down there and getting the paperwork?

jesus christ, you,re an idiot, you know that?

of freaking course both went down to get the license. they don't give a marriage license to one person.

god damn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 04:49 pm
mmm they don't have to both show up to get the license in all jurisdictions

not knowing your local laws doesn't make sully an idiot - asking the question was fairly sensible
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 04:52 pm
Very true.

When I married the first time, in Crosbyton, I did not have to have him present. I took his ID in with me.

The divorce... same thing Laughing

Kinda how we spent that short lived marriage anyhow..
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 05:00 pm
Chai wrote:
sullyfish6 wrote:

jesus christ, you,re an idiot, you know that?

of freaking course both went down to get the license. they don't give a marriage license to one person.

god damn

What if the person wants to marry a dog? Wouldn't they allow one person to apply then?

How else can wing nuts argue letting gays would marry would lead to people marrying dogs if the state requires 2 actual people to get a marriage license?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 05:06 pm
ok, sully's probably right.

This woman just keeps going down and getting marriage licenses because she has nothing better to do.

wait a minute, maybe it's him doing that....she's one tough cookie to break. oh pleeeease marry me, I went and got the license for the 3rd time and everything.

well, I'm glad that problem's solved. Rolling Eyes

I was wondering if there would be someone kind of legal advantage to applying for them, because....as I SO neglected to mention, even though I only casually know one of the parties, they are both very intelligent, well off people.

maybe something to do with a stipulation in a will?

something to do with real estate?

Not for these 2 necessarily, but a what if?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 05:16 pm
I dont think so.

Because, technically.. until they are MARRIED.. a permit is nothing more then a permit.
It just says Yes, you two can.. because you agreed.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 05:20 pm
Chai wrote:
I was wondering if there would be someone kind of legal advantage to applying for them, because....as I SO neglected to mention, even though I only casually know one of the parties, they are both very intelligent, well off people.

maybe something to do with a stipulation in a will?

something to do with real estate?

Not for these 2 necessarily, but a what if?

I can't think of any possible legal benefit to getting the license other than the ability to actually get married. Any legal benefit would require an actual marriage certificate (indicating that the marriage actually took place) - not just authorzation from the state to get married.

That said, a hospital might look upon the license as some measure of "connectedness" if they have a policy of restricting vistors to a patient and a mortgage lender might be willing to accept it as some sort of evidence that a couple applying for a loan intends to marry but those would be up to the individual organizations involved. There is no legal standard that says that they have to (or can't) accept it and why they'd want it would be something internal to their own processes.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 05:50 pm
Maybe she's into setting a World Guiness Book Record of the most licenses applied for.

Or maybe she's got a thing for the clerk at the License Bureau and this is the only way she can think of seeing him.

Or maybe she keeps forgetting she already did it.

Or maybe she's just getting ready in case he wants to run off and get married in Vegas.

Or maybe someone else is doing it in her name (Deliverance music).

Or maybe she's just a whackjob.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:01 pm
or maybe it is a sign from the sky god that they are wrong.

you know.. one of those miracle things.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:03 pm
Something rung a bell in my wee brain and it may offer an explaination for all of this.

The State of Texas requires a marriage license be issued if a married couple wishes to "renew their vows".

Is it possible that they actually did get married somewhere else and have either a "repeat" local ceremony (My youngest sister did that. Flew off on vacation with her finance and got married and then had the ceremony for family/friends 8 months later...) or belong to some sort of religion that does a periodic renewal (which I've seen done in several Catholic churches)?

They don't issue a marriage certificate for the renewing thing so that might explain why you don't see that in the records.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:05 pm
3 times?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:07 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
3 times?

3 times over 4 years...

Why not? Maybe they do an annual renewal of vows. *shrugs*
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 06:09 pm
just give her a call and ask . tell her you are just nosy - she might understand . Laughing
hbg
0 Replies