Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 01:00 pm
So cherries are out, and at a reasonable price right now and I've got a whole bunch of them.

Does anyone have anything fantastic to do with them?

Besides eating them plain, and in a desert or homemade popsicle - looking for something that can stay in the 'healthy' category of eating.

I don't know much about using cherries except for preserves, so any salads or interesting ways you know to eat em?

Mmm.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,100 • Replies: 14
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 01:09 pm
cut them in to small slivers ( TIME CONSUMING ) sprinkle them in to egg salad, over freshy scrambled eggs .

Throw a handfull into the blender with a little shake of salt and about 1/4 cup of water and blend until smooth..

dip breads, cookies and other good stuff in it.. Cool
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 01:15 pm
My favourite summer meal is bowls and bowls of cold cherry soup - the way mrs. hamburger makes it (and the way I figgered out to replicate it).

I've been trying to find an online recipe that has ingredient amounts.

The January 7, 2008 post here

http://www.cherrysoup.net/

is very close - though we don't use cream in ours. We have mini-dumplings instead.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 01:23 pm
I love eating cherries raw...one time I ate about 15. For some reason on the 16th one I decided to split it with my fingers first and take the pit out...there was a little white worm in it...every one I split after that had a little white worm in it....ew. I am thinking I got a little more protein than I might have otherwise.

I stew my cherries in about a 1/2 cup sugar (around three cups of cherries) Of course pitted. While they are boiling on med low heat I add a little tapioca to thicken them. I let them cool then I take canned biscuits and roll them out flat. - I put a spoonfull of the cherries in them and fold it over pressing the edges with a fork and bake them in the oven for the recommended amount of time on the can of biscuits.

Cherry turnovers...and quite yummy too.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 01:30 pm
ohhhhhhhh man

can I come over to YOUR house and eat?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 01:37 pm
anytime!
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 01:41 pm
Thanks. So far, so good! Yum, yum.

That fruit stew/soup will be made for sure. My stepdad used to make it but I had forgotten about that. Good in summer.

Good memories too. But it's always so darn hard to try to get it just right - I miss my german cooks! Smile

No blender, but I'm going to try shewolfie's in my food processor. Might work.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 02:01 pm
CHERRY SOUP WITH DUMPLINGS

Quote:
Cherry Soup with Dumplings

This recipe, also known as Kirschsuppe, is an ethnic Christmas tradition.

More information about the origins of this recipe can be found at the following website: Pomeranian Traditions

4 cups of tart cherries, pitted
4 cups water
1/2 to 3/4 cups sugar (sweeten to taste)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp lemon juice
Bring cherries, water, sugar and cinnamon to boil. Add lemon juice and simmer ten minutes.

3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cup flour
Beat eggs with milk. Add one cup of flour and mix until smooth. Add remaining flour. Drop by teaspoons into simmering soup. Continue to simmer five minutes uncovered. Soup is delicious hot or cold.
Source of recipe: B Krueger, Two Rivers

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/food/img/dec02/soup121102_big.jpg

another POMERANIAN speciality :

http://www.dogpage.us/pomeranian2.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 02:05 pm
you eat dogs with cherries? Shocked

yanks..
(shakes head)

my gosh..
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 02:12 pm
Thanks hamburger! Looks good.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 03:01 pm
Quote:
you eat dogs with cherries?

were you looking for a recipe ??? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 03:10 pm
Cheeries are too expensive here...about $5/pound.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 03:11 pm
Michigan used to be the cherry capital of the world and still lays some claim to the title. I met the Cherry Queen a couple years ago (heck of a title, eh?). She was drop dead gorgeous with a personality to match. And no, bpb, I didn't get a look at her cherry. Wink

Most cherries grow in the US are actually the sour/tart varieties that you mix with sugar to make pie/tart fillings. The Bing and Ranier (striped yellow) cherries are the sweets that you find in the grocery store produce section. They are best eaten fresh, though sweet cherry ice cream is one of my favorites.

Meet Kaley Schroeder, 2006 National Cherry Queen.

http://www.cherryfestival.org/royalty/queeens/kaley_schroeder2006.jpg
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 03:49 pm
Cute.

Sure beats the Miss Hooters sash.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 05:07 pm
Pic doesn't do her justice. Absolutely stunning in person, wonderful outgoing personality. So often pageant queens are so shallow, not her. We entered an old fire truck in a parade and as she made her way to whatever she rode on, she stopped and talked with everyone waiting their turn. What a sweetheart.
0 Replies