do I really have to be an electrician to do this? Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,981 • Replies: 25
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:43 am
No. But, you do have to be savvy enough to get the connections right.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:48 am
Most importantly: It needs to be secured properly so none of the
blades will come down...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:52 am
How to Install a Ceiling Fan:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-do-home-electrical-repairs9.htm
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:59 am
Re: Installing a ceiling fan
shewolfnm wrote:
Warnings are every where..

do I really have to be an electrician to do this? Confused

i've put up about 10 in the last 15 years and all work and none have fallen down

the most important thing is making sure the box in the ceiling is secure and the fan is secured to said box properly
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:01 am
Warning: I understand wanting to do this project yourself as it seems straight-forward enough. These are all of the possible areas or concern I could think of, though some might NOT consider these an issue (your mileage may vary). I'm VERY conservative and safety conscious as I've seen what can happen when people who have no experience do the wrong thing.

No! But ... here are the conditions where I wouldn't do it if I were in your insulated (shoes):

If you never have wired anything or if there are other people around who have done wiring before

If you have no insulated tools even though you will shut off the power when working on the unit

If you are color blind (following wire color codes is essential)

If there are no instructions included with this unit that make sense to you after reading completely before touching the installation.

If you don't know where your circuit breakers are or have never opened the electrical panel up

If you don't know what the current rating of the circuit that you're connected and what it's existing demand is (15 amps, 20 amps, etc). Example: Is there an A/c unit or another high current drawing device (hair dryer) in that same circuit?

If the fan has a light it makes it slightly more complicated, perhaps let someone else do it.

If the wiring in the ceiling where you want to hang this fan has access problems, consider letting an electrician or qualified handy man do it. (This one is what stopped me from doing it).

If you don't mind having your arms over your head for at least 15 minutes.

If you are not sure whether the fan box and fan after installation can be secured with a solid mechanical support.

Have I given you enough info? My intent here with these warnings is to make sure your safe and you don't hurt yourself, your property or the fan.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:06 am
Since you addressed only the electrical aspect, I didn't offer other advice. If you know how to secure the connections properly - That's the question to ask yourself. The warnings are generally in excess to protect from lawsuits.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:07 am
I have never -

installed anything electrical beyond screwing in a bulb

I know where the circut breakers are..

I do not know how to check the strength of the.. ceiling .. if that makes sense?

I dont know if I CAN put in a ceiling fan into the light sockets/area/hole

Ian... done any installing? Laughing...... next question please..

ehhhhh

Ill get someone to do it i guess

I have read the instructions
Read lowes website , home depots and a few others on 'how to'

Still not feeling 100% confident..
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:08 am
shewolfnm wrote:
I have never -

installed anything electrical beyond screwing in a bulb

I know where the circut breakers are..

I do not know how to check the strength of the.. ceiling .. if that makes sense?

I dont know if I CAN put in a ceiling fan into the light sockets/area/hole

Ian... done any installing? Laughing...... next question please..

ehhhhh

Ill get someone to do it i guess

I have read the instructions
Read lowes website , home depots and a few others on 'how to'

Still not feeling 100% confident..

A wise decision.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:11 am
one more warning:

If there is no existing wiring or fixture in place where you are hanging the fan, stop right there. I'd advise hiring an electrician at that point.

{Edit: oh just read the comment....good choice...shewolf}
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:53 am
Shewolf
You didn't specify if you are replacing an existing ceiling fan or are you installing a new one in an existing light fixture electrical installation. This is important to know. You also don't know anything about the building's electricity installations and if they were done properly. A new fan will draw more electricity than a typical light fixture. You don't know how much capacity the building, and your unit, provides without blowing fuses and causing fires.

Be very careful!

BBB
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 12:03 pm
Warning: most existing octagon boxes have not been properly rated nor properly installed for use as a ceiling fan junction box!

There are proper octagon boxes rated for ceiling fans and there are proper methodologies to safely affix them.

A standard octagon box, normally mounted, will not meet these specs, and is definitely a mechanical risk.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 12:21 pm
its an existing light fixture..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/2521206661_2c467191c2_b.jpg
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 07:52 am
Shewolf
Don't go near that light fixture!

The wiring will probably have to be replaced. Still don't know if it will support a fan.

If you want that fan, have an electrician do a thorough evaluation and any installation.

BBB
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:37 pm
No, the wiring will probably not have to be changed, unless the fan is drawing more current than allowed for the given circuit configuration, which while possible, is not overly likely.

The biggest singe risk as discussed is mechanical. It's a fair batch of weight, and a fair blob of rotating mass. As mentioned, most existing octagon boxes have not been properly rated nor properly installed for use as a ceiling fan junction box!

There are proper octagon boxes rated for ceiling fans and there are proper methodologies to safely affix them. A standard octagon box, normally mounted, will not meet these specs, and is definitely a mechanical risk.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:42 pm
I found a really neat guy to come by and do this for relatively cheap.

Since I have all the tools, parts and attic access that wont kill him if he needs it, it should be an easy job.

He said pretty much all the same stuff you did Chumly.. asking me about a box, existing light fixture, electrical current.. ppbbthh.. as if I would know all that.
Then he took a look at it.

Maybe later next week I will have a fan, and a good understanding of how to do it if I want to ever try it myself.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:44 pm
How much did he charge?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:45 pm
Since he said pretty much all the same stuff I did, then he's the right man for the job.........of course I would say that Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:45 pm
1/2 his usual hourly rate.

instead of charging by the job

unsure of how much it will cost total but.. he is competitive with the lowes quote I got.. and that was pretty low
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:53 pm
30$
0 Replies