I'm going skiing!

Wilso

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 05:57 am
My total exposure to snow is 45 minutes on a school trip 33 years ago, where I actually got to make and throw a few snowballs. Now at the age of 42, I'm actually going to ski for the first time, for 3 days in July. Anyone got any advice that will help me avoid a broken leg? I'm going to look pretty silly next to the 5-year-olds. Luckily the hostel we're staying at has a spa to soak the bruises in at the end of the day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,580 • Replies: 1
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 06:30 am
Take time for a lesson or two. Once you get the "counterintuitive" action that results in you successfully making a turn, then you can go to higher "diamond" slopes.

The hardest thing to get new students to appreciate is that, when you want to turn right, you lean left, or in -parallel, you weight and unweight the ski in the opposite side of your desired turn. Its easily accomplished many people "get it" on their first try and others take longer.

Good Luck and start with the low slopes first.

I always used to ski drunk because youre much looser. I wouldnt advise that just starting out though, you tend to think of yourself as immortal and , youre not. (no breaking news there )
0 Replies