Where should I take my 16 year old?

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 09:50 am
My son's father wishes to have a father/son bonding fishing trip. Now mind you, he is pretty well off financially and plans on taking him to Hawaii or Alaska. His idea of fishing is not self guided.

I would like to take my daughter somewhere during the same time but can't afford anything pricey. I was originally thinking a 4 day Mexico cruise would be fun but too expensive.

So I want to do something really cool for her but I'm sure it will involve either a roadtrip or train travel.

Any suggestions within the Northwest states?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,022 • Replies: 18
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 10:12 am
What interests does your daughter have? fashion? food? outdoors? sports?literary stuff? media?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:25 am
What's your budget?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:36 am
I live up near Seattle and last NOV I took my 13 year old on Amtrak down to San Francisco. I think that a sleeper is required as I will not sleep in a seat so it gets somewhat pricey, but it is a nice trip and it is impossible to have a bad time in SF. This train was out of service for a long while because of a mudslide, so it is possible that if you act now you can get good prices. See Amtrak.com, expect Amtrak fare including food and small room to run you about $600 RT.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:49 am
My budget is under $1000.00(or about that) Her interests are beach, boys, shopping, rollercoasters. She's not into museums but I like to try and get some educational value out of trips.

My initial thought would be the 4 day cruise, that way we could just hang in the sun.

Amtrak is a great idea, I'll look into that!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 11:57 am
Marty, check out JetBlue, I just took random days in June from Seattle to San Diego for instance, and it cost for 2 adults $ 219/roundtrip.

In San Diego we have beaches, a 100 year old wooden roller coaster,
and plenty of boys and shopping.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 01:05 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Marty, check out JetBlue, I just took random days in June from Seattle to San Diego for instance, and it cost for 2 adults $ 219/roundtrip.

In San Diego we have beaches, a 100 year old wooden roller coaster,
and plenty of boys and shopping.

Given the budget and air fare this is a super idea, and I would make a day trip to mexico.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 06:44 pm
San Diego sounds great! Will look at JetBlue------Thanks
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 07:04 pm
cheapest way is to drive, then have a cheap hotel.

Buy your food from the grocery and keep it in a cooler...

and just DRIVE..

stop when you see something interesting..

spend a few days on the road. Enjoy yourself with no time limit
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 08:01 pm
of course , san diego has the famous HOTEL DEL CORONADO !!!
we took the city bus to the hotel and had breakfast there - an inexpensive treat - i'm reasonably sure even a teenager will enjoy it - and it's got a beach on it's doorstep - with lots of boys in muscle shirts :wink:
hbg

http://www.jewishsightseeing.com/2007-sdjw/2007-10-sdjw/2007-10-14-sunday167/turretsignature.jpg

and ... where the boys are !

http://new-surfingtips.com/San-Diego-surf-2008.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 May, 2008 08:09 pm
Well, you don't have to stay at the Del, given a budget, but it's a good visit for sure.

Calamity gave us a bit of a SD tour on the Stoatmobile thread, oh, maybe a year ago.

Signed, another SD fan.

Me, I wouldn't do TJ on this trip. Mexico as a country warrants another longer trip another time.

I'd mention Bend, Oregon, but I've not been there myself... so I'll just type those words.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 12:12 am
The Oregon coast is definitely a favorite of ours. We try to get to Seaside,OR once a year. They have a long paved walkway along the beach and a small aquarium where you can feed sea lions and lots of cute little shops. There is even an arcade with some small boardwalk type rides.

I believe Oregon has a Shakespear festival every year too.

I think my daughter would enjoy CA, her grandparents live near Sacramento so the kids get down there a few times a year.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 06:43 am
Cool

austin is realllllllly cool.

I can show you how to have fun REALLY cheap here ..
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 09:55 am
I've never spent any time in Texas so pardon my lack of geographical knowledge. Where within the state is Austin located?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:02 am
Another idea is to go to Vancouver, either drive, Amtrak, or by boat. I have not been there but have wanted to, and have researched it on the net. They have great shopping, and lots of cultural stuff to do. The downside is that with the dollar tanking this is more pricey than it once was.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:05 am
I don't know if your daughter is the outdoorsy type at all but one of my favorite get-aways is the Lake Crescent Lodge in Olympic National Park.

http://www.lakecrescentlodge.com/

Expensive enough to feel special but not too expensive.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:08 am
martybarker wrote:
I've never spent any time in Texas so pardon my lack of geographical knowledge. Where within the state is Austin located?
center /south-ish..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:28 am
I remember visiting family in the Seattle area and wanting to take the ferry to Canada. The Clipper goes to Victoria, Vancouver and San Juan Islands - the San Juan Islands look awesome to me. And the bonus - children travel free! I believe it is until they are 18.

Here is the link:
http://www.clippervacations.com/destinations/sanjuans.html
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:37 am
Linkat wrote:
I remember visiting family in the Seattle area and wanting to take the ferry to Canada. The Clipper goes to Victoria, Vancouver and San Juan Islands - the San Juan Islands look awesome to me. And the bonus - children travel free! I believe it is until they are 18.

Here is the link:
http://www.clippervacations.com/destinations/sanjuans.html

YES!!!!!!! Come to Vancouver! And you can both stay at my place so you'll save on hotel costs - come on up, marty! (When is this, by the way?)

We have lots of shopping, boys, restaurants... Playland is open (roller coaster and tons of rides)...
0 Replies