Which one is more comfortable - Wood or leather bed?

Fri 23 May, 2008 09:36 am
I need to buy a new bed. After some years of using metal bed, now I want to choose between a leather and a wood bed. Could you pls tell me which type is more comfortable?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,341 • Replies: 18
Topic Closed
No top replies

Ragman

Fri 23 May, 2008 10:00 am
Mattress and support
Are you talking about the material of the headboard? If so, that doesn't make much sense because the comfort of the bed is dependent on the mattress and boxspring (foundation support). The makeup of the material of the headboard is purely cosmetic not a functional one..As long as it connects and the foundation itself supports properly, it's about looks.

I've sold furniture and bedding professionally so I'm unclear about your question.
0 Replies

mistakenidentity

Fri 23 May, 2008 10:15 am
Thank you for your explanation. I didn't know that the headboard only has cosmetic use. So you think I should spend more money on mattress?
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 23 May, 2008 10:35 am
As a former professional bedding sales representative, I'd suggest investing what you can afford and put the money were it matters most..in the foundation and support...a high quality mattress and boxspring. As I wrote before, the headboard (and footboard) should be a secondary concern as it is ONLY about fashion bot functionality.

In a conventionally designed bedding set, there is a frame (picture an H) shape) that the headboard and footboard clips or screws onto. This frame often is about $50-$100 and the boxspring and mattress rests on this metal frame. This frame is functional and is not an esthetic concern as it's barely is visible.

FYI, because I've seen how good bedding makes all the difference with comfort, health and good sleep, I spent $1500 on my mattress and boxspring. You don't HAVE to spend that much, but if you can afford to, it's WELL worth it.

Typical spending for bedding can range between $500-$2000 (or higher) with a majority between $650-$1500 for a high quality bedding set. In the long run, a quality purchase ...if you spend it right ... will be cheaper as it will last longer. Bedding that sells for $500 tends to not keep it's comfort more than 5-6 years before you notice a problem.

If you're furnishing a guest room, bedding for $500 or lower is reasonable but often isn't a good choice for someone's sleep comfort on an every night basis (or someone with back pain issues).

Some people don't know their discomfort but soon discover it when they sleep on a different bed..like at a hotel or a relative's house. THEN they realize their bed has gone soft or has shifted springs..etc.

Does this help?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Fri 23 May, 2008 10:40 am
I have two beds in my house. One has a wooden headboard and the other has a leather one.

As Ragman notes, there's no difference in the "comfort" that relates to the material. But things like the angle of the headboard and if it has carvings can make a difference.

My last wood headboard had sharp corners on some of the ornate carvings in it and that was certainly uncomfortable.
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 23 May, 2008 10:43 am
robert: How so? Do you mean the carvings touched your head?
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 23 May, 2008 10:56 am
speak for yourself guys....that wood can be awful hard banging on the top of your head.

bump.....bump.....bump.....bump bum bump bump bumpbumpbumpbump

ow
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 23 May, 2008 10:57 am
Move down and away from headboard. Right?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Fri 23 May, 2008 10:58 am
Ragman wrote:
robert: How so? Do you mean the carvings touched your head?

Yeah, the face of the headboard had carvings that had sharp corners. When sitting in bed leaning against the headboard it was sometimes uncomfortable.
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 23 May, 2008 11:00 am
Ragman wrote:
Move down and away from headboard. Right?

well ya just keep getting pushed back up there again. Cool

the headboard's the only thing that keep me from putting a hole in the wall.

don't go suggesting perpendicular....then I just end up on the floor.
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 23 May, 2008 11:04 am
I can't suggest much there. LOL! You got me, Chai!

Wait...what about a crash helmet? Bike helmets are light and ventilated..and can be pretty fashionable and could add some spice your intimate moments. You can fantasize about riding in Tour De France.

Anyhow, back to the topic and helping the author of the thread!

Ok...there's a point made here and I see the error of my ways.

Go for leather..as it is the logical comfort difference and is aesthetically pleasing to most. The trend is that they sell more leather headboards than any other material. BTW, many vinyl (fake leather) headboards are cheap looking or will eventually crack. BTW, leather should be treated with some leather conditioner 2-4x per year, perhaps.
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 23 May, 2008 11:13 am
yes, and the leather is much softer to your head.
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 23 May, 2008 11:16 am
Chai, yes I agree. My focus obviously here was on the sleep comfort. Clearly soft material for your head to rest on while love-making is a different matter. Of course, using a pillow between your head and the headboard solves a lot of problems but you can't always count that it will stay in place.
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 23 May, 2008 11:23 am
When did I ever say anything about making love?

god ragman, you've got a dirty mind.
0 Replies

Wally Tea

Fri 23 May, 2008 11:30 am
Ragman wrote:
I can't suggest much there. LOL! You got me, Chai!

Wait...what about a crash helmet? Bike helmets are light and ventilated..and can be pretty fashionable and could add some spice your intimate moments. You can fantasize about riding in Tour De France.

not the kind of fantasy that i normally do, but maybe we should try it
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 23 May, 2008 11:34 am
you fantasize wally?
0 Replies

Wally Tea

Fri 23 May, 2008 11:36 am
Chai wrote:
you fantasize wally?

actually, yes

(usually i am the lone ranger and you are tonto)
0 Replies

Chai

Fri 23 May, 2008 11:50 am
Wally, you lie! You would never fantasize about being a white man.

You know you pretend to be the Apache warrior and I'm the lost prarie maiden.
0 Replies

ameliaharry654

Fri 30 Nov, 2018 02:04 am
@mistakenidentity,
Are you talking about material or mattress?
0 Replies